Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 21, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #2,643 of 4,889
I didn't, but thanks for confirming that it is a common thing.

*scratches D8000 Pro limited Edition from wishlist*
I have the D8000 and have had it pretty loud at times (never use EQ). I never heard this bass distortion people talk about. IMO you'd have to listen to this headphone at pretty extreme volumes AND use bass EQ to force the issue.

This is a great headphone, but I don't regard it as a basshead's dream headphone. The bass is too accurate and level (not hyped) to satisfy confirmed bassheads.

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #2,644 of 4,889
I use a bass shelf (Near 6,8 db) on my D8K pro and never had that problem, but I listen to healthy volume levels (65-70 db avg max).

I've seen people having that issue with both the regular and the pro. It's obvious that it is a flaw and shouldnt be there. So if you listen to high vol levels, they are not for you.

However, If you can make a perfectly fine unit clip, you should consider lowering your volume in your sessions if you wanna keep listening to headphones for a long time ...

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #2,645 of 4,889
However, If you can make a perfectly fine unit clip, you should consider lowering your volume in your sessions if you wanna keep listening to headphones for a long time ...
...if you want to continue having acoustic conversations, period. Too much/too often listening at extreme volumes means you'll wind up needing some pretty extreme hearing aids.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #2,646 of 4,889
...if you want to continue having acoustic conversations, period. Too much/too often listening at extreme volumes means you'll wind up needing some pretty extreme hearing aids.
Totally. I really take care of my ears cause I already Fd up them on my youth playing drums and going to concerts.
People need to be more aware of this and change their habits.
I know way too many people that consider normal listening to music at very high volume levels.

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #2,647 of 4,889
That problem was one of the reasons to release D8K Pro, only D8K had it
¿Cómo andas amigo mío :beerchug: ? Still with one pair of headphones? You are very strong... in this forum... :relieved: I know you love them but if you read here and there, then one amazon (or whatever) package will arrive soon at your door... Or do you only visit this thread? (and some of the DAC and amplifiers sub-forums... I know that :wink:)

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #2,648 of 4,889
A friend of mine had a D8K Pro loaner and told me he experienced some distortion in the Bass on higher volumes (Especially when using a bass shelf)

Anyone else who encountered this issue?
His Focal and Meze were fine with the same settings
Is this the same issue I've read that Focal Clear also have?

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #2,649 of 4,889
Well I want to add a Planar headphone in my collection. I like HD6XX And 800 series and ZMF.
I’m torn between Susvara and D8K. Good Vocals, smooth treble and timbre is important to me. I listen at low volume so clipping is not an issue.
One negative with Susvara is need for speaker amp which I don’t have.
Suggestion welcome.

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #2,650 of 4,889
Well I want to add a Planar headphone in my collection. I like HD6XX And 800 series and ZMF.
I’m torn between Susvara and D8K. Good Vocals, smooth treble and timbre is important to me. I listen at low volume so clipping is not an issue.
One negative with Susvara is need for speaker amp which I don’t have.
Suggestion welcome.
I think it depends what you're after. I myself love the ZMF sound as well and have Aeolus, VC and Atrium in my collection. Recently I was able to get my hands on a used D8k non Pro and I enjoy them very much. They replaced my Hifiman Arya V2, which were too shouty in the treble for my linking. The warmer tuning of D8k really suits my preference and they excel in resolution and bass extension. Very detailed treble but never harsh in any way. ZMF still takes the crown in timbre and naturalness especially in the midrange. I tend to use the D8k for live and electronic music and Atrium/VC for acoustic music. Not that D8k would be bad at this kind of music. Especially Atrium are just crazy good at it. So if you're looking for a similar sound in planar form the D8k(pro) might be the right pick for you - Pro if you prefer a more neutral tuning. I haven't heard Susvara myself but as you already mention yourself they put the burden of the rest of the chain on you. D8k sound good on pretty much everything - but at the same time also scale very well with better equipment.

Aug 22, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,651 of 4,889
I think it depends what you're after. I myself love the ZMF sound as well and have Aeolus, VC and Atrium in my collection. Recently I was able to get my hands on a used D8k non Pro and I enjoy them very much. They replaced my Hifiman Arya V2, which were too shouty in the treble for my linking. The warmer tuning of D8k really suits my preference and they excel in resolution and bass extension. Very detailed treble but never harsh in any way. ZMF still takes the crown in timbre and naturalness especially in the midrange. I tend to use the D8k for live and electronic music and Atrium/VC for acoustic music. Not that D8k would be bad at this kind of music. Especially Atrium are just crazy good at it. So if you're looking for a similar sound in planar form the D8k(pro) might be the right pick for you - Pro if you prefer a more neutral tuning. I haven't heard Susvara myself but as you already mention yourself they put the burden of the rest of the chain on you. D8k sound good on pretty much everything - but at the same time also scale very well with better equipment.
I agree with all of it.

I'm not a fan of Hifiman's voicing of TOTL planars these days. Too bright. I haven't heard the Susvara (can't afford it anyway), but I read too many comments about its emphatic treble to ignore.

Planar and dynamic drivers are different and they sound different. I found it a lot easier to find musical/enjoyable dynamic driver headphones than planar driver headphones. The Final D8000 broke my long losing string w/open-back planars (had 6 or 7, but for various reasons, none were keepers). The D8000 definitely is a keeper, especially once I swapped the stock earpads for the D8000 Pro's "G" pads (it made a real & positive difference in the sound).

Compared to pretty much any ZMF dynamic, the Final D8000 is not a warm headphone. But it has a slight touch of warmth; and more to the point, it doesn't push upper mids & treble at me the way some headphones do. It's rather neutral, also rather musical.

I'm a real ZMF fanboy (own Ori, Aeolus, Verite Open; owned Atticus, Eikon, Atrium), and IMO the Final D8000 w/"G" pads is a perfect sonic foil for these great ZMF headphones.

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #2,652 of 4,889
Would you say Atrium is a good complement to D8K? I imagine Atrium will be better at dynamics and probably soundstage, enough so to consider it?

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #2,654 of 4,889
Would you say Atrium is a good complement to D8K? I imagine Atrium will be better at dynamics and probably soundstage, enough so to consider it?
(you're asking me?)

I no longer have the Atrium but had it for 3-4 months, wrote a very positive review of it and respect it greatly. I think pretty much everyone should consider the Atrium. It may be the best all-around dynamic driver headphone out there, though I love my Verite Open to pieces and find it to be great with every genre, too.

The Atrium is better than just about any other headphone I've heard in soundstaging. The way it renders space is endgame, really exceptional. The D8000 is above average in soundstaging, particularly for a planar driver (some of which don't soundstage so well)--but the Atrium wins that category handily.

As for dynamics, the Atrium is pretty good there also, but the D8000 is close there.

The D8000 pulls ahead in that dense note quality, stop/start speed and low distortion sound that really good planars excel at.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,655 of 4,889
How does the D8000 compare to Empyrean?
(again, if you're asking me)

I loved the look and feel of the original Empyrean. I found the sound to be quite lovely and relaxing. The ease of swapping those two excellent sets of earpads is wonderful; I wish all other headphones had magnetic attachments like it. But the Empyrean in general has a diffuse sound with great tonal color but only average resolution.

The D8000 is voiced very differently. There is nothing diffuse about its sound, which is exact, finite and detailed, top to bottom. Yet despite the high resolution, it's not tiring at all in the upper mids and treble.

I heard the Empyrean Elite several times at CanJam NYC this year and was quite impressed. It had more resolution and less diffuse sound than the original, yet still sounded lovely. I'd love to compare the Elite to the D8000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back