[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,191 of 3,610
I'm more of a "just test the concept" guy so I hadn't really used my own Pulsar apk but last night I did and it does work wonderfully, at least for the few songs I played. I mean, to be honest I've not used FiiO music a lot, I've been a Spotify/Tidal guy mostly.
But at least crossfading did work very well (had to try that thing everybody mentions here) and the sound was fantastic too (I used an amp)

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #2,192 of 3,610
I don't think there's people against a more extensive whitelisting.. I am myself a cautious programmer and I know things can cause disturbance in a system, so I'm all for testing first. I think that's wise. But anyway, we can have quite a few more apps in there, at least the free ones. The paid ones make no sense, there's no Google Services..

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #2,193 of 3,610
Sadly both at FiiO and amongst some Head-fiers there are some very conservative voices who put a brake on any additions to the whitelist. In the UK we have the word 'Nause' to describe them. They always get in the way. Sad but true. Thankfully we have a good guy on this thread who has tested some apps that work. With the right attitude from FiiO there could certainly be some alternative apps that work.

Not sure Ive seen any of the blocking of the idea of whitelisting, The opposite from users, for sure? Definitely no public interest to do so from Fiio, despite the "will pass it to the engineers for considering". I am overall OK with the Fiio app apart from the search function which I really hope will be fixed in next build. I'd love to see the chance to use the other fiio music app also on the M6 simply to get 3 column scrolling.

I can heartily understand people who want to whitelist 3rd party apps, but I can also understand fiio's stance as once you open pandora's box where does it end?

Hope that doesn't make me a "nause" haha...

How do you pronounce that, like "Mouse"?? it's the only colloquialism i can think of in UK-English, but i've been out of the UK for last 15 years... i'm losing it! Lol - need to watch more soaps. Haha

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #2,194 of 3,610
Not sure Ive seen any of the blocking of the idea of whitelisting, The opposite from users, for sure? Definitely no public interest to do so from Fiio, despite the "will pass it to the engineers for considering". I am overall OK with the Fiio app apart from the search function which I really hope will be fixed in next build. I'd love to see the chance to use the other fiio music app also on the M6 simply to get 3 column scrolling.

I can heartily understand people who want to whitelist 3rd party apps, but I can also understand fiio's stance as once you open pandora's box where does it end?

Hope that doesn't make me a "nause" haha...

How do you pronounce that, like "Mouse"?? it's the only colloquialism i can think of in UK-English, but i've been out of the UK for last 15 years... i'm losing it! Lol - need to watch more soaps. Haha

Over the past few months on both the M6 and M9 threads numerous Head-fiers have requested a podcast app, and a player for audible or spoken books and an alternative music player. Because it is entirely possible to actualise that and make people happy I totally support it. Personally I will not use them except maybe an alternative music player. I support others and not just 'me, me, me'. So I will vocalise for what is fair and right and possible. When FiiO recently included ES File Explorer or the World Radio App, neither of those " "opened Pandora's box" and nor would adding a minimal amount of oft requested apps. While we jest that is fine, but in my Buddhist practice others are as least as important as oneself and therefore nothing is stopping FiiO adding some apps that are totally possible and will make customers/head-fiers very happy. We all know that is possible. Giving is the best thing in the world....eh @FiiO.
Regards
Steve

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #2,195 of 3,610
well, that is entirely up to @FiiO if they want to do that. My only concern is also the search function and that audio glitch issue. If fiio can fix that, I am a happy customer.

Edit: Trying to enjoy the M6 is rather tough. The audio glitch is driving me nuts; I know that it only happens when navigating from one song to another, but it just ruins the immersion everytime it happens! I have never had this kind of issue before with any other devices, including phones! Cheap, old phones!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #2,196 of 3,610
Gets quite tough to tell when you volume match and fast swap. Basically I lined up the Cayin N5ii, FiiO M6, M9, X5iii and X7ii (with new AM3D module). Headphones used were the HD630VB.

N5ii is noticeably leaner and brighter.
M6 and M9 both sound similar and I'd suggest the K3 would sit right between the two of them - but we're talking fractions. The M6 seems slightly warmer than the M9 (if that makes a difference)
X5iii is marginally warmer again (still remains my favourite FiiO)
The X7ii is also very close - and really sounds spectacular with the AM3D - very similar tonally, just another level of refinement (think velvet)

interesting note about about X5iii, would you its still good option to pick up today?!

Apr 21, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,197 of 3,610
interesting note about about X5iii, would you its still good option to pick up today?!

It does everything I want, and with the added tweaking of jkhuba's kernel (which speeds things up quite a bit), it meets my needs quite well. Mind you, for portable I'm only driving IE, or easy to drive portables. I do have X7ii + AM3C for my HD800S, and also have a L&P LP5 Gold. But for IEMs, I really rate the X5iii. Some may find it a little warm, and without the kernel tweak, it can be a bit slow.

To be fair - there are probably better options today. M9 is one - as long as you are OK with a more limited app list.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #2,198 of 3,610
Hi all,

I have a brand new FiiO M6 and I’m having a lot of issues with it. I guess I’m trying to narrow down if I have a defective unit or if this is just kind of how things roll. I don’t expect a lot out of a $150 DAP running android, but I feel like there are a few things that just aren’t working how they should.

I only use the DAP with Spotify.

1. (major issue) Holding down the volume buttons to skip/rewind tracks just doesn’t work. Most of the time, if I hold it down for a second or two, it *tries* to goes back 20-30 tracks, which freezes up the device because it does it one by one. At best it will go back two or three tracks. If this is a common problem, it’s a dealbreaker.
2. As a bluetooth receiver, I can’t get it to use anything other than SBC, and even using SBC it skips like crazy, even sitting right next to the source device with no interference. It basically means that the BT receiver portion of this device is not usable. I don't *need* this to work but I would like it to.
3. All but one of the wifi networks that I frequent fail to connect. Thankfully the one that connects is the one I’m at the most, but even that one gives trouble sometimes. My phone is right there connected to the wifi networks so I know they are okay.

Another one I had is a ~2 second audio delay when using the device as a USB DAC. I did not list this above because I’ve seen it cited as a common problem on the M6 and M9. I also don't care about this issue that much.

Has anyone else run into these problems? If so, did you find a fix? Think my unit is defective and I should try to exchange this for another?

Thanks for your time!

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #2,199 of 3,610
If anyone’s is interested in the M6 black leather case, PM me. I’m willing to sell it for cheap if you’re in the USA. I just received it but already returned the M6. It’ll cost me more to return ship than it’s worth.

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #2,200 of 3,610
well, that is entirely up to @FiiO if they want to do that. My only concern is also the search function and that audio glitch issue. If fiio can fix that, I am a happy customer.

Edit: Trying to enjoy the M6 is rather tough. The audio glitch is driving me nuts; I know that it only happens when navigating from one song to another, but it just ruins the immersion everytime it happens! I have never had this kind of issue before with any other devices, including phones! Cheap, old phones!

Since upgrading from a Sandisk Ultra 128 GB card to a Samsung 256 GB EVO plus card I have yet to experience the glitch. This is with about 40 hours of use on the new card. Not sure why the EVO works better as my Sandisk card was on a few months old. I am wondering if the M11 has the same glitch, with it's more powerful chip and more RAM? If it is related to the 7270 chip and lack of RAM then I doubt there is much Fiio can do about it though upgrading the card seems to have helped it will be interesting to see if the glitch comes back over time.

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #2,201 of 3,610
Since upgrading from a Sandisk Ultra 128 GB card to a Samsung 256 GB EVO plus card I have yet to experience the glitch. This is with about 40 hours of use on the new card. Not sure why the EVO works better as my Sandisk card was on a few months old. I am wondering if the M11 has the same glitch, with it's more powerful chip and more RAM? If it is related to the 7270 chip and lack of RAM then I doubt there is much Fiio can do about it though upgrading the card seems to have helped it will be interesting to see if the glitch comes back over time.

hmm, interesting. I have recently bought a kingston 256gb memory card, and it's essentially brand new. Could formatting it help? I am trying it now as we speak, along with a fresh reset for the M6 (yet again)

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,202 of 3,610
hmm, interesting. I have recently bought a kingston 256gb memory card, and it's essentially brand new. Could formatting it help? I am trying it now as we speak, along with a fresh reset for the M6 (yet again)

I considered getting a Kingston 256 GB from Costco but went with the Samsung EVO as it has higher read and write speeds than the Kingston according to reviews I read. I suspect the speed of the EVO card plays a part in the elimination of the glitch. I am also wondering if using a Samsung microsd card with the Samsung Exynos chip in the M series DAP's may optimize performance somehow? Might be wishful thinking on my part.

Formatting and reloading your library may help but microsd cards don't generally have an issue with fragmentation. You could also try doing a hardware reset on the M6 to clean things up

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #2,203 of 3,610
I considered getting a Kingston 256 GB from Costco but went with the Samsung EVO as it has higher read and write speeds than the Kingston according to reviews I read. I suspect the speed of the EVO card plays a part in the elimination of the glitch. I am also wondering if using a Samsung microsd card with the Samsung Exynos chip in the M series DAP's may optimize performance somehow? Might be wishful thinking on my part.

Formatting and reloading your library may help but microsd cards don't generally have an issue with fragmentation. You could also try doing a hardware reset on the M6 to clean things up
how am i supposed to do a hardware reset? i think that would help.

Edit: So I have tried putting some songs in the internal storage, and tried skipping from one song to another, also stuttered. this is definitely not to do with memory card reads

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #2,204 of 3,610
how am i supposed to do a hardware reset? i think that would help.

I guess it would be factory reset as I can't find any reference for a hardware reset and I think you tried that already. I guess you could try another card to see if that helps, it seems the faster the card the less this is a problem at least this was true in my case.

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #2,205 of 3,610
Hi all, I recently bought the M6 and thought I'd jump in with some questions for you veterans...

-First up, for those of you with AirPods, how do you pair them with the M6? Other bt devices seem simple enough, but I can't get my AirPods linked.

-I'm using a 256gb card with lots of music... I noticed that album scrolling is not smooth. Could this be related to art & number of albums? And/or is the stutter an artifact of the limited hardware?

-Can entire albums be added to playlist? Or only songs?

-And if only songs can be added, what are some of the album organizing strategies you all use?

-For albums missing art work, does the jpeg file need to be named anything in particular?

-What’s the difference between idle power off & sleep?

Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back