Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 28, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #15,241 of 15,899
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...rs-and-much-more.906004/page-13#post-15098999

^condensed instructions^

& https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...rs-and-much-more.906004/page-13#post-15102028

^fiio music 3.4.3 w/ viper that can be installed on new firmware alongside existing FiiO Music application^

One more questiion... or maybe 2...

1. Has anyone tried / confirmed that this unit will work with 2 - 512Gb cards installed
2. And if so, anyone interested in 2 Samsung Evo Pus 256Gb cards - formatted and loaded once? $50 for both cards.

Thanks

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #15,242 of 15,899
Been using a pair of 512gb cards with no issues for several months.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #15,243 of 15,899
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-new-dac-drivers-and-much-more.906004/page-15 Start at the beginning.
It is very easy to do the upgrade. HOWEVER if your happy with the player now, don't do anything and don't do the FIIO updates either. I believe the Viper went away in new Music App.

The Kernel update is amazingly faster and comes into play for me when using the internet. Also touch screen works faster and the slowness that was apparent from the bogged down FIIO updates is now gone. I've never used Fidelizer so can't comment.
No rooting is needed. Going back to stock is easy.

If you want to use: Greenify, Titanium Backup, SD Maid, or Kernel Adiutor (to edit init.d 60main scripts in case you want to re-enable the window animation scales that kernel disables by default) root is necessary. It’s such an easy step in the process why skip it?

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #15,244 of 15,899
If you want to use: Greenify, Titanium Backup, SD Maid, or Kernel Adiutor (to edit init.d 60main scripts in case you want to re-enable the window animation scales that kernel disables by default) root is necessary. It’s such an easy step in the process why skip it?
Not sure why I need to do any of those things you mention. At this point I just want to play music, which it does and not tinker anymore. I rarely take the unit with me so battery life isn't an issue. If it did a better job of Bluetooth connectivity I'd be more interested in using in my car. Would rooting have any benefits to seamless connection with Bluetooth. I know JK mentioned something about having to do a deep dive into the weeds to get BT working better. Not sure if that is a burning issue for most people.

Aug 29, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #15,245 of 15,899

If I root it, I would want to get rid of EVERYTHING I don't need. I would want to keep the following:

1. the latest version of Fiio Player that still has Viper
2. Bluetooth capability
3. Wi-Fi capability

Is there a list of what can be dumped and what can be kept?

Thanks again.

Aug 29, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #15,246 of 15,899
If I root it, I would want to get rid of EVERYTHING I don't need. I would want to keep the following:

1. the latest version of Fiio Player that still has Viper
2. Bluetooth capability
3. Wi-Fi capability

Is there a list of what can be dumped and what can be kept?

Thanks again.

The kernel installer has a function built in to disable a whole bunch of unused apps (quoting this from 4PDA):

BasicDreams (Standard screensavers)
Browser (Internet browser)
CaptivePortalLogin (Connecting to private Wi-Fi networks. Does not affect Wi-Fi
operation ) DeskClock (Clock application. Does not apply to system clocks)
Email (Mail client)
Exchange2 (Part of the mail client)
Galaxy4 (Screensaver)
GoogleJapanese (Japanese layout, for the system keyboard)
HoloSpiralWallpaper (Screensaver)
LiveWallpapers (Live wallpapers)
LiveWallpapersPicker (Part of live wallpapers)
NoiseField (Live wallpapers)
PacProcessor (Proxy server handler)
PhaseBeam(Live Wallpaper)
PinyinIME (Chinese layout, for the system keyboard)
RKUpdateService (Update RK chips. Not relevant.)
VisualizationWallpapers (Live Wallpaper)
WAPPushManager (Responsible for WAP)

That is the list of items disabled under the "average" settings, which is what I choose to do.

You can also choose "complete" which will disable these all in addition to Google Play Store & Google Play Services, Framework, etc. (I just choose to freeze these with Titanium Backup Pro and defrost if needed)

However it moves that above list to the directory: / system / app / X-Backup, still taking up room on your system partition. You can delete these backups (I do) in TWRP custom recovery.

Also removable by you in TWRP (to replaced by a different file manager like "File Manager" or "Root Explorer") will be under / system / app / preinstall / EsFileExplorer.apk (or something like that)

We can continue the discussion here in the custom kernel thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...volting-new-dac-drivers-and-much-more.906004/

Sep 2, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #15,248 of 15,899
A bit off topic- for any of you with album & cd collections that you want to track I found an app from a young Polish guy which works well. I'm in USA and don't know this guy other than a few nice email conversations recently. I entered all my music into the app, took a bit of time to do so. You can use it free with some limitations, especially if you have large amounts. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digdig Eventually you will be able to buy & sell from it.

Mods I understand if this gets removed, but I'm just giving a bump to a kid trying to get this thing up and running.

Sep 3, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #15,249 of 15,899
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Today's update of Neutron will make it possible to transfer everything to DSD 64. You have to play with the settings, otherwise it hisses. The authors of Neutron advertise more CPU load. There's no significant CPU load or battery consumption on my old Samsung S6. So maybe it won't cook Rockchip in FiiO X5.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #15,250 of 15,899
Which settings need to be tweaked? I accepted the update and turned on the Hardware option, and yes, there is a lot of noise.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #15,251 of 15,899
Today's update of Neutron will make it possible to transfer everything to DSD 64. You have to play with the settings, otherwise it hisses. The authors of Neutron advertise more CPU load. There's no significant CPU load or battery consumption on my old Samsung S6. So maybe it won't cook Rockchip in FiiO X5.

Version 3.4 of the modded kernel, which will be released in the coming days, is significantly more CPU-efficient and should be able to handle this new version of Neutron effortlessly. All known bugs have been squashed and now in final stages of user testing. Watch this space....

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #15,252 of 15,899
It bugs me that the FiiO X5iii requires to be turned fully off (not sleep mode) when not in use and that it takes 30 sec (initiated by what seems to be a 5 sec push of the On button) to even start the turn on. Then I have to slide screens and choose the app to play my music once the player has lumbered to life.

I stoically accepted these problems until I had occasion to return to my FiiO X5ii, the previous incarnation of the X5. That one DOES have a sleep mode that can last for days, and turns on instantly from that sleep mode. That made me really appreciate the older player.

Perhaps the problem is that the X5iii has WiFi capability that allows streaming but, if left on, drains the battery in short order, while the X5ii has no WiFi.

Anyway, I hope a knowledgeable person here can give me a hint on how to speed up the time between picking up my X5iii and it becoming ready for use. It’s even OK if you begin your response with “You dummy, didn’t you know that you can (xxx whatever)!”

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #15,253 of 15,899
Biggest diff between the two is that the X5II runs on FiiO firmware, while the X5III runs on an actual OS (Android). Others more tech savvy than I can elucidate further.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #15,254 of 15,899
Sep 3, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #15,255 of 15,899
.1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

It appears that the hiss on conversion to DSD 64 is due to the Neutron resampler used. At these settings, the hiss stops at least at the lowest volume.
In this case, the Neutron developers have released the beta version. It hisses in X5-3 / Samsung + N4X, DX3, everywhere and always.
A few more updates and maybe afterwards.
I tried too latency changes, all sound enhancements turned off completely - no changes.
It resembles a hissing radio station with poor reception - imitating it perfectly.
Fortunately, you can safely turn off conversion

The processor is a bit bored - even on the FiiO X5-3. Nor does it heat up properly. After half an hour has no problem. And it has a Google Play boulder on the leg for an update

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Samsung S6
4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back