FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7,088

x RELIC x

Headphoneus Supremus
The latest generation of the outstanding X5 DAP from FiiO, released June 15th worldwide.

General Specifications:

Model/Number - X5 (X5 2nd gen)
Headphone Port - Standard 3.5mm Headphone Port
Color - Titanium
Drive Ability - 16~150 Ω
Dimensions - 109 mm× 63.5 mm× 15.3 mm
Volume Control - 120 steps digital potentiometer
Weight - 165 g
Equalizer - 10-band equalizer (±6dB)
Display Screen - 2.4", 262,144 color HD IPS screen with 400x360 pixels
Line Out - Standard 3.5mm Port (Shared line out / S/PDIF coaxial out)
Digital Out (Coaxial) - Standard 3.5mm Port (Shared line out / S/PDIF coaxial out)
Balance - 10 dB
USB DAC - Supporting up to 24bit / 192kHz and DSD (driver installation required)
Gain - 3.6dB(Gain=L) // 9.1dB(Gain=H

Partial Performance Parameters for Line Output

THD+N - <0.001% (1 kHz)
SNR - ≥114 dB (A-weight)
Frequency Response - 20 Hz~20 kHz
Dynamic Range - >110 dB
Crosstalk - >115 dB (10 KΩ/1 kHz)
Line Output Level - 1.53 Vrms (10 KΩ/1 kHz)

Partial Performance Parameters for Headphone Output:

Output Power 1 - >245 mW(32Ω//THD+N<1%)
Output Power 2 - >436 mW(16Ω/THD+N<1%)
Output Power 3 - >27 mW(300Ω/THD+N<1%)
Output Impedance - <0.2 Ω(32Ω)
Crosstalk - >75 dB (1 kHz)
THD+N - <0.001% (1 kHz)
Frequency Response - 20 Hz~20 kHz
MAX Output Voltage - >8.2 Vp-p
SNR - ≥117 dB (A-weighted)
MAX Output Current - >250 mA(For reference)

Power and Battery:

Power - DC5V 2A recommended
Battery Capacity - 3300 mAh
Charge Display - Red light indicates , green light turns on after fully charged
Battery Life - >10 h (32Ω; normal volume with display off )
Battery Display - Yes (Accurate battery % readings))
Charging Time - <4h (DC5V 2A)

Audio Formats Supported:

Lossless:
DSD: DSD64, DSD128 (.iso&.dsf & .dff);
APE(Fast): 192 kHz/24 bit;
APE(Normal): 96 kHz/24 bit;
APE (High): 96 kHz/24 bit;
AIFF: 192 kHz/24 bit;
FLAC: 192 kHz/24 bit;
WAV: 192 kHz/64 bit;
WMA Lossless: 96 kHz/24 bit;
Apple Lossless: 192 kHz/24 bit;
Lossy compression: MP2、MP3、AAC、ALAC、WMA、OGG...

Micro SD Card Compatibility

- 200gb and 256gb cards have been confirmed to work. FiiO'a listing of up to 128gb is because that was the highest capacity tested at the time of release. In theory it should accept cards with higher capacity as they become available, up to 2tb, but the system may become very slow in operation depending on how many files it needs to handle.

New features compared to the first generation X5:

1. All-new exterior design, improved build, with metal finish changed from powdered to brushed;
2. More compact and lightweight; smaller black borders around LCD;
3. All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution;
4. All new digital audio architecture, utilizing dual crystal oscillators dedicated to multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz respectively (including 176.4kHz=4x44.1, 192kHz=4x48 and DSD64 and DSD128 (multiples of 44.1), handling all major sample rates without resampling artifacts and minimal jitter;
5. Supporting hardware DSD decoding;
6. Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)
7. Breakthrough power architecture design that utilizes different system voltages for low and high gain, allowing maximum flexibility between long endurance and high driving power in the same unit.
8. All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.
9. Coulomb meter for precise battery level readouts.

Hardware info provided by James at FiiO:

This time the headlight of the X5ii is the sound but not the UI/shape , below is the some detial information.

the LPF is OPA1652, and the OP is OPA1612, and the buf is BUF634, it is powered by 14V , it is 40% higher than X5. 

it is a single PCM1792A as X5. we have not plan to implement dual DAC in our DAP. even in X7. 

Battery Replacement Info

1. The X5 2nd gen does not take 1st gen firmware updates, but its firmware obviously incorporates our latest improvements.
2. The battery takes some disassembly and soldering to replace--a tradeoff for fitting a bigger battery in the first place, one that does not require a thick plastic casing for handling and containment. Your local electronics repair shops will be able to carry out the change easily with provided instructions. The batteries themselves, we sell for under $20 including shipping.

Reviews

Review by hakushondaimao: REVIEW LINK

Review by fnkcow: REVIEW LINK

Review by nmatheis: REVIEW LINK

Review by Brooko: REVIEW LINK

Review by AndrewH13: REVIEW LINK

Review by Barra: REVIEW LINK

Review by originalsnuffy: REVIEW LINK

Review by semaj8james: REVIEW LINK

Review by twister6: REVIEW LINK

CUSTOM THEMES THREAD

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread

:)

May 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 7,088
The excitement for the X5 II has been unleashed and they are getting ready for the tours! Here is the tour information from Joe Bloggs

Please post the following info in this thread to apply for the tours. You don't need to give out your home address or anything, just an indication of your location so they can organize where the units need to travel.

I'm not the one organizing the tour. That job is in the hands of Joe. :)

Here is a list of tours still going on around the world, posted July 1st.

Some of these tours should still be taking applicants. :)
Original post by Joe:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/765943/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-impressions-and-discussion-tour-application-megathread/2175#post_11730245

http://forum.hardware.fr/ 

http://forum.videohifi.com/discussion/383136/tour-italiano-lettore-digitale-portatile-fiio-x5-2nd-gen#Item_3

http://www.audiostereo.pl/fiio-x5-ii-tour-polska-edycja_120957.html

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/headphones-earphones-portable-media-devices-314/fiio-x5-second-generation-audition-tour-singapore-5054921.html

http://reproductormp3.net/index.php?topic=23316.msg255603#new

http://forum.munkonggadget.com/detail.php?id=178424

http://www.techno-fi.net/forum/konu/fiio-x5ii-türkiye-turu.9443/

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs:

Ok, I see a lot of interest in the upcoming X5 2nd gen world tour, so I may as well strike while the iron is hot

Instead of creating a separate tour thread, I thought it might also work if I took applications in this thread together with the homies

So as before, here's the complete set of info for applicants to submit:

-Headphone(s) you possess:

-DAP(s) you possess:

-FiiO product(s) you possess (if any):

-Descriptions and links to review(s) you have posted (if any):

-Your geographical region (e.g. the city and country you live in):

-Language(s) you can read:

Shipping info:
Depending on the geographical distribution of selected reviewers, FiiO will ship out several X5's, one or more to reviewers in each region, e.g. SE Asia, Europe, Americas, Pacific region, etc. so that shipping costs from one reviewer to the next is kept low. FiiO will pay for shipping to the first reviewer and from the last reviewer back to FiiO for each region.

•Please note that the review X5's will not ship with micro SD cards. Please prepare your own micro SD cards and music files for review and preferably format the cards within the X5 prior to use.

Review regulations (subject to change before the tour commences):
•Reviewers should keep the X5 for at most 10 days before shipping to the next reviewer.
•Reviewers should ship the X5 to the next reviewer by registered post requiring signature in the padded box provided.
•Reviewers will not be held responsible for any damage to the X5 sustained during shipping or normal usage.
•Reviewers should do the review fairly and objectively, and related product photos are required. Alternatively review videos are welcome
•Reviewers should not overstate the advantages of the products.
•Reviewers should indicate that the review X5's are free loan units, in order to avoid any misunderstandings.
•Reviewers are prohibited from using or disseminating pirated music on the X5.
•Reviewers are reminded to listen responsibly and safely to the X5, to not use it when operating machinery or driving, and not to drive headphones to excessive volume with the X5.
•Changed rule: Reviewers don't need to send the review content to Joe Bloggs by pm for fact-checking prior to publishing—you may post your review directly to the product page (which I will create soon). But I would appreciate receiving notification that you've posted the review, so I can go about doing this basic fact-checking. I will contact you if I see anything that needs to be corrected. As before, we will only request corrections to basic facts regarding the specs / operation of the player and you may post the requested corrections alongside the original text for readers' reference.

For those in New Zealand and Australia who are interested, please contact Brooko with the same info, he's becoming something of an official FiiO tour organizer for that region :wink: Once again thank you Brooko for assuming such responsibility! (Believe me, it's more work than fun :eek:)

May 9, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 7,088
Really curious what this will have over the X3ii when all is said and done. The dual microSD cards would be fantastic. If only Fiio just nailed the amp quality so stacking wouldn't even be considered... 

May 9, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 7,088
  Really curious what this will have over the X3ii when all is said and done. The dual microSD cards would be fantastic. If only Fiio just nailed the amp quality so stacking wouldn't even be considered... 

I asked this a few times, and depends on what you are going to drive. Before i buyed a e12a i asked this question exactly, to know if buying e12a is a good ideea. 

It will depend a lot on what headphones or iems you drive. 

X7 will work the best without a secondary amp, the amp modules are designed to sound extremely well.

May 9, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 7,088
  I asked this a few times, and depends on what you are going to drive. Before i buyed a e12a i asked this question exactly, to know if buying e12a is a good ideea. 

X7 will work the best without a secondary amp, the amp modules are designed to sound extremely well.

With Fiio making such excellent amps with the E12A and E12DIY (even in stock config), I'd love to see that kind of specs/hardware in the X5ii. 

May 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 7,088

I suggest not making broad statements unless we have confirmed use of a device to assess the quality. FiiO always shoots for quality at a lower price point and I have faith the X5 II will be right up there, but two things........

1). Let's try to keep this for the X5 II and not the X7.

2). Until we know more information and actually listened to the device saying something 'will be' is misleading.

I agree though, it would be nice to have a cleaner amp in the X5 II, just not sure how possible it is to implement with the limited space in a DAP vs a dedicated portable amp. By the way, I have no real complaints with the X5 Classic driving my IEMs.

May 9, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 7,088
I PMd Joe asking for actual specs.  Will see what comes back.

May 9, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 7,088
May 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 7,088
Subbed. yes I know I don't have to but.....subbed.

May 9, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 7,088
The screen looks like it has no borders on either side like the X5 Classic has but it's hard to tell the size or resolution.

May 9, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 7,088
Ah, good eyes. This helps to get a sense of the overall width of the player if they are using the same screen size. So I'd say overall slightly narrower than Gen 1.

May 9, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 7,088
Ah, good eyes. This helps to get a sense of the overall width of the player if they are using the same screen size. So I'd say overall slightly narrower than Gen 1.

Can someone explain me why they are making screen like this?

May 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 7,088

Can someone explain me why they are making screen like this?

My guess is to maintain overall form factor and to fit everything they need to in the player. It's probably a design choice to have black boarders on either side of the screen to keep player proportions in line with the rest of the X lineup. FiiO isn't large enough of a company to request custom screen sizes from LCD manufacturers so they fit what they can source in to the chassis as best they can.

If they made the metal frame creep in to the screen edges it may feel like the screen was too small for the player, I'm just guessing on this point though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back