FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 28, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,926 of 7,088
I can see that being really annoying -- scrolling one by one through 256 gb of music files.

I don't know these things, but I would have thought that replicating the good feature of Apple's UI would be the easy and obvious choice for any new DAP.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2,927 of 7,088
Quick scroll search has been number one on the request list since the first FiiO dap was released, the original X3. I don't think it will happen with the UI they are using else it would have surely been done by now. These guys aren't Apple and don't have the software chops to create the same user experience. The trade off is you get better sound at a reasonable cost with more options for file formats and output of very good quality sound.

As mentioned many times in this thread one of the best ways to quickly navigate on the FiiO DAPs is folder browsing. Create alphabetical folders and then place your artist folders underneath, with album folders under that containing the tracks of the album. This way if you have a folder for each letter of the alphabet you only need to scroll 13 folders (to the middle of the list scrolling CW or CCW). With the 'Play Through Folders' option on it makes folder playback quite seamless.

For updating the FW you do not need a separate empty card. Just load the FW file to the root of the card in slot one and update normally. No fuss and works every time. Just make sure your card if formatted as FAT32 (and preferably formatted from the X5ii settings menu).

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #2,928 of 7,088
  I bought this wanting a good DAT that I could afford. What drew my attention to this product was the burr brown 1792 DAC chip. Back when CD players were all the rage the 1792 chip was the decoder that you would find in a lot of high end cd players. There is a lot more electronics that surround that chip to finally produce a sound that is full and nice to listen to.  The output chips are also top of the line but I did know much about them or what other products they are used in.

Indeed, the BB1792 chips were a large portion of what made me choose the X5II.  My Linn Karik/Numerik pair used a quad of 1792's is still the best standalone CD/DAC pair I've ever heard in my system (and I've had several).

In my case I DID come from the iPod ranks.  But my wife recently decided that I was desperately lacking in the number of large paperweights which I had at my disposal on my desk. So, in order to rectify this deficit she decided to run my venerable 80g iPod Classic through the laundry machines.  And now...all my paperweight needs have been truly met.

I had looked at and was leaning toward a Pono....but whereas Ayre may soon be taking them over as a company product, that was all I needed to look elsewhere (not a big Ayre fan, their customer service...isn't). So after lots of research on the X5II, the DX50, the A&K's, and one or two others.....my shiny new X5II arrived just this morning.

Haven't had a great amount of time to play with it yet, but what time I have had has been pretty impressive.  It clearly has the BurrBrown sound.

I think I made the right choice!!

....sT

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2,929 of 7,088
....btw....mine came with FW1.0 and the (REALLY) stinky silicon case.   But a couple hand washes with orange Dawn took the smell out.  Now it just smells like silicon.

....sT

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,930 of 7,088
Just thought I'd drop a plug for the ability to create custom themes for the X5ii. Seems I'm the only one that has done a full theme set so far and I'm quite surprised by this as the original X5 has dozens of the custom themes to choose from by a variety of people with some very different ideas.

IMO it improves the user experience.

C'mon and jump in!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #2,931 of 7,088

Indeed, the BB1792 chips were a large portion of what made me choose the X5II.  My Linn Karik/Numerik pair used a quad of 1792's is still the best standalone CD/DAC pair I've ever heard in my system (and I've had several).

In my case I DID come from the iPod ranks.  But my wife recently decided that I was desperately lacking in the number of large paperweights which I had at my disposal on my desk. So, in order to rectify this deficit she decided to run my venerable 80g iPod Classic through the laundry machines.  And now...all my paperweight needs have been truly met.

I had looked at and was leaning toward a Pono....but whereas Ayre may soon be taking them over as a company product, that was all I needed to look elsewhere (not a big Ayre fan, their customer service...isn't). So after lots of research on the X5II, the DX50, the A&K's, and one or two others.....my shiny new X5II arrived just this morning.

Haven't had a great amount of time to play with it yet, but what time I have had has been pretty impressive.  It clearly has the BurrBrown sound.

I think I made the right choice!!

....sT

...just curious...Ayre is taking over the Pono? Where did that get discussed?

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2,932 of 7,088

...just curious...Ayre is taking over the Pono? Where did that get discussed?

I said they MAY be taking it over at some point.  There have been several mentions in various forums that seem to indicate that Young is getting tired of playing with hardware and may, in the not too distant future, be wanting to just focus on the Hi-Rez file end of things.  The consensus in nearly every discussion was, in that event, as Ayre did much of the development they would be the likely recipient of the matter.  

Granted this is a lot of conjecture, but there is a certain logic to it and it does fit in with the way Ayre has operated in the past.

....sT

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #2,933 of 7,088
I said they MAY be taking it over at some point.  There have been several mentions in various forums that seem to indicate that Young is getting tired of playing with hardware and may, in the not too distant future, be wanting to just focus on the Hi-Rez file end of things.  The consensus in nearly every discussion was, in that event, as Ayre did much of the development they would be the likely recipient of the matter.  

Granted this is a lot of conjecture, but there is a certain logic to it and it does fit in with the way Ayre has operated in the past.

....sT

AH! Okay :). Was just wondering...would be nice if they picked it up and ran with it. The firmware needs some love...and the battery.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,935 of 7,088
Anyone try a 200 GB card in the X5ii?

I posted about it earlier.  It worked, but couldn't complete the media updating and hung up.  It also ran slowly through the subheadings of genre and artist, but scrolled and played normally via folder view... but mine could always be an isolated case.  Nevertheless, other hiccups of this sort have been reported.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,936 of 7,088
For those of you that have used them, How do the following compare to the iPod Touch.  The Fiio X5ii, the AK jr, and the AK 100ii.  This is the range I'm looking at in my attempt to extricate myself from the clutches of Apple.  A BIG drawback of the Fiio is the lack of bluetooth, but it looks as if that will be remedied by the X7 which is also a possibility.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #2,937 of 7,088
  For those of you that have used them, How do the following compare to the iPod Touch.  The Fiio X5ii, the AK jr, and the AK 100ii.  This is the range I'm looking at in my attempt to extricate myself from the clutches of Apple.  A BIG drawback of the Fiio is the lack of bluetooth, but it looks as if that will be remedied by the X7 which is also a possibility.

As I've said earlier, I came over from Apple.  I had a Classic...but it is now dead and has been long enough that I cannot truly offer a good comparison. My memory just isn't good enough to be precise.  I DO have a third or fourth gen Touch, though (the super thin chrome-backed one).  I didn't buy it to use as an iPod...it began life as a remote for my audio server and was later replaced by an iPad Mini Retina.  It was only after my Classic was killed that I dug the Touch back out and have been recently using it.

My X5II arrived only yesterday, and has but maybe 7 or 8 hours on it.  Clearly, it's not burned in as yet and indeed exhibits all the symptoms of such as per other comments on the matter in this thread.  All of that being said.....it runs rings around the Touch!  Quite honestly, the Touch was about to make my ears bleed.  The highs are shrill and hissy at best.  The lows are there but reserved and even muddy at times.  The X5II, even in it's virginal state, does so much better.  It exhibits none of these problems.  And it hits you over the head with it right from the start.

FWIW...all of this is using B&W C5II's for the most part.

....sT

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #2,938 of 7,088
The car I'm trying to connect to is a Hyundai Sonata SE 2015, any thoughts?

Yes....you need a new car!   
tongue.gif

(jk)

....sT

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #2,939 of 7,088

The UI of the X5ii can't touch the iPod or the AK players for that matter, but what it does is run audio circles around the iPod devices IMO. For less than the least expensive AK player you're still getting TOTL sound in a small package. Many who first come from the iPod world who don't notice much of a difference right away usually go back to the iDevices after about a week of exclusive X5ii listening and find that the iDevice now sounds veiled.

Also keep in mind that the X5ii will reward you more the better your headphones are. Poor headphones will give poor sound. The ones I currently own have been sounding great out of the X5ii. Also file quality will be more important going to any of the mentioned DAPs as they are all more revealing of the source file.

Personally I don't like Bluetooth sound so no love lost for me there, but yeah, no Bluetooth on the X5ii. I think the X7 might be a better replacement for an iPod touch as it has a touch interface, Bluetooth, and knowing what the hardware is going to be the X7 will be a bargain at its $699 U.S. MSRP IMO. The only downside is waiting until October/November for the X7 worldwide release (sometime in August for China)

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #2,940 of 7,088
Also keep in mind that the X5ii will reward you more the better your headphones are. Poor headphones will give poor sound. The ones I currently own have been sounding great out of the X5ii. Also file quality will be more important going to any of the mentioned DAPs as they are all more revealing of the source file.

What is your preference for memory cards and have you discerned significant differences between brands and sizes as others have expressed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back