FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 27, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #2,911 of 7,088
That's how I do it, too. I'd be quite upset if I had to use a third-party app to transfer my music. That would be the end of my FiiO days. When I plug a DAP into my PC, I expect it to appear as a mass storage device.

I was furious when my Galaxy S4 stopped reading as a storage device. For a while there I had to root my phone and force it to behave properly. :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #2,912 of 7,088
That's how I do it, too. I'd be quite upset if I had to use a third-party app to transfer my music. That would be the end of my FiiO days. When I plug a DAP into my PC, I expect it to appear as a mass storage device.

I was furious when my Galaxy S4 stopped reading as a storage device. For a while there I had to root my phone and force it to behave properly.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use a third-party app to transfer my music because it creates copies of my playlists that will work on the X5 Gen 2. I could copy the music files to it and manually edit my playlists myself before I copy them to the DAP, but it is a whole lot easier to use Dapper from Map Pin Software to do the job. With over 12,000 Tracks on the X5, using that wheel to find a particular album or artist would be a challenge. Just a thought.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2,913 of 7,088

I use a third-party app to transfer my music because it creates copies of my playlists that will work on the X5 Gen 2. I could copy the music files to it and manually edit my playlists myself before I copy them to the DAP, but it is a whole lot easier to use Dapper from Map Pin Software to do the job. With over 12,000 Tracks on the X5, using that wheel to find a particular album or artist would be a challenge. Just a thought.

I also use "Dapper".  It is especially useful since I maintain several iPods, iPads, iPhones and FiiO DAPs.  I have at least 20 long standing playlist that get new additions and modifications on an ongoing basis.  I also create short lived playlist such as new additions, or albums I want to listen to.  iTunes allows me to create "smart playlist" based on my other playlist for the transfer by Dapper to the FiiOs, thus if I update a playlist the smart one automatically gets updated and the updated PL syncs with the FiiO next time I connect it.  I tell Dapper to put all the playlist in a folder labeled with "AAA Playlist" on FiiO TF Card 1, so that folder is at the top of all other folders in the FiiO folder list.  Now everything is easy to find and play :)  Play by category is still available if I want to use artist, album etc.  This is much easier to do than explain.  I transfer over 6000 Apple Lossless songs to the X5 with no issues.

X5 II, will get the same treatment once I have it.

YMMV,
r2

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #2,914 of 7,088
  Anyone else think clicking through the menus is slow?

Yes I find the menus slow relative to first gen X5 using flac files, also have noticed some bugs in the firmware v1.0 too in that play by category/artists if I have a number of albums by one particular artist in my case dire straits, if I pick one album X5 gen 2 will list all tracks1 tracks 2 tracks 3 etc from all dire straits albums not just the album i chose to listen too, if i go back and try a second time it usually gets it right and only list the tracks in order for that particular album, has anyone else experienced this? I have tried to re tag the albums but to no avail.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #2,916 of 7,088
Good morning everyone!
I apologize in advance for my newbness and difficulty in reading through 98 pages of posts, but I'm an audionoob, having been thrust into the audiophile world thanks to my iPod classic getting stolen, wife's crapping out, well, you all have heard or experienced that a thousand times. Between that and Apple's seemingly lacking care of music versus marketing pushed me to find something that really is solely for music. I found the X5II thanks to YOU guys, scouring Google (thanks!). I'm a bit confused at this point, since I know that this device is highly versatile and has hugely customizable capabilities but I can't figure out how to properly get it optimized. I got all my music onto it, all folders are organized and it even has the album artwork that it picked up from the discographies, but apparently the device considers the data to be files versus music? Allows me to make playlists, but also says music library found, nor will plugging the USB into my car play. Sorry for the long-winded post. I really just want to get everything to come up through the USB through my car without having to use line-in (need hands-free) but the USB isn't recognized. I know I probably need to start by updating firmware but of course I need to get a smaller FAT32 card to do so first. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to joining the community! :)

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2,917 of 7,088
Good morning everyone!
I apologize in advance for my newbness and difficulty in reading through 98 pages of posts, but I'm an audionoob, having been thrust into the audiophile world thanks to my iPod classic getting stolen, wife's crapping out, well, you all have heard or experienced that a thousand times. Between that and Apple's seemingly lacking care of music versus marketing pushed me to find something that really is solely for music. I found the X5II thanks to YOU guys, scouring Google (thanks!). I'm a bit confused at this point, since I know that this device is highly versatile and has hugely customizable capabilities but I can't figure out how to properly get it optimized. I got all my music onto it, all folders are organized and it even has the album artwork that it picked up from the discographies, but apparently the device considers the data to be files versus music? Allows me to make playlists, but also says music library found, nor will plugging the USB into my car play. Sorry for the long-winded post. I really just want to get everything to come up through the USB through my car without having to use line-in (need hands-free) but the USB isn't recognized. I know I probably need to start by updating firmware but of course I need to get a smaller FAT32 card to do so first. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to joining the community!
smily_headphones1.gif

You are going to have to use the line out for your car. The USB connector on the X5ii is for charging and inputting data only, not outputting.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2,919 of 7,088
Sorry that I haven't read through the entire thread.  But a few questions.

I have all of my music files in my iTunes library.  Am I correct that to transfer files onto the X5ii, I connect the device, it appears as another HDD in Finder (yes, Mac), and just copy the folders I want onto the X5ii?  X5ii does not come with its own desktop interface?  (I just saw above a post about "Dapper".  I'll check that out.)

Also, am I correct that the X5ii only recognizes four tags -- Artist, Album, Track and Genre?  (And, from what I've read, the Genre tag is fairly useless.)  There is no way to sort by Composer or Album Artist?

Thank you.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,920 of 7,088
The X5ii connects as individual external drives for each Micro SD card. You can copy files and folders from your iTunes Music folder using drag and drop. When you disconnect the X5ii from your Mac, it needs to scan the SD Cards to create its library. You can then use the Categories list to sort by Songs, Albums, Artists or Genre. There is also a category for internally created playlists. The X5ii does not come with a desktop interface. You can also use the Folder view to look at your music. Since iTunes organizes the music folder by Album Artist, that would be the same as looking at a category.

Take a look at Dapper in the Mac App Store. It is a nice bridge between iTunes and various DAPs. The only downside for me to the X5ii is the wheel rather than a touch screen for viewing long lists. Just takes too long to find something.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,921 of 7,088
 You are going to have to use the line out for your car. The USB connector on the X5ii is for charging and inputting data only, not outputting.

Some automotive sound systems may see the X5II as a storage device and show the folders/files.

YMMV,
r2

The car I'm trying to connect to is a Hyundai Sonata SE 2015, any thoughts?

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #2,922 of 7,088
Good morning everyone!
I apologize in advance for my newbness and difficulty in reading through 98 pages of posts, but I'm an audionoob, having been thrust into the audiophile world thanks to my iPod classic getting stolen, wife's crapping out, well, you all have heard or experienced that a thousand times. Between that and Apple's seemingly lacking care of music versus marketing pushed me to find something that really is solely for music. I found the X5II thanks to YOU guys, scouring Google (thanks!). I'm a bit confused at this point, since I know that this device is highly versatile and has hugely customizable capabilities but I can't figure out how to properly get it optimized. I got all my music onto it, all folders are organized and it even has the album artwork that it picked up from the discographies, but apparently the device considers the data to be files versus music? Allows me to make playlists, but also says music library found, nor will plugging the USB into my car play. Sorry for the long-winded post. I really just want to get everything to come up through the USB through my car without having to use line-in (need hands-free) but the USB isn't recognized. I know I probably need to start by updating firmware but of course I need to get a smaller FAT32 card to do so first. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to joining the community!
smily_headphones1.gif

Meh. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back