FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 29, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #2,941 of 7,088
I like SanDisk. Mostly because they were the first out with 128gb! Lol! I have Lexar as well for my cameras.

I tried a couple cheap cards I had lying around and haven't heard a difference in audio between media storage..... AT ALL. I think one of them was an Adata and I can't remember the other brand...... PNY maybe....

I just don't buy in to the idea that a card makes an AUDIBLE difference and I'm happier this way.

Edit: For rambling. :)

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #2,944 of 7,088
  While there are certainly some physical similarities, looking at the technical specs of that player, that's where the similarities end.

Or lack of technical specifications
wink_face.gif
Interesting find though, even a bit UI similarities.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,946 of 7,088
At the place where I work I already knew that 2 people had already bought FiiO's - which is how I found out about the brand.  It turns out that there is now 4 of us who own FiiO's.   Hopefully FiiO as a company continues to go from strength to strength.

I really like my x5ii.  I do wish the UI was nicer looking - but I guess we do have the custom themes (which I haven't dared to try out yet - but I know I really must)

I do hope that the scroll wheel does not become troublesome due to wear and tear (with it being a moving part).

Happy listening everybody.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,947 of 7,088
I agree about the wheel.
It's almost an inevitable fail and built in obsolescence.  I wish it had been capacitive or something similar.  I suspect the wheel will fail long before the electronics inside.
Anything moving runs the risk of wear, tear and damage before solid state circuits which won't change from day 1 to day 100.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,948 of 7,088
  I agree about the wheel.
It's almost an inevitable fail and built in obsolescence.  I wish it had been capacitive or something similar.  I suspect the wheel will fail long before the electronics inside.
Anything moving runs the risk of wear, tear and damage before solid state circuits which won't change from day 1 to day 100.

Yes I agree the wheel is the weak point of the Fiio's I've had so far.

My X1 had a dodgy wheel from the start. The X5ii is better but I don't have much faith in it lasting too long and the lag when navigating a directory is annoying.

Thankfully the menu system will still be navigational if the wheel does stop working.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #2,949 of 7,088
Yes I agree the wheel is the weak point of the Fiio's I've had so far.

My X1 had a dodgy wheel from the start. The X5ii is better but I don't have much faith in it lasting too long and the lag when navigating a directory is annoying.

Thankfully the menu system will still be navigational if the wheel does stop working.

I really don't feel the navigation has any lag at all. Compared to my iPod Classic it feels about the same as far as speed is concerned.

If the wheel stops working send it back to FiiO for repair. My original X5 is doing just fine and I purchased it a week after it first launched. I find the new generation wheel is sturdier and am not worried about reasonable longevity.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #2,950 of 7,088
My original X5 is doing just fine and I purchased it a week after it first launched. I find the new generation wheel is sturdier and am not worried about reasonable longevity.

Same here, as well as with my other FiiO products.  I've had good fortune with all my purchases.  I still own Onkyo receivers from the early nineties that run as good as new.  If you treat your gear with care, it oft times has nice longevity.  

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,951 of 7,088
Hi folks, need some help here. Is it possible to increase the font size so that us 50+ers dont have to reach for the reading glasses? Do one of the custom themes provide a larger font size?

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #2,953 of 7,088
We can't change the font size in the custom themes unfortunately. As far as I know my themes are the only custom ones available besides the one by AsianInvasion, which is beautiful, but it only has one custom theme and it breaks some functionality of the remaining four themes in the firmware (a result of shared coordinates across themes).

For readability my X5ii Classic or McFiiOtosh theme would be the best in my opinion out of the five themes. They are both included with my custom theme firmware.

You can find the themes here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread#post_11680988

It would be great to see others jump in and take a stab at doing some custom themes for the X5ii.

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #2,955 of 7,088

happy_face1.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Here we go Guys a new thread called:

A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775356/a-bit-of-music-and-a-bit-of-fun

We are hoping for some good music and different music from all parts of the world in any language.

No rules - just music/ video links and a bit of fun and anything you want to share with us (legally of course).
mad.gif
angry_face.gif

Cheers, Light-Man

deadhorse.gif
popcorn.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back