Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #391 of 1,181
B7A76403-4850-4BDF-B548-42A2F15BFD11.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Headphone-Adaptor-Control-Shuffle/dp/B002J1SCRQ

Hunting around has paid off with a potential solution - Belkin iPod headphone adapter.
It’s available on Amazon and I’ve ordered it. Will update when I have it.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #392 of 1,181
So the accessory arrived today and i have been able to do a quick testing of it.as i previously described by mistake) and I'm able to pause/play tracks using the remote. Two quick clicks does a skip forward track and with more difficulty three clicks skips back.

8/12/18 *EDIT - I purchased the LG HiFi Status app to confirm my suspicions that this extension cord is in fact putting the DAC into 50ohm High Impedance mode. This might be what some want and not others.

The negative - poor build quality.
The volume control buttons don't work and this might be to do with it being Apple hardware accessory. The button press itself is pretty terrible and feels squishy rather than a nice solid click. For this reason you have to take care to properly press down the button all the way. Double and more so triple click can be trickey to achieve.

Even though its not perfect, its positives still outweigh the negatives for me.
I really appreciate being able to Play/Pause the music from a physical button. Forward skip is fairly easy to perform .The screen can even remain in sleep mode and i can still use the physical button to pause/play music. I will probably get a backup of this as i don't its made any longer. If you come across a better offering please let me know .

IMG_20181206_155748_269~4.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #393 of 1,181
So the accessory arrived today and i have been able to do a quick testing of it.

On the positive the phone is forced into higher ohm mode and I'm able to pause/play tracks using the remote. Two quick clicks does a skip forward track and with more difficulty three clicks skips back.

The negative - poor build quality.
The volume control buttons don't work and this might be to do with it being Apple hardware accessory. The button press itself is pretty terrible and feels squishy rather than a nice solid click. For this reason you have to take care to properly press down the button all the way. Double and more so triple click can be trickey to achieve.

Even though its not perfect, its positives still outweigh the negatives for me.
I really appreciate being able to Play/Pause the music from a physical button. Forward skip is fairly easy to perform .The screen can even remain in sleep mode and i can still use the physical button to pause/play music. I will probably get a backup of this as i don't its made any longer. If you come across a better offering please let me know .

That was quick. Thank you for posting this update!

I have to say, if the adapter forces the phone into High Impedance Mode, either on its own or when connected to <50 ohms headphones/IEMs, then it is almost certain that the adapter adds so much resistance that it also changes the sound signature. I realize that some users find this change more to their liking, and that is fine. And of course there may be other benefits (as you describe). But purer sound it is NOT, by definition. Something is being lost or altered in that chain.

Now, as you know, I completely get the added convenience. I just wish I could get that with the phone's volume buttons, without having to add an adapter to the output chain :pensive:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #394 of 1,181
That was quick. Thank you for posting this update!

I have to say, if the adapter forces the phone into High Impedance Mode, either on its own or when connected to <50 ohms headphones/IEMs, then it is almost certain that the adapter adds so much resistance that it also changes the sound signature. I realize that some users find this change more to their liking, and that is fine. And of course there may be other benefits (as you describe). But purer sound it is NOT, by definition. Something is being lost or altered in that chain.

Now, as you know, I completely get the added convenience. I just wish I could get that with the phone's volume buttons, without having to add an adapter to the output chain :pensive:

Isn't everyone on this thread following the tips on first post already?

i.e. use extension cord or right angle bend to induce high ohm mode which utilises the DAC better rather when its in standard low battery power usage mode.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #395 of 1,181

i.e. use extension cord or right angle bend to induce high ohm mode which utilises the DAC better rather when its in standard low battery power usage mode.
I suspect what you're actually doing is forcing external device (aux) mode, and not high-impedance mode. If you plug in your adapter to the V30 with nothing connected to it, and then plug in your headphones to the adapter, you'll get aux mode. If you're getting to high-impedance mode by plugging your headphones into your adapter first and THEN plugging into your V30, then something is a bit suspect with your adapter, because it must have a fairly high impedance which, as @Dannemand rightly points out, would likely alter your frequency response.

As for whether aux or high-impedance mode actually invoke the DAC in any "better" way has been the subject of a lot of speculation. I've seen no evidence of aux or high-impedance mode doing anything other than giving you more output power. That's still a benefit though, if you feel you're not getting enough headroom from normal-device mode.

Nice find with the adapter, BTW! Being made for Apple products, there's no way this little guy is going to be able to control your V30's volume, but if you're going to use an adapter to trigger aux mode, it makes sense to carry one that also gives you the benefit of a remote play/pause button :)

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #396 of 1,181

I personally don't use an adapter because of the negative effects I've seen on sound quality. Obviously top quality adapters will minimize this effect. I get enough power in Normal (HiFi) mode already, and even more in Aux mode, which I can easily trigger by plugging the cable into V30 before plugging it into my headphones. And I am convinced that there are no sound quality benefits to the higher modes, beyond more output power. I base this on postings from members here with far more expertise than me and access audio analyzing equipment, as well as my own more anecdotal tests.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #397 of 1,181
I suspect what you're actually doing is forcing external device (aux) mode, and not high-impedance mode. If you plug in your adapter to the V30 with nothing connected to it, and then plug in your headphones to the adapter, you'll get aux mode. If you're getting to high-impedance mode by plugging your headphones into your adapter first and THEN plugging into your V30, then something is a bit suspect with your adapter, because it must have a fairly high impedance which, as @Dannemand rightly points out, would likely alter your frequency response.

After having spent a little more time with the Belkin remote extension cord I realised that it seemed louder than the right angle headphone adapters used to create AUX out.
So I went and purchased the LG HiFi status App this evening and I was surprised to discover the LG is being put in high impedance Mode.

This might be a good thing for some and not so for others. I thought I share that for others interested.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #398 of 1,181
Hi guys,

Enjoying this thread. Is there any news on Qobuz hi res playback on the LG V30?

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #400 of 1,181
News that Qobuz delivers true 96k 24 bit to the phones output.?

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #401 of 1,181
News that Qobuz delivers true 96k 24 bit to the phones output.?

Member @all999 confirmed in this post in the In the main V30 thread that Qobuz HiRes does indeed route straight to the DAC. No word yet whether this is also true of redbook 16/44 or whether that is routed through the Android mixer -- which ALSO plays through the Quad DAC, but only after upsampling to 48KHz.

It can be tested by inspecting an audio_flinger dump using ADB, as described at the bottom of the following UAPP support page:

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver

The test doesn't require UAPP and isn't very hard if you have ADB. I would check it, but Qobuz doesn't provide service in the US. I'll gladly help a Qobuz user to check it.

Edit: Oh, and in any case can UAPP be used to stream Qobuz, which we know will route directly to the Quad DAC, both for HiRes and redbook.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #402 of 1,181
Member @all999 confirmed in this post in the In the main V30 thread that Qobuz HiRes does indeed route straight to the DAC. No word yet whether this is also true of redbook 16/44 or whether that is routed through the Android mixer -- which ALSO plays through the Quad DAC, but only after upsampling to 48KHz.

Sorry, a little missunderstanding here. I was referring to UAPP, I don't know why I assumed You're asking of UAPP support for Qobuz.

But I have some interesting conclusions here. I own Vsonic's series of iems. GR07, GR07X and GR09. All 50ohm impedance. All of them automatically trigger V30 to high gain mode. And all three gathering a lot of hiss from V30 when using stock player, Tidal or Qobuz. Or any other music app. Hiss and artifacts. All besides UAPP. And that's the only app that I'm sure is passing through android drivers. Tidal can be also clear with MQA stream. So it may be that these files are also playing directly through quad dac. So, Qobuz and Tidal sounds better with UAPP than with their android apps.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #403 of 1,181
Thanks for the feedback folks! I'd test Qobuz myself, but it's not available here in the US until early 2019. I'd bet large amounts of cash that the Qobuz app will go through the Android mixer, and so re-sample 44/16 PCM, just like (almost) every other app. It's probably going to work just fine for hi-res PCM though.

I keep seeing recommendations for music player x, y & z, but to this day the only apps I've found that correctly playback all PCM files on the V30 are UAPP and Neutron. Even LG seems to be unaware (or not to care) about this problem. If it weren't for the two apps I just mentioned, the V30/40 would, as supposedly audiophile-grade phones, have a fairly nasty little problem.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #404 of 1,181
Sorry, a little missunderstanding here. I was referring to UAPP, I don't know why I assumed You're asking of UAPP support for Qobuz.

But I have some interesting conclusions here. I own Vsonic's series of iems. GR07, GR07X and GR09. All 50ohm impedance. All of them automatically trigger V30 to high gain mode. And all three gathering a lot of hiss from V30 when using stock player, Tidal or Qobuz. Or any other music app. Hiss and artifacts. All besides UAPP. And that's the only app that I'm sure is passing through android drivers. Tidal can be also clear with MQA stream. So it may be that these files are also playing directly through quad dac. So, Qobuz and Tidal sounds better with UAPP than with their android apps.

Thank you for that clarification. Re-reading your post (the one I linked) I notice it is indeed an UAPP screenshot, so that misunderstanding is all on me. @Pro-Jules I apologize for the confusion.

So, we don't know yet if the Qobuz app routes HiRes directly to the Quad DAC, although I would think it likely does, since most HiRes bit-depth/sample rate combinations are supported by the DAC. But even if the Qobuz app does this for HiRes, it is doubtful that it does so for redbook, as that would require bit-padding (16/44 to 24/44) like UAPP does. Again, anyone with a Qobuz HiRes subscription and working ADB can fairly easily test this (see here). Otherwise I'll gladly walk them through the steps.

Your conclusions confirm, once again, that the 44 -> 48KHz upsampling is indeed audible to listeners with sensitive IEMs and good ears, as @csglinux has pointed out repeatedly. I wouldn't have expected it to be as dramatic as you describe, but I do not doubt it.

Tidal Hires tracks (Master/MQA) are definitely routed directly to the Quad DAC, regardless of whether played in the Tidal app or UAPP. So there should be no difference in in how they sound, unless EQ or other effects are enabled in one of the apps. But anything redbook must play through UAPP or Neutron to stay bit-perfect.

Thanks again!

LOL, @csglinux beat me to it. There's 10 mins I'll never get back :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #405 of 1,181
Does this help? On my V30 it would appear the Qobuz app is re-sampling, UAPP plays these hi-res tracks without re-sampling.

192khz 24bit Qobuz

Output thread 0xe8883500, name AudioOut_15, tid 1837, type 0 (MIXER):
I/O handle: 21
Standby: yes
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
HAL frame count: 1920
HAL format: 0x1 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT)
HAL buffer size: 7680 bytes
Channel count: 2
Channel mask: 0x00000003 (front-left, front-right)
Processing format: 0x1 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT)
Processing frame size: 4 bytes
Pending config events: none
Output device: 0x8 (AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE)
Input device: 0 (AUDIO_DEVICE_NONE)
Audio source: 0 (default)
Normal frame count: 1920
Last write occurred (msecs): 10326
Total writes: 3821
Delayed writes: 0
Blocked in write: no
Suspend count: 0
Sink buffer : 0xe8d4e000
Mixer buffer: 0xeaa6b000
Effect buffer: 0xeaa5a000
Fast track availMask=0xfe
Standby delay ns=3000000000
AudioStreamOut: 0xeaa59840 flags 0x8 (AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DEEP_BUFFER)
Frames written: 7336320
Suspended frames: 0
Hal stream dump:
Thread throttle time (msecs): 131
AudioMixer tracks: 0x00000000
Master mono: off
No FastMixer
Stream volumes in dB: 0:-18, 1:-inf, 2:-inf, 3:-46, 4:-36, 5:-inf, 6:0, 7:-inf, 8:-inf, 9:-96, 10:-40, 11:0, 12:0
Normal mixer raw underrun counters: partial=0 empty=0
0 Tracks
0 Effect Chains

96khz 24bit UAPP

Output thread 0xe7e03000, name AudioOut_5D, tid 14015, type 1 (DIRECT):
I/O handle: 93
Standby: no
Sample rate: 96000 Hz
HAL frame count: 3840
HAL format: 0x6 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_PACKED)
HAL buffer size: 23040 bytes
Processing format: 0x6 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_PACKED)
Processing frame size: 6 bytes
Normal frame count: 3840
Last write occurred (msecs): 4
Total writes: 115
Blocked in write: yes
Sink buffer : 0xe739c000
Mixer buffer: 0xe73a3000
Effect buffer: 0xe91fa000
Standby delay ns=1000000000
AudioStreamOut: 0xe918e4c0 flags 0x1 (AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT)
Frames written: 441600
Hal stream dump:
Stream volumes in dB: 0:-18, 1:-inf, 2:-inf, 3:-46, 4:-36, 5:-inf, 6:0, 7:-inf, 8:-inf, 9:-96, 10:-40, 11:0, 12:0

192Khz 24bit UAPP

Output thread 0xe76d3000, name AudioOut_6D, tid 15238, type 1 (DIRECT):
I/O handle: 109
Standby: no
Sample rate: 192000 Hz
HAL frame count: 7680
HAL format: 0x6 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_PACKED)
HAL buffer size: 46080 bytes
Processing format: 0x6 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_PACKED)
Processing frame size: 6 bytes
Normal frame count: 7680
Last write occurred (msecs): 29
Total writes: 145
Blocked in write: yes
Sink buffer : 0xe759b000
Mixer buffer: 0xe75a8000
Effect buffer: 0xe75b9000
Standby delay ns=1000000000
AudioStreamOut: 0xe918e520 flags 0x1 (AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT)
Frames written: 1113600
Hal stream dump:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back