[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Apr 5, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,996 of 3,610
i suspect the issue I was having with Spotify constantly re-downloading my library was in fact related to the number of offline devices on my account. I checked and the M6 was listed 4 times. I deleted 3 iterations and i think the issue is gone...

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #1,997 of 3,610
Got the M6 a week ago and I need to update the firmware and troubleshoot further. I really like the look of the screen and the general features, but the UI is a bit clunky to navigate and some of the bugs I've encountered are really frustrating. At this point my biggest concerns are:

- When playing all of my music on shuffle the player stops playing after every song; when one song finishes it goes to the next and immediately pauses. When I set the playback to gapless the player will play a half a second of the second song before pausing. In all cases I have to hit the play button to keep going. This is bizarre and frustrating to say the least.

- When playing music to an external DAC the auto power down still occurs as if no music is playing. For example if the auto idle power down or sleep is set to 10 minutes, the player will always shut down exactly 10 minutes after you start playing music through an external DAC. Due to this I had to disable all auto sleep/power functions.

- The UI could use some additional gestures to quickly navigate. It would be nice if swiping right would go back a screen no matter where you are, and a long hold on the screen should take you back to the home or music menu. It would also be nice to be able to reprogram the 3 physical buttons with long press or double/triple click functions.

Other than those issues the player seems nice. For the price it is feature loaded and the sound quality is decent. For now I'm going to keep troubleshooting, and if the first 2 issues above aren't resolved I'll stick with other DAPs that are a little more stable. I'll keep checking back on this DAP with each firmware update to see if it's improved though, as it has a lot of potential to be fantastic for the price.

Apr 6, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,998 of 3,610
I guess I am not most of you, I had a chance to try an M6 recently and call me crazy but I prefer the M7. I prefer the warmer tuning of the M7, to me it does sound better. I also prefer the look and feel of the M7 which to me feels more solid and looks like a real DAP and not a mini smartphone like the M6. Again don't need or want wifi as I have a smartphone for the rare times I need streaming. From the sounds of it the M6 isn't perfect for streaming by any means anyway. Making very good use of the extra battery life as well and it powers my headphones with plenty of juice left. Considering the M7 was priced about $50.00 higher than the M6 getting it for less is a great deal no matter how you slice it. I don't begrudge you guys your M6 but the M7 is just a better fit for my needs especially for the price I paid.

Not sure what you are talking about the M7 most definitely has bluetooth and it supports all the same bluetooth codecs as the M6. Bluetooth works great actually with great range and stability at least for me.

DAP's are not one size fits all, otherwise there wouldn't be some many on the market. For me sound quality is still most important and I prefer the sound of the M7 and no one will convince me I made a bad choice.
Dear Fish, I recall your first messages, you were stating that you received a damaged m6 and probably considering if you should wait for replacement (m6 was out of stock for a while), but you preferred to get m7 instead. If I were you I would wait but anyways you returned m6 and got m7. Now I undestand that you try to justify your decision but we got your point Fish just be happy with your m7 but honestly m6, which you didn’t have chance to try is a better dap and there is no reason to promote m7.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,999 of 3,610
I just hate fiio music app, I hope they improve it with future firmware updates: searching is horrible, browsing with a large collection is horrible and I miss a year category, so if I want to listen to albums from 2019 I don't have to search them. Seriously considering selling it and getting Shanling M2X or Hiby R3 (or even waiting for new Hiby mid-tier dap).

By the way, I've been reading in this thread complains about the lagging and slow response of M6 due to few ram, processor, etc. I dont really feel like is that much of an issue, but has anyone compared it with ingenic x1000 daps like AP80 or hiby r3?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #2,000 of 3,610
I just hate fiio music app, I hope they improve it with future firmware updates: searching is horrible, browsing with a large collection is horrible and I miss a year category, so if I want to listen to albums from 2019 I don't have to search them. Seriously considering selling it and getting Shanling M2X or Hiby R3 (or even waiting for new Hiby mid-tier dap).

By the way, I've been reading in this thread complains about the lagging and slow response of M6 due to few ram, processor, etc. I dont really feel like is that much of an issue, but has anyone compared it with ingenic x1000 daps like AP80 or hiby r3?

It's slow compared to AP80 which I owned up until yesterday. Just sold it. Great little device but just to little for me.

The m6 is ridiculously slow compared to my 4 year old pioneer Android dap. Not the end of the world though. I've accepted it and can deal with it. It's not really functional when trying to download music from spotify and playing music at same thing though

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #2,001 of 3,610
Dear Fish, I recall your first messages, you were stating that you received m6 with a non-sealed package and deeply suspecting that if it was used or not and if you should return. Wrong decision man, no one gave you a satisfying response to your package query I know but anyways you returned m6 and got m7. Now I undestand that you try to justify your decision but we got your point Fish just be happy with your m7 since it is shipped with perfect package.

Wrong person, try again.

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #2,002 of 3,610

Um the m6 UI isn't slow at all, in fact it's quite snappy and operationally loads better than ap80 and on par with the R3, - I've had all of them. The only time m6 lags for me is if I'm streaming and using bluetooth simultaneously and it's not horrible.

Tidal and spotify don't run perfectly, but tidal also stuttered when I had R3. Spotify for me personally runs smooth enough with the latest version. Really can't compare it with AP80 and R3 since neither uses android and ap80 has no wifi, but just on UI and general use m6 doesn't lag at all.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #2,003 of 3,610
I had a new issue with Spotify when I fired up my M6 this morning. This time, it asked me to log in to Spotify for some reason, then when I tried to it kept saying "we're experiencing issues at this time try again later." Spotify was up and running fine on all my other devices so not an issue there. I ended up un-installing Spotify and re-installing it except this time from the on-board memory (I had installed it from the SD card previously). It then allowed me to log in and I re-downloaded my library AGAIN. I think maybe the M6 is finicky about SD cards...

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #2,004 of 3,610
Um the m6 UI isn't slow at all, in fact it's quite snappy and operationally loads better than ap80 and on par with the R3, - I've had all of them. The only time m6 lags for me is if I'm streaming and using bluetooth simultaneously and it's not horrible.

Tidal and spotify don't run perfectly, but tidal also stuttered when I had R3. Spotify for me personally runs smooth enough with the latest version. Really can't compare it with AP80 and R3 since neither uses android and ap80 has no wifi, but just on UI and general use m6 doesn't lag at all.
I agree with this. The M6 is not slow at all. There is a little delay for me when opening Spotify but it's only a few seconds and after that, it's smooth sailing. I like the FiiO music app but I have to agree that the search function sucks. :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #2,005 of 3,610
I agree with this. The M6 is not slow at all. There is a little delay for me when opening Spotify but it's only a few seconds and after that, it's smooth sailing. I like the FiiO music app but I have to agree that the search function sucks. :)

I would prefer hiby music or uapp myself but I don't see that happening unless this thing gets rooted.

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #2,007 of 3,610
@FiiO can we get saved EQ profiles for different headphones? This is my favorite feature of the Pioneer XDP-300R music player app

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,009 of 3,610

I wiil add my voice too. The M6 runs at a satisfactory speed for me and sounds very good indeed. As a piece of hardware it is quite special in many ways. Where FiiO are letting the customers down though is through a lack of just a few resource friendly white-listed apps, which do actually exist. The fact that many head-fiers have asked Fiio for audio-book, podcast, and casting software and FiiO have ignored this, I find very sad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back