Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 1, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #14,581 of 15,897
I don't understand anyone moaning about the software upgrade, is it not up to par with other daps in this price range? I'm works just fine for what it's supposed to do..Search..Press Play..and listen to music.
Those with issues why not post screen shots of the X5 issue.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #14,582 of 15,897
Hi All -
Well as I'm finally starting to use this DAP I got 2 400gb SD cards and I'm ready to fill them up.

Question - My plan is to let the Fiio format the cards (exfat i believe???) and then load the cards by using a reader on my pc
This is the way to go? I've read people using the other formats and formatting on their laptops etc instead of the Fiio, but I gather my take could be best as i'm using the preferred format of the manufacturer and the transferring of data should go much smoother and faster if i use a reader on the PC.

Finally - Will fiio create an obvious folder that i dump all of my music into on these cards? or will i need to create one?
if i need to create one is there anything special i need to name it?

thanks as always!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #14,583 of 15,897
I recommend using a fat32 formatter application on windows, 32kb cluster/allocation unit size

and folder structure is up to you, you can make a top level music folder if you want, but I just drag artist folders onto my sd cards, with their albums contained therein.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #14,584 of 15,897
I recommend using a fat32 formatter application on windows, 32kb cluster/allocation unit size

and folder structure is up to you, you can make a top level music folder if you want, but I just drag artist folders onto my sd cards, with their albums contained therein.

Yup- FAT32 Format GUI, formatting the card on the PC before installing in the X5.

Have a 128gb and 256gb formatted with above method and, so far, haven't had any problems. FiiO does recommend formatting SD cards w/FAT32.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #14,585 of 15,897
so perhaps i am just remembering wrong then - if i let the fiio handle the formatting will it be fat32 then??

also i'm skimming through this thread to remember things that were said.....how do i go about doing the format in the fiio if that's the route i'm going?

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #14,586 of 15,897
Formatting in the device no longer works, at least in the stock FiiO app if you scrolled to SD card you used to be able to swipe to the left and a little red formatting icon showed up. This swiping behavior is no longer there in new stock app.

So use a desktop application.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #14,587 of 15,897
oh geez

i wonder if i should try though - i haven't updated this thing in about a year now i think i'm on 1.2.2 and whatever the fiio music version was at that time
no harm to just pop it in and see what happens eh??

thanks much for the help i just want to get this right the first try!

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #14,588 of 15,897
Hello,

I will give an example of one Current Folder.

(1995) A Northern Soul
(1997) Urban Hyms
(2017) Urban Hymn - Unreleased Tracks
(1993) A Storm in Heaven
(2008) Forth

Originally my folder would have been sorted correctly as,

(1993) A Storm in Heaven
(1995) A Northern Soul
(1997) Urban Hyms
(2008) Forth
(2017) Urban Hymn - Unreleased Tracks
Dear friend,

Sorry about that. The engineer will go on improving the sorting in later firmware update.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #14,589 of 15,897
ok so i wasn't able to swipe left but i did click "erase SD card" or whatever and that seemed to do the trick
so, 8 hours later i have about 300 gigs on one card, did a scan and everything is working well so far.
soon i will start loading the 2nd card with another 280 gigs and see how my fiio likes the 2nd card slot :wink:

anyway....what ever came of the ability to sort by "album artist" with the fiio music player??
it's like i'm an album person, from start to finish. i would really love to be able to browse by artist but i can't because the results under a given artists' name is not always the full album.
folder view sure, it's set up exactly how i archive my music - but visually it's bad. i hardly see any of the cover art i bothered to gather and save (only see it when looking at the track that is playing).
what's worse is that i can barely read the album titles because the screen only fits a few characters. most of my folders are artist - album name (year)[format]{catalog} and that doesn't even come close to fitting on the screen.

any ideas here?

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #14,590 of 15,897
@FiiO Have sent several e-mail to support - following the recent firmware update, my x5iii's battery expanded and bulged out the back of the unit. There have been no replies or acknowledgements of my e-mails whatsoever, so I must resort to inquiring in a public forum: what can be done to service this unit?

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #14,591 of 15,897
@FiiO Have sent several e-mail to support - following the recent firmware update, my x5iii's battery expanded and bulged out the back of the unit. There have been no replies or acknowledgements of my e-mails whatsoever, so I must resort to inquiring in a public forum: what can be done to service this unit?
That sounds dangerous. There is a lot of empty space inside the case, so for it to bulge out means it really expanded. Hopefully you aren't using it again. Is it still in warranty?

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #14,592 of 15,897
That sounds dangerous. There is a lot of empty space inside the case, so for it to bulge out means it really expanded. Hopefully you aren't using it again. Is it still in warranty?
Yes, that sounds really dangerous. Is it too difficult to open it up? Just to give the damaged battery more space... that thing is done, but you do not want to put pressure on a bulged battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back