FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jan 30, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #5,296 of 6,207
Had enough and rolled back to 1.0.6. Is there a way to keep it from asking about installing the OTA update? Even with using the old Fiio player on 1.0.7 the device seemed to be sluggish and didn't always respond to touch input. I don't need that feature.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #5,297 of 6,207
I prefer USB Audio Player over Neutron at the moment. Neutron doing fast-forward half the time instead of pause, with the hardware buttons and bluetooth remote, was driving me nuts. USB Audio Player also outputs directly to the DAC. It is able to do upto exactly 8x oversampling using the upsampling by integer multiples of the samplerate option. This is a really smart idea. I think it sounds better, which IMO is because either the audio DAC works better at higher frequencies, or because the filter frequency is being moved way outside the hearing range. Remember that most CD players also have 8x upsampling because of this.
Haven't been able to get replay gain with FLACs working yet though.

I really have to get used to FiiO's player. I can't find the options to download album art and lyrics anymore, though most of the time it selected the wrong material anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,298 of 6,207
Should I unsintall Neutron normal before or the NEON version will erase it ?
thanks

No need to do so. Just install it like a normal update.

Thanks. I've tried to Google it, but what is Android's SRC?

Sample rate conversion:
https://source.android.com/devices/audio/src

One of the drawbacks of the X7II using Android 5.1.1. FiiO modified the system in a way that makes it possible to circumvent this limitation, but it doesn't help as long as the app doesn't make use of it and treats the X7II as a generic 5.1.1 device.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #5,301 of 6,207
Hi all,
Just noticed there is now a JP 1.0.8 FW release https://www.fiio.jp/support/x7-mark2/
I have not upgraded mine yet, torn between the old JP 1.0.7 the new 1.0.7 and now the new JP 1.0.8. I hope maybe the new JP one might help the guys with problems with the latest 1.0.7 FW
Not bit the bullet myself :wink:
Looks like 1.0.7 official with the expanded partition like they did with 1.0.6 >> 1.0.7JP.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #5,303 of 6,207
Has this ever been confirmed by measurements? I remember UAPP falsely reporting hi-res output on other devices running Android 5.x.

Not by measurements that I know of, but with technical data here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...s-for-the-lg-v30.868978/page-27#post-14652666
(linked by the discussion here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...usb-audio-support-for-android.704065/page-161)

It doesn't recognize the DAC in my HTC phone (Poweramp does), it doesn't pretend to upsample and displays 'android' as the output on the now playing screen.

On my X7 it displays 'direct' and the upsampled rate. The X7 runs pretty warm at the highest rates. UAPP sounds at least as good to me as Neutron and FiiO's app do, PowerAmp and PlayerPro do not output directly and don't sound as good.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #5,304 of 6,207
An observation about the EQ in the new player.

I have tried every single preset with the little tick set for active, and it's not doing anything to the sound. I have tested this using balanced and unbalanced iems and headphones
FH5, A83, UE-900s, HE-400i, and Sundara. Using stock cables and custom 8-strand and 16-strand cables.

Also actually getting the EQ to respond to being touched to actually change the presets or modify the user preset are infuriatingly hard.

FiiO's own EQ in the last build in 1.0.6 worked, where as its not in this new one.

I have done firmware resets between 1.0.6, 1.0.7.again, and again, to test in both build environments.

For what it's worth the EQ in the old player does work in the new firmware.

For my music I am using Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's, Ella Fitzgerald, Louie Armstrong, Thelonius Monk, Cab Callaway, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Dead Can Dance.

I should also add I am using the AM3A module for my testing.

Why am I bug testing firmware / software that was allegedly released as stable? Crikes, I did this for 25 some odd years along with my actual job before I retired.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #5,305 of 6,207
An observation about the EQ in the new player.

I have tried every single preset with the little tick set for active, and it's not doing anything to the sound. I have tested this using balanced and unbalanced iems and headphones
FH5, A83, UE-900s, HE-400i, and Sundara. Using stock cables and custom 8-strand and 16-strand cables.

Also actually getting the EQ to respond to being touched to actually change the presets or modify the user preset are infuriatingly hard.

FiiO's own EQ in the last build in 1.0.6 worked, where as its not in this new one.

I have done firmware resets between 1.0.6, 1.0.7.again, and again, to test in both build environments.

For what it's worth the EQ in the old player does work in the new firmware.

For my music I am using Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's, Ella Fitzgerald, Louie Armstrong, Thelonius Monk, Cab Callaway, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Dead Can Dance.

I should also add I am using the AM3A module for my testing.

Why am I bug testing firmware / software that was allegedly released as stable? Crikes, I did this for 25 some odd years along with my actual job before I retired.
EQ works in official app. Just tested. Upped the bass so it’s 1000% noticeable and then turned it on off and back on. About 1 second delay in the effect kicking in.

Perhaps make sure all other apps are closed (force shutodwn) or be in pure music mode and restart.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #5,306 of 6,207
EQ works in official app. Just tested. Upped the bass so it’s 1000% noticeable and then turned it on off and back on. About 1 second delay in the effect kicking in.

Perhaps make sure all other apps are closed (force shutodwn) or be in pure music mode and restart.

Forgive me for not mentioning I have been doing my testing both in pure mode, and Android mode

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #5,308 of 6,207
Does the volume wheel shake when you move it up and down (not the way increasing/decreasing the volume)? Mine moves and sometimes the volume goes one or two steps down when I am actually increasing the volume.

Weird... I hadn't paid attention to that, but yes it does when the player is on the lock screen, but not in the player itself, just tested this in player mode in the new fiio music in the new firmware, I am going to try this in the previous firmware and also with the old player in the new firmware.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #5,309 of 6,207
Weird... I hadn't paid attention to that, but yes it does when the player is on the lock screen, but not in the player itself, just tested this in player mode in the new fiio music in the new firmware, I am going to try this in the previous firmware and also with the old player in the new firmware.
I mean the volume wheel physically shakes like it's loose.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #5,310 of 6,207
Sorry, that's a physical hardware issue, that I am not experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back