[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #2,161 of 3,610
Maybe that's because you are not using the local files using the Fiio app? both our issues with the skipping come from the Fiio app...and wired, too.

I have just done a factory reset, and I am trying to see it this solves the problem.

Oh I also have ~500 albums (aac256) on a 64Gb card - don't have issues with those either. My biggest issue would be battery life (leaving it on standby with bluetooth and wireless left on, and having it flat ~3 days later).

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #2,162 of 3,610
Oh I also have ~500 albums (aac256) on a 64Gb card - don't have issues with those either. My biggest issue would be battery life (leaving it on standby with bluetooth and wireless left on, and having it flat ~3 days later).

hmm well good for you then. I am listening to it right now, so far it's okay, but then it has only been a few minutes.

Could it have something to do with card size? i have 256GB card with various formats from mp3, aac, flac, alac all up to 24/192. Maybe the change in file format and bitrate that may have caused the audio glitch?

@FiiO ?

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #2,164 of 3,610
Thanks guys - might test some stuff with higher bit-rate and see if I can replicate.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,165 of 3,610
It's happened maybe 5 times (?) in roughly 80 hours of listening.

I think I have had worse, and it has only been a day...

Edit: It has been a while since I did the factory reset, and I have been playing songs non-stop. Apart from the stutter from the play pause button, I think the factory reset has solved it. Great news!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #2,166 of 3,610
Upgraded from a 128 GB Sandisk Ultra microsd card to a Samsung Evo Plus 256 GB

I wasn't expecting any real differences but to my surprise their are. With my old Sandisk card it always took 3 attempts to scan new music, with the EVO is gets on the first try every time. The Evo also scans new music much faster than my Sandisk which could be dead slow at times. The biggest surprise is I no longer experience any microgaps in any tracks regardless of the format and I have yet to experience any cut in on the first few seconds on a song. It could be reloading my entire 7000+ song library cleaned it up. I was going to save a few bucks and just get a Sandisk 200 GB microsd card but very glad I upgraded to the EVO 256.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #2,167 of 3,610
If @FiiO whitelist Pulsar app, I'd recommend M6 hands down to any of my audiophile friends, as of now Shanling M2X and Hiby R3 are fierce competition, just because of the already reported errors of Fiio music app and it's unconformability for +10k song collections, with more options to choose where to play your music locally, it'd be the perfect player in its price range. As of now is an incredible DAP with a mediocre music app, for now, I'll keep it to see how the next firmware is and if it deals with the already reported problems.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #2,168 of 3,610
I've had occasional minor little hiccups at the start of songs with both Spotify offline files and playing through the Fiio player using my own stored music of varying bitrates from 160 up to flac. This is with a 64GB SD card. It's either a tiny little skip just as the song starts, or the first second or so of the song is missed all together. It doesn't happen too often, and I suspect it happens mostly if I advance through a few tracks in quick succession.

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #2,169 of 3,610
@Brooko or anyone else who owns the K3, is the M6 comparable in sound? I really like the sound of the K3 and would like something similar in dap form. Maybe the M9 is closer since it uses an AKM dac chip like the K3?

Gets quite tough to tell when you volume match and fast swap. Basically I lined up the Cayin N5ii, FiiO M6, M9, X5iii and X7ii (with new AM3D module). Headphones used were the HD630VB.

N5ii is noticeably leaner and brighter.
M6 and M9 both sound similar and I'd suggest the K3 would sit right between the two of them - but we're talking fractions. The M6 seems slightly warmer than the M9 (if that makes a difference)
X5iii is marginally warmer again (still remains my favourite FiiO)
The X7ii is also very close - and really sounds spectacular with the AM3D - very similar tonally, just another level of refinement (think velvet)

So I think either the M6 or M9 would be a good choice - but I'd suggest M9 is probably closest overall.

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #2,171 of 3,610
quick query - is there a volume normalization option in the Fiio music player and if so, does it work well? It's so annoying when some tracks are recorded at a certain volume and others are so quiet in comparison. Constantly fiddling with the volume buttons is a pain. However, I've found in the past that the normalization often seems to have a negative effect on sound quality - like it compresses things or something. I wish you could select a track and then have the library normalized to that level...

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #2,172 of 3,610
Gets quite tough to tell when you volume match and fast swap. Basically I lined up the Cayin N5ii, FiiO M6, M9, X5iii and X7ii (with new AM3D module). Headphones used were the HD630VB.

N5ii is noticeably leaner and brighter.
M6 and M9 both sound similar and I'd suggest the K3 would sit right between the two of them - but we're talking fractions. The M6 seems slightly warmer than the M9 (if that makes a difference)
X5iii is marginally warmer again (still remains my favourite FiiO)
The X7ii is also very close - and really sounds spectacular with the AM3D - very similar tonally, just another level of refinement (think velvet)

So I think either the M6 or M9 would be a good choice - but I'd suggest M9 is probably closest overall.
Good stuff, much appreciated! M9 seems to be worth checking into if it too has low noise and gapless via the Fiio app, which seems to be the case from what I’ve read.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #2,173 of 3,610
quick query - is there a volume normalization option in the Fiio music player and if so, does it work well? It's so annoying when some tracks are recorded at a certain volume and others are so quiet in comparison. Constantly fiddling with the volume buttons is a pain. However, I've found in the past that the normalization often seems to have a negative effect on sound quality - like it compresses things or something. I wish you could select a track and then have the library normalized to that level...
Just asked the same question on the M11 thread.I also would love crossfade. I always use random when I play my music and these two options are vital for random play. Hope I can find a DAP that has this. My iPod Nano does crossfade and its excellent for keeping the music playing

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,174 of 3,610
@Sgt. Ear Ache , @mattg3
What you're looking for is replay-gain. In the FiiO music app its engaged in settings. I have mine set to "track" because I tend to put my library on shuffle. IMPORTANT - in order for it to work, you have to have the gain info encoded into your tracks. The easiest way to do this is via Foobar2000 or dbpoweramp.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #2,175 of 3,610
I've had occasional minor little hiccups at the start of songs with both Spotify offline files and playing through the Fiio player using my own stored music of varying bitrates from 160 up to flac. This is with a 64GB SD card. It's either a tiny little skip just as the song starts, or the first second or so of the song is missed all together. It doesn't happen too often, and I suspect it happens mostly if I advance through a few tracks in quick succession.
yeah, this pretty much sums up the experience for me as well. it happens frequently, and it's always in the beginning. i thought that the factory reset did it for me, but it's back again after i left it on idle for a few hours...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back