Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #14,599 of 15,897
That sounds dangerous. There is a lot of empty space inside the case, so for it to bulge out means it really expanded. Hopefully you aren't using it again. Is it still in warranty?
It is VERY dangerous, and I have dealt with bulged out cellphone batteries before. The unit can no longer be powered on; clearly it will require a new battery.

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #14,600 of 15,897
@FiiO Have sent several e-mail to support - following the recent firmware update, my x5iii's battery expanded and bulged out the back of the unit. There have been no replies or acknowledgements of my e-mails whatsoever, so I must resort to inquiring in a public forum: what can be done to service this unit?
Dear friend,

Please PM us your email address. When and where did you buy the X5III? Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 7, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #14,602 of 15,897
For those interested in keeping up to date with the free Fidelizer ROMs, the latest 1.2.3 update has been released of today.
http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/fiio-x5iii-purist-rom-version-1-2-3-released/

Here's a handy quote with link to the instructions I wrote up and also the system partition fix...thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, which is to be done after installing SuperSU, and prior to flashing the latest kernel https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397902029 . I'm not savvy enough to know what's best for going from Fidelizer 1.2.2 to Fidelizer 1.2.3 or Base 1.2.3 to Fidelizer 1.2.3, So I'll say I'm going to use the firmware upgrade tool to go back to base 1.2.1 then put Fidelizer 1.2.3 over that. Your mileage may vary.

For those that are not familiar with root/su, I would like to supplement a few points in running the above commands.

1. Please install SuperSU using SuperSU_PRO_v2.79SR4.zip
If needed, you can refer to https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-965#post-14769688 for the installation steps
2. Power On your X5 III and connect to your PC via USB
3. Start the SuperSU app on your X5 III
3. open a command prompt and path towhere adb is installed.
For me, it is installed by installing KingoRoot and is located at c:\Program Files (x86)\Kingo ROOT\tools
4. type command "adb shell"
Treat this as opening a command prompt running on your X5III.
5. type command "su". A popup should appear on your X5III asking your to confirm granting the root access.
Grant it.
6. On your PC command proomt, issue the following commands one-by-one:
mount -o rw,remount /system
rm /system/media/*.flac
rm /system/media/*.pdf
exit (Note: this "exit" is used to exit the su session "root access")
exit (Note: this "exit" is used to exit from the shell created in step 4 above)
adb reboot recovery (Note: This is to issue the adb.exe on your PC)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #14,603 of 15,897
Hi All -
Couple of different topics moving around at the moment so I'm bringing this one back into the fold for a quick answer:

what ever came of the ability to sort by "album artist" with the fiio music player??
it's like i'm an album person, from start to finish. i would really love to be able to browse by artist but i can't because the results under a given artists' name is not always the full album.
folder view sure, it's set up exactly how i archive my music - but visually it's bad. i hardly see any of the cover art i bothered to gather and save (only see it when looking at the track that is playing).
what's worse is that i can barely read the album titles because the screen only fits a few characters. most of my folders are artist - album name (year)[format]{catalog} and that doesn't even come close to fitting on the screen.

any ideas here?

Also a new question -
So I loaded my 2nd 400gb card and now I have around 600Gb of music between the two. Scanned it played a few songs yay.
Only I think I may have an issue. There are a number of albums I'm missing under a given artist's name. This could be a problem elsewhere but it was easy to identify with this artist because I have around 30 albums but only 4 are showing up??!?!?
I know the tunes were scanned because I can find them in album/song view. Artist listed when I navigate that way is the correct - so why am I not seeing these under artist view?

Thanks as always!

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #14,605 of 15,897
Question: is it worth installing the new Fidelizer? I am on the OFW.

Not this time for me. Modded OFW+v2.7 kernel gives me better performance. And fully working selinux.

Plus I have ample free space to add new modules in system, which will be coming in v3.0

Mar 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #14,606 of 15,897
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #14,607 of 15,897
Hello, I need your help because I'm confused after reading (partially) this intensive thread...

I used to have a X5III two years ago, sold it, and now just bought it again (used one).
I will use it only as a transport for Hugo 2 (+ Kennerton Thridi, my travelling / hotel gear"). I plan to use UAAP and / or Neutron (have bought both) because of the > 6 band parametric equalization (but need to test if its worth loosing the bitperfect reading).

I read in this thread that there are altervative ROMs / Kernels, and have a few questions :
- as a transport only, would it be useful for me to change the ROM from the stock one to an alternative one ?
- there seems to be more than one offer, so wich one should I choose (for transport + UAPP or Neutron use) ?
- what do I need to install it ?

Thank you advance for your recommandations and tips :)

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #14,608 of 15,897
Hello, I need your help because I'm confused after reading (partially) this intensive thread...

I used to have a X5III two years ago, sold it, and now just bought it again (used one).
I will use it only as a transport for Hugo 2 (+ Kennerton Thridi, my travelling / hotel gear"). I plan to use UAAP and / or Neutron (have bought both) because of the > 6 band parametric equalization (but need to test if its worth loosing the bitperfect reading).

I read in this thread that there are altervative ROMs / Kernels, and have a few questions :
- as a transport only, would it be useful for me to change the ROM from the stock one to an alternative one ?
- there seems to be more than one offer, so wich one should I choose (for transport + UAPP or Neutron use) ?
- what do I need to install it ?

Thank you advance for your recommandations and tips :)

I would suggest going for OFW 1.2.3 + X5iii-jkbuha-V2.7-TWRP

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #14,609 of 15,897
What would the benefits be vs stock ROM ?

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #14,610 of 15,897
In short, better performance, longer battery life

you can refer to
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-968#post-14797406
to get the changlong for jkbuha's kernel (which I have also extracted below)

Changelog

Version 2.7
New: Redesigned Busybox installer
New: Redesigned Permissive SE Linux installer
New: Kernel version now displayed in settings
Fix: Corrections to anyone who was not seeing the msg "Kernel optimisation Ready" prompt

Version 2.6
New: UKSM instead of KSM (much faster)
New: ZRAM (more RAM)
New: fsync_disable (much, much faster)
New: ROW I/O scheduler for SD cards (much faster)
New: LZ4 Compression instead of LZO (faster, more compression)
New: zsmalloc implementation instead of xsmalloc
New: zcache enabling (faster)
New: ARM RSEM implementation (faster)
New: frandom generator instead of random (much, much faster)
New: MSG pop-up notification daemon
Fix: Lowered voltage for some FiiO players with lower-grade VCOs
Fix: Corrected git file dependencies
Fix: Disabled system animation by default

Previous Versions

Version 2.5
New: Increased max clock speed to 1752MHz (faster)
New: BFQ I/O scheduler (faster)
New: Westwood TCP/IP congestion protocol (much faster)
New: InteractiveX governor (much, much, much faster)
Fix: Stability checks to voltage
Fix: iX handling changes

Version 2.4
New: Maple I/O Scheduler (faster)
New: init.d full support (much, much faster)
New: init.d scripts (thanks prispewnic @ 4PDA)

Version 2.3
New: Zen I/O scheduler (much faster)

Version 2.2
Fix: Changes to scheduler priorities during screen off (faster)

Version 2.1
New: Additional GPU and DDR overclocking (much, much faster)

Version 1.5
New: Update to Linaro gcc 4.9.4 (significantly much faster)

Version 1.4
New: SIO I/O scheduler (faster)
New: VR I/O scheduler (faster)

Version 1.3
New: CPU clock to 1704MHz (much, much faster)

Version 1.2
New: Additional voltage optimisation and DDR overclocking

Version 1.1
New: GPIO optimisation and documentation
New: CPU clock to 1518MHz (faster)

Version 1.0
Initial system release and branch-off from FiiO GPL code

Users who are viewing this thread

Back