Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #2,131 of 4,847
My iDSD has the 4.4mm balanced jack and the 1/4" of course....I agree the smaller 2.5mm is a poor mechanical choice...more for IEMs etc.
That said you know the balanced jack has more power.

I have listened alot with 1/4 SE and the balanced 4.4mm with an adapter...I honestly dont think your loosing much at all...

If I were you to discover this difference if there really is one get a balanced cable terminated with the 2.5mm...but use a small cable, lieghtweight and flexible...like Canare like this:

https://www.markertek.com/product/l...-star-quad-microphone-cable-by-the-foot-black

I have made several balanced and non balanced with this and its excellent...light but be careful using etc..

Another thing might be to send iFi a note and see if they can install a 4.4 mm pentacom jack.

You could do this if your ok with soldering and enlarging the hole etc...but warranty goes out the window...

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #2,132 of 4,847
Thank you, very helpful. That is an interesting suggestion about contacting IFI about installing a 4.4mm, it cant hurt to ask. Ultimately, if there is little difference in sound and I cant get a 4.4mm then I may go with the 1/4" but your post has given me some good options.

A final option is more a near-future thing and depends on keeping the IFI, but I am keeping an eye out on the classifieds to see if an IFI ICAN shows up in which case I would be able to terminate the cable to XLR.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,133 of 4,847
I am hoping for advice on something. I have the D8000 Pros and currently have two DAC/AMPs, with one of them to be sold, a Hugo 2 and a IFI Pro IDSD. I also have an Arctic Cables Integra which I would like to get re-terminated for the D8000s.

The IFI has a 2.5mm balanced port, am I best to get the cable terminated to 2.5mm, is it the optimal termination for my hardware? I am not keen on the 2.5mm as its so fragile, and would prefer a 1/4" but not if it means I would lose out on quality.
I wouldn't use the 2.5mm balanced for the D8000 (or any full sized headphones). I am pretty sure, that has been optimised for IEMs.
Try to get an iCan and use the 4pin XLR. It is pretty much in the price range of the Hugo2 if you decide to sell that one.

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,135 of 4,847
have put the G pads on my D8K and I am very happy with the result. Putting them on was not as bad as I expected. It is finicky for sure and you have to be patient/careful but if you follow the video instruction it is really not that awkward. I was done in five minutes.
I just ordered a new set of pads (G) for my D8000 pro. I am curious, where did you find the video instructions to follow for changing the earpads?

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #2,136 of 4,847
@iFi audio
The older models that do not have the 4.4mm pentacom adapter.....could the 2.5mm jack be removed and replaced with a 4.4mm pentacom jack in the same place??

If the board is the same in that area, could you enlarge the 2.5 mm hole and install a better 4.4mm pentacom jack in it??

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #2,139 of 4,847
The older models that do not have the 4.4mm pentacom adapter.....could the 2.5mm jack be removed and replaced with a 4.4mm pentacom jack in the same place??

Ach, so you mean a port, not jack? I'm not sure about the success of this DIY operation, but those confident with their soldering etc. are free to try :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 10, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #2,140 of 4,847
Thanks for the links @betula & @adydula

I guess then that the inner filling does float semi free inside the outer covering. I thought that mine had become separated as there is a bit of play between the inner cushion and the outer cover. It's why I ordered a new set of pads. I should have asked first.

Also, it seems there is a significance to the positioning of the four indents on the inside. They took some time showing it (D8000 link @ 2.0). I'm not sure what is supposed to be accomplished with that?

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2,141 of 4,847
Thanks for the links @betula & @adydula

I guess then that the inner filling does float semi free inside the outer covering. I thought that mine had become separated as there is a bit of play between the inner cushion and the outer cover. It's why I ordered a new set of pads. I should have asked first.

Also, it seems there is a significance to the positioning of the four indents on the inside. They took some time showing it (D8000 link @ 2.0). I'm not sure what is supposed to be accomplished with that?
Yes, the inner foam of the stock D8000 pads is not firmly attached to (or sewn into) the exterior pad fabric, and it is in every other earpad I've seen. So while removing or installing the pads, you have to kind of keep the foam inside/where it belongs while doing the usual rest of it.

Four detents on the inside? Do you refer to the v-shaped cutout into which you're supposed to thread the edge of pad being installed? I looked at the video (which has no sound) and couldn't make sense of the end of it--lots of peering at the installed pad, checking how it lay against the inside plate of the earcup, etc (for reasons I couldn't understand).

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,142 of 4,847
Yes, the inner foam of the stock D8000 pads is not firmly attached to (or sewn into) the exterior pad fabric, and it is in every other earpad I've seen. So while removing or installing the pads, you have to kind of keep the foam inside/where it belongs while doing the usual rest of it.

Four detents on the inside? Do you refer to the v-shaped cutout into which you're supposed to thread the edge of pad being installed? I looked at the video (which has no sound) and couldn't make sense of the end of it--lots of peering at the installed pad, checking how it lay against the inside plate of the earcup, etc (for reasons I couldn't understand).
I do not think the exact position of those dents actually make much of a difference. It is enough that they are there.

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #2,143 of 4,847

Look at the pad installed or not, but installed for this conversation is easier. Inside you can see four indents/notches about the size of a finger tip in a + pattern. This is what I am referring to/curious about.

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2,145 of 4,847
After reading @ScornDefeat impressions about these, ADX5000 and Verite closed I have decided to give them a try. This time tube powered. We'll see where this goes.

D8000.jpg

By the way, unboxing is a puzzle. Boxing back those small boxes another one. I am tired, I need a beer. And maybe some Obituary as Scorn advised.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back