[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Apr 17, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #2,131 of 3,610
Lol I hear ya, so many choices. These days SD Cards are quite affordable and you can load lots of good music on them even in 16BIT FLAC quality. I go back and forward with these things (specially because the ripping sometimes.. well I'm lazy for it :D ) but I think the perfect spot for me is: 1) Best sounding / essential records / top playlists as digital FLAC files in local storage "for the road" 2) Lots more in my NAS in my Local network 3) Spotify or Tidal online for anything that just comes to mind while out there.

Ah.. to think that as a kid I could hardly afford a single cassette tape and when someone had a Beatles LP we were like mad to try to grab a record of them.. Those 60 or 90 minutes were never enough LOL

Yeah, am with you on the cassette tape thing, haha. I remember getting those great SA's from TDX for good standard recordings, and for REALLY good recordings SA-X's or, heaven forbid, METAL, if you had the tape deck good enough !! And then filling in the spaces with extra tracks to make the most of the cassette. Oh, and of course a good mix tape for the car:wink: Ah, the good old 1980's

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #2,132 of 3,610
honestly, it's just crazy what we have now for portable music. Back in the mid 80s I was constantly buying new portable tape players (aka Walkmans) and making mix tapes (countless hours spent making mix tapes!) for music on the go. Having to carry the machine and a few 90 minute tapes (because we all know going up to 120 minute tapes was a recipe for poor sound and lots of tangled tapes) was a pain. Now I can fit my player, buds and an absolutely enormous library of music in my shirt pocket. I can set it on shuffle and not hear the same song twice for weeks, lol...and instead of having to buy new batteries every 6 hours of listening I just plug the thing in and let it charge up over night. :)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #2,133 of 3,610
Does this thing actually have gapless or is it a gimmick? Every music player that isn't an iDevice or utilize Rockbox that claims to have gapless playback seems to have some kind of hiccup between songs. I always read someone hyping this feature on a device just to read another impression saying that it doesn't work. Does it truly work in this case or other newer Fiio players, or even any other device that isn't an iDevice or a Rockbox user for that matter? It'd be nice if the upcoming M5 has it as well. I'd be using wav files. I appreciate any help.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #2,134 of 3,610
Does this thing actually have gapless or is it a gimmick? Every music player that isn't an iDevice or utilize Rockbox that claims to have gapless playback seems to have some kind of hiccup between songs. I always read someone hyping this feature on a device just to read another impression saying that it doesn't work. Does it truly work in this case or other newer Fiio players, or even any other device that isn't an iDevice or a Rockbox user for that matter? It'd be nice if the upcoming M5 has it as well. I'd be using wav files. I appreciate any help.

certainly works for me. Just double checked it now with a couple of albums, live coltrane village vanguard and acoustic evening with taj mahal.

that's with the Fiio App.

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #2,136 of 3,610
Gapless works great for me on DSoTM (FLAC redbook files)

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #2,137 of 3,610
As an M6 thread it's nice to keep the M6 as the pivot of conversation. The M6 and M7 are different in function. The M7 cannot stream WiFi, the M6 can. So therefore those who want to use streaming services cannot use the M7. It's comparing Apples and Oranges. They are different.

Well actually with the exception of wifi they are pretty much the same functionally.

I would argue they are more similar than different so more like comparing green apples to red vs apples to oranges. Outside of wifi on the M6 and FM radio on the M7 they have all the same hardware and support all the same bluetooth codecs. Even the software is pretty much the same and any firmware updates for one will likely be supported on the other outside of possibly support for whitelisted apps. Having heard both they also sound similar with the M7 being slightly warmer. Since the M7 thread is pretty much dead this is where I have to come to see any updates from Fiio. So can't say I agree with you on this.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #2,138 of 3,610
Well actually with the exception of wifi they are pretty much the same functionally.

I would argue they are more similar than different so more like comparing green apples to red vs apples to oranges. Outside of wifi on the M6 and FM radio on the M7 they have all the same hardware and support all the same bluetooth codecs. Even the software is pretty much the same and any firmware updates for one will likely be supported on the other outside of possibly support for whitelisted apps. Having heard both they also sound similar with the M7 being slightly warmer. Since the M7 thread is pretty much dead this is where I have to come to see any updates from Fiio. So can't say I agree with you on this.

The M6 streams WiFi. The M7 does not. If a person wants WiFi streaming, such as Spotify, Tidal etc how will the M7 be of use? I think you are being a bit defensive. Maybe the M7 sounds better, but it will be useless for Spotify, Tidal users. Empirical, real world, scientific fact. It OK to have the M7. It might sound better. It's OK.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #2,139 of 3,610

Gapless works fine except when playing in shuffle mode.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #2,140 of 3,610
Gapless works fine except when playing in shuffle mode.

The very nature of gapless requires tracks to be played in order - and the ablum to be recorded gapless. Gapless is basically a single seamless album - never stopping. One track flows in the other.

Of course it won't work on shuffle. Its not supposed to.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #2,141 of 3,610
The very nature of gapless requires tracks to be played in order - and the ablum to be recorded gapless. Gapless is basically a single seamless album - never stopping. One track flows in the other.

Of course it won't work on shuffle. Its not supposed to.

I'm starting to wonder if some aren't perhaps confusing gapless with crossfade.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #2,142 of 3,610

Agree. I see so many people complain about gapless - and TBH I have only about a dozen gapless albums out of around 500+. True gapless albums are rarer than people think. I also wonder if half the people complaining about gapless functionality even know what it actually is .... ?

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #2,143 of 3,610

I was thinking the same thing, and doesn't apple do something with files on iTunes to make them gapless? It's been so long since I've used iTunes. Anyways on most stuff the gaps are very small.

I've got a couple of old mp3 albums that probably got messed up by the ripping process or were just not recorded good that have extremely jarring transitions between some tracks. But most are very smooth.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #2,145 of 3,610
hello hello, just got my M6 today, loved everything so far, with the exception of the occasional audio glitches once in a while in the beginning of some songs when i skip to a new song, sometimes. Otherwise, it's a wonderful little DAP.

any chance this can be addressed in a firmware update? it would mean a lot (really, it would basically turn this DAP from really great to super awesome).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back