FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #5,266 of 6,207
Am I missing something with how to operate the EQ? I'd say less than 1 out of every 10 attempts to move a slider actually registers. It also seems like the bottom row of preset names doesn't actually fit on the screen. I also don't see how to save a user preset. Additionally, hitting the reset and confirming doesn't always seem to zero the sliders. I must be doing something wrong because it can't possibly be as broken as it appears.
Hi,you can only adjust the user,once you adjust it saved.The interface is not refreshed when resetting, and you can re-enter the interface.Will fix it in next version.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #5,267 of 6,207
Hi,you can only adjust the user,once you adjust it saved.The interface is not refreshed when resetting, and you can re-enter the interface.Will fix it in next version.

Thanks, I appreciate the speedy reply and the information. For now I've rolled back to the old player apk. I'd rather have Viper than a sort of functional EQ. Trying to set the sliders was maddening with them mostly not responding to touch.

The firmware itself seems solid but it looks like the new player app needs some work.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #5,268 of 6,207
Posted to Head-Fi and Fiio boards ...

Thank you all for your helpful comments, esp. JaviAI on Head-Fi. I was able to learn quite a bit on the Fiio and Head-Fi boards before deciding to purchase the X7 mkII, and I’d like to share a few things to extent that they may be helpful to others. So far, I have unboxed the device, connected to wifi, installed Neutron Music Player (USD 6.99) and plugged in two 512 GB PNY Elite microSDXC cards. Each card has about 390 GB of music, 23K songs in total between the two cards, all FLAC 16/44, 24/96 and 24/192. 1TB of storage, 23,000-plus song files and SPDIF output is pretty darn good for a DAP the size of an iPhone.

FWIW, loading the files onto the microSDXCs was very slow (27 MB/s using card reader built into my computer), but hopefully I’ll only have to do the 800 GB transfer once. From what I’ve read, this appears to be a limitation of the PNY card itself and not the reader.

As near as I can tell, both Fiio Music and Neutron accurately scanned all of the songs, both in about 5 minutes. I like Neutron because it sorts by “album artist,” which is great if you have a lot of compilation albums. Using Neutron, I can easily scroll by “album artist,” pick an artist, then pick an album, while being able to see the full names of both. In the Fiio folder view, you see very few characters, which would be a problem for me that Neutron takes care of. I tried the Fiio folder view because I wont use an “artist” sort, which dumps in hundreds of 1 or 2 song artists from compilation albums (e.g., a compilation of every R&B single ever released on Atlantic Records) into the artist list, and Fiio music lacks “album artist” sorting.

IMHO, the Fiio engineers should focus on hardware and firmware. There are many great Android music apps for a few USDs, and the awesome Neutron app is only 7 USD.

Although X7 mkII is intended for use in my car (feeding an Audison Bit One processor by either coax or optical), I’ve hooked the X7 mkII up to my Oppo HA1 via optical for testing. Sounds great and is outputting 24 bit when the source is 24 bit. I did everything this evening and I’ve only been playing music for about 2.5 hours.

Please note that I HAVE NOT updated the firmware yet (the next update from where I currently am is 1.0.6). I’m a bit wary of doing that given the fact that things are going OK, but I’ll probably be brave in a few days and update to 1.0.7.

Any feedback from Neutron users who have updated to 1.0.7 would be appreciated. Did everything work OK?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #5,270 of 6,207
@Old Man Craig with the new firmware, Neutron is slow, very slow to start... About 3 or 4 more longer than before.

And when the dap is on stand by or in sleep, when i use it, one of my sd (the 2nd slot) is not detected by neutron.
For info, i have two sd of 400 gb. Approx 25000 songs

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #5,271 of 6,207
Hi,in the now playing page, you can click the ...(at the right of top) to set EQ;For the sort issue,will improve in next version.

Thanks. Trouble is, as mentioned by another user, the EQ is very unresponsive. I slide the 8K to the bottom and can't slide it up, despite many attempts.

I gave up and hit the "Reset" botton a few times, guess what? That doesn't work either! Not doing very well, are you, FiiO!

This firmware was delayed, and you must have known it wasn't going well, as you took the unprecedented move of releasing the Beta on here.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #5,272 of 6,207
@FiiO

I am quite annoyed by the new FiiO player. VIPER's Audio has been removed (yes I do know I can download the .apk for the old one. However they have also stated that all further development on that branch has been discontinued)

I use viper audio quite extensively. I paid for all the modules to be active. That's what made FiiO Player functional for me, it is also why I purchased the X7 mk II in the first place.

This new version is quite a downgrade in functionality for me, as it does not have the sound quality and control that I could get in the older version with VIPER's Audio.

What would it take for FiiO to renew the licensing agreement with VIPER's Audio?

Between an unusable EQ and no effects, and the constant crashing of the FiiO player even in Player Mode. This is a real no go for me.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #5,273 of 6,207
I don't care too much about the lack of Viper, but the new player is unresponsive and the EQ doesn't work. What other free players are there out there that someone can recommend?

I've tried to upload a movie showing multiple attempts at an EQ reset and adjusting the sliders with no effect, but at 39mb, the system says it is too big.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #5,274 of 6,207
@Darren Cotter
What about uploading the video to a file share and then posting the link?

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #5,276 of 6,207
Jan 30, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #5,277 of 6,207
Thanks. I'm at home now and the video is on my laptop at my Fiancee's place. I'll see what I can do tonight. It's not up for debate though, this version of the music player is buggy and unresponsive.

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #5,278 of 6,207
I am not going to debate that. :)
This version of the player is just plain out awful.

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #5,279 of 6,207
With this new firmware are there any sonic differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back