FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 31, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #2,956 of 7,088
We can't change the font size in the custom themes unfortunately. As far as I know my themes are the only custom ones available besides the one by @AsianInvasion, which is beautiful, but it only has one custom theme and it breaks some functionality of the remaining four themes in the firmware (a result of shared coordinates across themes).

For readability my X5ii Classic or McFiiOtosh theme would be the best in my opinion out of the five themes. They are both included with my custom theme firmware.

You can find the themes here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread#post_11680988

It would be great to see others jump in and take a stab at doing some custom themes for the X5ii.

Thanks. Will try out the themes. Also do hope that Fiio will address the font size issue in future updates.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,957 of 7,088
Just taken the plunge on a DAC after using the iPod Classic for years. initially bought it just so I could up my capacity of music, as I have over 180GB now.

Having now done some research into the product I've bought (after purchasing!) I'm really happy with this DAC.

A few questions though, if anyone could be so kind to answer:

* I'm using twin 128GB Sandisk class 10 microSD cards.

With over 25,000 songs of variable quality (I know, I should be flaccing everything) the indexing of the folder system using Dapper is quite slow. I have so many artist folders the UI goes very slowly when browsing.

The workaround I've tried is to simply reorganise the music after Dapper transfers it, into a-Z sub folders, but this messes up the playlists that Dapper creates, e.g:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:279,Doggy - Animal Collective
TF1:\A\Animal Collective\Campfire Songs\02 Doggy.Mp3
#EXTINF:253,Campfire - Grizzly Bear
TF1:\Grizzly Bear\Horn Of Plenty\04 Campfire.Mp3
#EXTINF:316,The Moon - The Microphones
TF1:\The Microphones\The Glow Pt. 2\03 The Moon.Mp3
#EXTINF:327,Kids Will Be Skeletons - Mogwai
TF1:\Mogwai\Happy Songs For Happy People\03 Kids Will Be Skeletons.Mp3
#EXTINF:330,Desperation Breeds... - Andrew Bird
TF1:\Andrew Bird\Break It Yourself\01 Desperation Breeds....Mp3
#EXTINF:273,Running, Returning - Akron/Family
TF1:\Akron_Family\Akron_Family\06 Running, Returning.Mp3
#EXTINF:253,The Bachelor and the Bride - The Decemberists
TF1:\The Decemberists\Her Majesty The Decemberists\05 The Bachelor And The Bride.Mp3

For this to now work, I have to manually add in the sub folder after TF1:\ for EACH song (IE that Animal Collective song needs a \A\ to work), as find and replace doesn't seem to help me. Anyone have a way round this?

SHORT VERSION: I would like to create alphabetical sub-folders to increase menu speed, without messing up the playlists.

Love LOVE the player all in all.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #2,958 of 7,088
I have just realized something about my X5II.  While it came with the installed screen protector, apparently I did not receive the extras that were supposed to be packaged with it.  

I doubt anyone is packaging X5II protectors yet.  But, is there another unit someplace with an identically proportioned screen that I might find protectors for?  I'd like to have the spares. Sooner or later I'll need them, I'm sure.

....sT

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2,959 of 7,088
I have just realized something about my X5II.  While it came with the installed screen protector, apparently I did not receive the extras that were supposed to be packaged with it.  

I doubt anyone is packaging X5II protectors yet.  But, is there another unit someplace with an identically proportioned screen that I might find protectors for?  I'd like to have the spares. Sooner or later I'll need them, I'm sure.

....sT

Contact FiiO.

They're very good about this sort of thing and you'll get the screen protector that is meant for the X5ii.

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,960 of 7,088
  Just taken the plunge on a DAC after using the iPod Classic for years. initially bought it just so I could up my capacity of music, as I have over 180GB now.

Having now done some research into the product I've bought (after purchasing!) I'm really happy with this DAC.

A few questions though, if anyone could be so kind to answer:

* I'm using twin 128GB Sandisk class 10 microSD cards.

With over 25,000 songs of variable quality (I know, I should be flaccing everything) the indexing of the folder system using Dapper is quite slow. I have so many artist folders the UI goes very slowly when browsing.

The workaround I've tried is to simply reorganise the music after Dapper transfers it, into a-Z sub folders, but this messes up the playlists that Dapper creates, e.g:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:279,Doggy - Animal Collective
TF1:\A\Animal Collective\Campfire Songs\02 Doggy.Mp3
#EXTINF:253,Campfire - Grizzly Bear
TF1:\Grizzly Bear\Horn Of Plenty\04 Campfire.Mp3
#EXTINF:316,The Moon - The Microphones
TF1:\The Microphones\The Glow Pt. 2\03 The Moon.Mp3
#EXTINF:327,Kids Will Be Skeletons - Mogwai
TF1:\Mogwai\Happy Songs For Happy People\03 Kids Will Be Skeletons.Mp3
#EXTINF:330,Desperation Breeds... - Andrew Bird
TF1:\Andrew Bird\Break It Yourself\01 Desperation Breeds....Mp3
#EXTINF:273,Running, Returning - Akron/Family
TF1:\Akron_Family\Akron_Family\06 Running, Returning.Mp3
#EXTINF:253,The Bachelor and the Bride - The Decemberists
TF1:\The Decemberists\Her Majesty The Decemberists\05 The Bachelor And The Bride.Mp3

For this to now work, I have to manually add in the sub folder after TF1:\ for EACH song (IE that Animal Collective song needs a \A\ to work), as find and replace doesn't seem to help me. Anyone have a way round this?

SHORT VERSION: I would like to create alphabetical sub-folders to increase menu speed, without messing up the playlists.

Love LOVE the player all in all.

First up - welcome to Head-Fi :)

Next - the term you are looking for is DAP (Digital Audio Player) not DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) - just thought I'd correct the terminology now in case it becomes misleading in any other inquiries you might make 
wink.gif

Unfortunately with Fiio - there is no accelerated browsing, or search function - so what you see is what you get.  For large libraries, the best way I've found is too organise folders:
\A-C\artist\album
\D-F\artist\album
etc
and use folder browsing rather than tags

Unfortunately for your play lists - there is no work around I can think of.  You'll need to manually edit them with the first level folder location.  The only thing you could do - if you are OK with code - is to write a batch file to convert (nested if/then statements, based on the first letter of the artist).  Unfortunately it would be beyond me - but someone might be able to help?

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #2,963 of 7,088
My fiio x5ii can't power up. Pls help, what should i do?
Try holding down the power button for ten to twelve seconds and see if it reboots/resets.  Hope that helps!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

I would agree, but plug it in to charge for at least a half an hour to an hour first if the battery has been drained deeply.

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #2,965 of 7,088
VERY long time lurker, just wanted to thank those that put in the time to talk about the player before I pulled the trigger on getting one.

YES the case stank like hell, but soaking in hot water got rid of the smell (as I have to do with Scuba rubber equipment sometimes when new).

Appreciate Relic and others that have done some themes - I cheated and made my own 1.0 FW with a mix and match of the two available - find the stock ones not particularly great, might toy myself with making my own. It'd be nice if there was a ready-to-use layered PSD file that one could use as a template, I'm betting I might have to be the one to make that.

SQ seems as excellent as I'd expect - I previous had the X3 ver 1. and could hear noticeable hissing with my SE846s when paused or between tracks (no, not tape hiss), a factor that's absent with the X5ii unless I crank to 120, a level that would surely kill my ears. For giggles I plugged in my old, trusty Sennheiser 540reference phones, the first good pair of cans I ever purchased some 20 years ago. Cranked to 120 again they sounded pretty good still, a very different sound than my IEMs (of course) or my closed capsule HD-25s.

It was nice to be realistic about what I was getting - the nav on the first X3 was clunky but the buttons worked well. The trackwheel this time is loose and jangly, a far cry from an iPods. Still, it's a more elegant way of getting around, and save for the fact that it feels like a spinning plate rather than something precision designed as an input tool I'm fine with it. I'd prefer more official themes that used differing font options, as, yet, the tiny writing isn't ideal for the tiny screen. Still, it's a decent enough layout, and fast to navigate by folder.

Have been enjoying listening to music I haven't in a while, delving into some high-res tracks that really open up on this player. I've got 256gb on the go, something that only a few years ago would have been unheard of (alas, in mp3s alone I've got 900+gb so we're a long way from having everything in the library). I would have loved Bluetooth just for convenience, ditto for DLNA, but that's I guess options for another device. As an iPod classic replacement it's a mighty device, and I'm excited to see what advances in FW might bring to this already fine player.

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #2,966 of 7,088

As an iPod classic replacement it's a mighty device, and I'm excited to see what advances in FW might bring to this already fine player.

I haven't even looked at my Classic iPod ever since diving into the alternative DAP world.  The FiiO X5 Next Gen really is dandy.  I always found it interesting that Apple's immobile wheel design was patented, hence all these upstarts have been able to replicate the look of an iPod, which drew many to the X1 and more.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #2,967 of 7,088
That's really helpful - thank you. And thanks for correcting me!

The problem I would have in the future is that when Dapper adds more music to the Dap, it won't put them in the a-c folders, etc - it will dump them in the first level of folders.

I wonder if anyone has a workaround for this already?

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #2,968 of 7,088

Why not make playlist for A, B, C, or A-C, or something and then use the playlist, could be artist, album or what not or PL for all of theses, just lots of playlist.
I make smart playlist copies of my standard playlist and whenever I add/update the standard the DAPPER smart copy one gets automatic update.
Tell Dapper to put the playlist in a folder like AAA_Playlist and it will be at the top of the TF1 folder list.

YMMV,
R

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,969 of 7,088
Thank you too all who gave me tips on it.
Sadly it is dead it doesn't want to boot up, i try charging it, the power button indicate green light but couldn't boot.
i have sent email to fiio support hope something miracle would happen
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #2,970 of 7,088
Thank you too all who gave me tips on it.
Sadly it is dead it doesn't want to boot up, i try charging it, the power button indicate green light but couldn't boot.
i have sent email to fiio support hope something miracle would happen
:frowning2:
does it respond to a firmware flashing?
Fiio Shadow tech support wrote
★Choose a TF card (Micro SD Card) with FAT32 file system. If the update process fails, pls change to use a blank TF card with capacity under 32GB, and directly format it by X5 2nd gen before the upgrade again.
★ The original file data in the TF card will not be corrupted when upgrading.
★Ensure that the X5 2nd gen is sufficiently charged (preferably fully charged) before the upgrade to prevent power failure during upgrade.
Methods to Upgrading via TF card:
1. Choose a card with FAT32 file system.
2. Unzip the firmware upgrade package from FiiO and copy the X5II.fw file within to the root directory of the TF card.
3. Turn off the X5 2nd gen and insert the card into the left TF slot.
4. Hold the “Shortcuts” key (the key to the upper left of the scroll wheel) and then press the “Power / Lock” button to turn on the X5 2nd gen. The following firmware upgrade dialog will appear.

★Do not press buttons or turn the dial on the X5 2nd gen while the upgrade is in progress.
5. When the firmware upgrade is complete, the X5 2nd gen will restart automatically.
★Please delete the X5II.fw file from the TF card after the update is complete.
★Please update the media library again after the firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back