Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 8, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #2,371 of 4,963
Thanks for the advice again. The pads feel quite good actually, but Im defo trying some pad rolling in the near future. Would love to find any perforated leather that fits and don't change the sound too much. Will see if my kennerton pads fit tomorrow.
Congrats on getting yours! Mine are still on their way. So you'll be first with the Rognir comparison 😉

Apr 8, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #2,372 of 4,963
Congrats on getting yours! Mine are still on their way. So you'll be first with the Rognir comparison 😉
Thank you! Pretty so happy so far. Never tried the Rögnirs, but had a few Kennerton in the past that I could compare. Still need spend some time with them, but they are just what I expected, the best all rounder planar that I've tried.

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #2,374 of 4,963
Hey guys, I'm getting a lot of glare with my D8000 with certain tracks I'm listening to. Especially listing to the beginning of Stick Figure - Breathe with the keyboard melody. Do you guys hear this glare?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #2,376 of 4,963
IMHO the Final's headband design leaves much to be desired. The underband padding is just so-so. But the worst aspect of this design is the roller-coaster vertical adjustment of each earcup. Each earcup changes vertical position every time you put this headphone on and take it off.
I have the same problem like you and I miss a locking mechanism. I wonder if tightening those 2 small screws will not help. Anyway, not a big problem to arrange them again.

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #2,377 of 4,963
IMHO the Final's headband design leaves much to be desired. The underband padding is just so-so. But the worst aspect of this design is the roller-coaster vertical adjustment of each earcup. Each earcup changes vertical position every time you put this headphone on and take it off.

A friend of mine sent me 2 magical little rubber bands that he'd found somewhere and adapted for his Final D8000K. See the picture below; there is one on each bottom/side of the headband (left & right).
  • These little bands are tight, not easy to stretch over the black circular discs that indicate "R" and "L"
  • But once I got the bands on and adjusted each for ideal distance of each earcup from the top of the headband, I've never needed to adjust them again
I'm sure you could do exactly the same thing w/any small rubber bands, though it might mean looping them once or twice to get the fit right.

P1010529 (35%).jpg
Agree about the head-band padding, but not about the yokes; the ear cups on mine haven't moved from where I set them 3 years ago.

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #2,378 of 4,963
Hey guys, I'm getting a lot of glare with my D8000 with certain tracks I'm listening to. Especially listing to the beginning of Stick Figure - Breathe with the keyboard melody. Do you guys hear this glare?
What amp are you using w/the D8K? What cable? And what DAC? Any/all can contribute to brightness.

I did have a bit of glare at the start w/my D8000--honestly, it was more like "more resolution than I signed up for"--before I switched the D8K's stock pads to the D8000 Pro's stock "G" pads. Those pads aren't cheap, but they produced subtle sonic changes, all in the right direction (a bit less upper midrange emphasis; a bit more & thicker bass).

I've also found the D8K to be a little more amp-finicky than other planars. For the first time ever I get significantly better sound out of one SS amp (Monoprice Liquid Gold X) than another (Violectric V281, my best). To be clear, this headphone never sounds outright bad--just better on some amps than others.

Also got excellent sound out of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2, an inexpensive but very sonically pleasing SS design.

Apr 9, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #2,379 of 4,963
What amp are you using w/the D8K? What cable? And what DAC? Any/all can contribute to brightness.

I did have a bit of glare at the start w/my D8000--honestly, it was more like "more resolution than I signed up for"--before I switched the D8K's stock pads to the D8000 Pro's stock "G" pads. Those pads aren't cheap, but they produced subtle sonic changes, all in the right direction (a bit less upper midrange emphasis; a bit more & thicker bass).

I've also found the D8K to be a little more amp-finicky than other planars. For the first time ever I get significantly better sound out of one SS amp (Monoprice Liquid Gold X) than another (Violectric V281, my best). To be clear, this headphone never sounds outright bad--just better on some amps than others.

Also got excellent sound out of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2, an inexpensive but very sonically pleasing SS design.
I have a couple of setups.
DAC:
  1. Qutest
  2. Pontus II
  3. D90
Amp:
  1. P26 w/V6 Vivid preamp with FA-12 @ medium gain
  2. Soloist GT @ high gain
Cable:
  1. Silver-plated OCC
  2. Silver-plated OFC
I consider my amp output to be bright and I like that, however there's no glare with my other headphones. I'm currently using the Brainwavz gaming earpads, I like them and I'm not sure I would want to spend $80 USD on G pads though. I also have leather earpads for it too and haven't noticed much of a sonic difference. For cables, I mainly use the silver-plated OCC cable, when I switch over to the silver-plated OFC cable the glare is slightly reduced. At low volumes it's not present, moving the volume up to 75 dB this where glare starts.

At the moment, my solution is to reduce 900-1000 Hz with EQ.

1649537401803.png

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #2,380 of 4,963
I have a couple of setups.
DAC:
  1. Qutest
  2. Pontus II
  3. D90
Amp:
  1. P26 w/V6 Vivid preamp with FA-12
  2. Soloist GT
Cable:
  1. Silver-plated OCC
  2. Silver-plated OFC
I consider my amp output to be bright and I like that, however there's no glare with my other headphones. I'm currently using the Brainwavz gaming earpads, I like them and I'm not sure I would want to spend $80 USD on G pads though. I also have leather earpads for it too and haven't noticed much of a sonic difference. For cables, I mainly use the silver-plated OCC cable, when I switch over to the silver-plated OFC cable the glare is slightly reduced. At low volumes it's not present, moving the volume up to 75 dB this where glare starts.

At the moment, my solution is to reduce 900-1000 Hz with EQ.

1649537401803.png
Thanks for answering.

I could comment on this or that element of your system, but here's all that matters: in my experience, the D8000 is an extremely high resolution planar. It doesn't care what kind of gear you put in front of/or after it. It will just reflect that setup's sound 100%, no punches pulled.

So I suspect your issue w/glare is at least partially selt-inflicted: for example, use of a delta-sigma DAC & silver wire at the same time will almost certainly push this headphone into "reveal a little too much" mode. Synergy between components (or the lack of it) is quite unpredictable, so I can't even guess which setup sounds best to you. I'm just speaking in general terms.

You also would help reduce any possible glare by changing to the "G" pads. I know $80 isn't cheap, but we're talking about one of the premiere planar headphones on the scene today. If any headphone deserves an $80 earpad investment, the D8000 does IMO.

I use an NOS/R2R DAC + TOTL copper cables, and to my treble-averse ears, this headphone is a very resolving but musical design. Still, I'm careful not to push it in the direction of brightness, because it definitely goes there if pushed...

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,381 of 4,963
For example, use of a delta-sigma DAC & silver wire at the same time will almost certainly push this headphone into "reveal a little too much" mode.**

I use an NOS/R2R DAC + TOTL copper cables, and to my treble-averse ears, this headphone is a very resolving but musical design. Still, I'm careful not to push it in the direction of brightness, because it definitely goes there if pushed...

‘Resolving but musical’: Amen! A wondrous situation!

** I think of the ending of the film Man With The X-Ray Eyes starring Ray Milland: “pluck them out!”…

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #2,382 of 4,963
Thanks for answering.

I could comment on this or that element of your system, but here's all that matters: in my experience, the D8000 is an extremely high resolution planar. It doesn't care what kind of gear you put in front of/or after it. It will just reflect that setup's sound 100%, no punches pulled.

So I suspect your issue w/glare is at least partially selt-inflicted: for example, use of a delta-sigma DAC & silver wire at the same time will almost certainly push this headphone into "reveal a little too much" mode. Synergy between components (or the lack of it) is quite unpredictable, so I can't even guess which setup sounds best to you. I'm just speaking in general terms.

You also would help reduce any possible glare by changing to the "G" pads. I know $80 isn't cheap, but we're talking about one of the premiere planar headphones on the scene today. If any headphone deserves an $80 earpad investment, the D8000 does IMO.

Thanks for your input. I think I'll live with it for now and enjoy the music. I would like to go grab the original cable to do a test but the original "origami style" box is a hassle to unbox to get to the cable.

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #2,383 of 4,963
I have the same problem like you and I miss a locking mechanism. I wonder if tightening those 2 small screws will not help. Anyway, not a big problem to arrange them again.
i own a 8000 and 8000 pro. from time to time (once every month or two) i may check the adjustment but my units do not have this issue. wondering if there is something wrong with your unit, or maybe the slider somehow got slick from the oil off your fingers and needs to be cleaned? don't know, but from my perspective the issue is not normal.

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #2,384 of 4,963
i have a question for D8000 and D8000 Pro users. Do any of you feel that the headphone continues to change its sound beyond what may be considered normal burn-in. more so than other headphones, on both units with several hundred hours and a couple of years of use, i still feel the headphones are changing sound. i understand from one day to the next, certain conditions or even one's mood could account for perceived changes, but my experience is beyond that. for example, i feel the unit has continually gotten warmer sounding and maybe even less clear and resolute. still some of the best headphones around, but these changes, however subtle they are, are not to my liking. I got to thinking, there's no law of the universe that says a headphone has to stop changing and many people feel somehow that burn in always leads to better sound, and it definitely did for me on these units, initially, but at this point i am beginning to wonder. i feel the lower midrange frequencies are becoming more prominent (congesting and recessing vocals). it's always been neutral to ever so slightly warm of neutral in the lower midrange but now it feels slightly but noticeably more warm than neutral. always wondered about that a little, to be honest, but now i am definitely feeling that way. BTW, my system configuration has not changed. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #2,385 of 4,963
i have a question for D8000 and D8000 Pro users. Do any of you feel that the headphone continues to change its sound beyond what may be considered normal burn-in. more so than other headphones, on both units with several hundred hours and a couple of years of use, i still feel the headphones are changing sound. i understand from one day to the next, certain conditions or even one's mood could account for perceived changes, but my experience is beyond that. for example, i feel the unit has continually gotten warmer sounding and maybe even less clear and resolute. still some of the best headphones around, but these changes, however subtle they are, are not to my liking. I got to thinking, there's no law of the universe that says a headphone has to stop changing and many people feel somehow that burn in always leads to better sound, and it definitely did for me on these units, initially, but at this point i am beginning to wonder. i feel the lower midrange frequencies are becoming more prominent (congesting and recessing vocals). it's always been neutral to ever so slightly warm of neutral in the lower midrange but now it feels slightly but noticeably more warm than neutral. always wondered about that a little, to be honest, but now i am definitely feeling that way. BTW, my system configuration has not changed. Thoughts?
My D8000 Pro’s are continuing to open up or evolve. I believe some of the changes you are hearing is coming from the equipment you’re playing the headphones through. I‘m not hearing any regression of sound playing my D8000 Pro’s through my DAVE/HMS/GS-X MK2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back