[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 18, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,276 of 3,610
Im using the M6 with the FH5 too, and find the pairing superb. I think, unless something grates specifically, try and let your brain accustom itself to the tonality. Otherwise you could shop around further for Iems. In all honesty, I can't hear anything deleterious with the M6 after directly listening to my Chord Mojo, maybe a bit sharper/more forward in the midrange with the M6; and the Mojo is much lauded for its natural timbre. Both sound super. Have you specifically compared it with something more "advanced"? Or is it just a feeling you have? As i write this I am switching back and forth between the M6 alone and as transport for Mojo, and as I say, both sound great (with the FH5's)
Hi Salla45, thank you for your effort in looking to see if my claims were true. In response to your question: indeed; it’s just a feeling I have; tracks i’ve been listening to for more than a decade just seemed to sound a little different. As a consequence of reading your post earlier this morning I did some critical listening as the day went by and I must apologize for my false claim. The treble here is so clear and extended, to my subconscious mind it just sounded unnatural. I’m not used to my music being so clear and detailed. It’s a unique sound and it takes some getting used to. It’s truly lovely. Thank you.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,277 of 3,610
does anyone have a problem of internal memory getting full? happened twice already, did a factory reset, had 1.8 Gb free internal memory. after an hour of using 0 Mb is available and worning about insufficient memory pops up. only using FIIO app and Spotify (with storage set to SD card).
Thanks!

I have had to clear the Spotify cache a couple of times. The internal 2gb ram filled up quickly. Maybe also use the cleaner in ES File explorer.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #1,278 of 3,610
Well you could try the EQ, but I don’t like the way it muffles the sound- basically neutering it. Or we can hope Fiio will add a better EQ or dsp suite. Or as salla45 said you can get used to it - it is very nice sounding.

I do have one more suggestion, spend a 100 more and get the EarStudio ES100 Bluetooth amp, it has a nicer sound stage and an iPod/Android companion app with a very good Eq and dac settings that can really make a huge difference. It also has a balanced out that sounds even better. Paired with the m6 it is one of the best sources I’ve heard.
Thank you for your response abitdeef. Just like you I found the Eq to be of no use. Unfortunately, I go running with my set up so i can’t add a Bluetooth device. Hopefully I would get used to this level of clarity.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #1,279 of 3,610
Well I plan to do a thorough comparison once I have both units so the M6 is not a forgone conclusion. One thing I want to check is the battery life of the M6 as the current owner is not happy with it. For the deal I am getting on the M6 I could even sell it and make a profit so it is a minimal risk for me. Don't get me wrong I have had the M0 for what like 7 months now and there is alot I like about it for sure including the sound quality. The M6 has features I don't need and yes I have read the M6 thread thoroughly. It isn't perfect for sure and has some bugs still to work out.

The M0 except for a one time glitch charging it has been very stable and reliable. I gave up on Fiio DAP's a few years ago because stable and reliable they were not. The M6 is me giving them another shot so I will be torture testing it thoroughly for sure. If it isn't my cup of tea I could see selling it and waiting on the next Shanling DAP and enjoying my M0 until then and living with the small screen. Still some long term decisions to be made. I am intrigued by the possibilities that might still to come for the M0 with future firmware updates including my coveted replaygain. So I am torn between waiting on M0 future updates and jumping to the M6, the one thing Shanling can't update with firmware is the small screen.
Thank you for your response abitdeef. Just like you I found the Eq to be of no use. Unfortunately, I go running with my set up so i can’t add a Bluetooth device. Hopefully I would get used to this level of clarity.

NP, :) there are daps that have even more treble extension and detail, I think m6 has a pretty good balanced sound, and actually has a nice touch of warmth and musicality in it’s sound signature, but nice energetic treble.

Kind of like a Goldilocks sound.

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #1,280 of 3,610
A word or two about the M6.....and M9 as an LDAC Bluetooth receiver. There are a lot of fans of the Radsone ES100 out there. Part of that is obviously that it is a superb piece of equipment, but also the very nature of LDAC itself is unique. I at last managed to get the M6 and M9 to become Bluetooth Sink/Receivers in LDAC connected to my Samsung S9 plus. There's no particular reason to do that because I could listen to the M6/M9 directly wired without the S9 plus. But I wanted to test them out with LDAC. Unlike APTX and APTX-HD there is an unusual spaciousness about LDAC and no loss of very fine highs. Almost an improvement in sound. It's a little bizarre but it adds something quite positive to the musical experience. All this is why this little M6 and M9 are special. Not many others DAPs can receive in LDAC, even expensive DAPs. I just hope some lower priced LDAC IEMs start to arrive so I can transmit to them too.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #1,281 of 3,610
A word or two about the M6.....and M9 as an LDAC Bluetooth receiver. There are a lot of fans of the Radsone ES100 out there. Part of that is obviously that it is a superb piece of equipment, but also the very nature of LDAC itself is unique. I at last managed to get the M6 and M9 to become Bluetooth Sink/Receivers in LDAC connected to my Samsung S9 plus. There's no particular reason to do that because I could listen to the M6/M9 wired. But I wanted to test them out with LDAC. Unlike APTX and APTX-HD there is an unusual spaciousness about LDAC and no loss of very fine highs. Almost an improvement in sound. It's a little bizarre but it adds something quite positive to the musical experience. All this is why this little M6and M9 are special. Not many others DAPs can receive in LDAC, even expensive DAPs. I just hope some lower priced LDAC IEMs start to arrive so I can transmit to them too.

LDAC is a really good Bluetooth codec. I was actually looking for good wireless iems (just for active use) when someone suggested the Radsone so I could use my own iems.

I clip the tiny brick to my collar and just wrap the wire around my neck once so the cord is out of the way. I put on an album, or Spotify and stick the m6 in my pocket or just lay it down. I didn’t expect it to sound as good as it did. It is nice not having wires going from my neck to my pants pocket that can get snagged on stuff. Yep LDAC is just like listening wired to me, even better.

And it is very cool that you can use the m6 as an LDAC reciever also. And of course there is the Fiio app to control your m6 from your smartphone. A myriad of possibilities exist. Oh, and also I’d like to see more LDAC iems.

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #1,282 of 3,610
DLNA works on this tiny little device!! I am thrilled. I sometimes am finding a few tracks sound splashy but i guess i need to give it more time to settle down.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,283 of 3,610
What Fiio are you talking about? I had x3 and x3ii and they were very stable. And as far as battery life I’m getting anywhere from 8 to 12 hours, depending on if I’m streaming a lot and that’s with a lot of hi res. I get about 12 if I’m using ES100.

It’s better than M0 and AP80 in battery life for me- it was a little worse when I first got it but after several charging cycles it’s improved.

And I wouldn’t worry to much, we’re talking about sub 200.00 daps here. Just buy it from Amazon and if you don’t like it - which I wouldn’t see why, you can return it easily.

You can even fib, and say it’s defective and not even be out shipping. I don’t know what your buddy expects for a tiny dap, but only Sony with it’s D class amps have truly good battery life, oh and some cowons do to like plenue d, but to me the clarity of m6 beats the plenue easily.

Anyways it’s not something I would worry about too much :) I remember in the M0 thread you we’re leery of M0, but I told you it sounded clearer than A35 and A45, and it does .. Now you like M0, well I’m telling you m6 has that similar sound - as far as being very clear. I think you would really like it :wink:

And I know if I scour the internet I can find bad things and complaints about M0 or any other dap under the sun.

The original X1 and X3 and X1-II all of which I returned due to crashing, freeze ups and a the UI was awful to use. Kept hoping Fiio would get better which is why I gave the X1-II a shot but it was only marginally better than the X1. I followed several Fiio threads after that and none of them gave me the impression it was worth giving Fiio another shot. Especially with better options available.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #1,284 of 3,610
IMG_20190219_120749.jpg

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #1,285 of 3,610
Hi,

I was considering for long to buy a dap having at least wireless spotify streaming capability, good sound and sufficient power output level and a user friendly confirguration. I thing the new M6 on paper seems to fit my priorities.

Having said that;I will appreciate your views on the folowing:

1. Do you have any views on pairing M6 with an headphone amp for harder-to-drive headphones.

I currently have a topping nx5 portable amp. My source is 99% iphone 6 (streaming spotify premium archive) and my headphone is sennheiser hd650. Although I like the quality of the sound through my set-up, I believe that iphone 6 as my source paired with nx5 is not able to drive hd650 sufficiently and I belive that such quantitative insufficency (volume-wise) is due to the fact that iphone 6's lower power output (0,93 vrms) does not match nx5's input sensitivity (requires 1,5 vrms).

So, in short, would m6 (in replacement of iphone 6) paired with nx5 be an improvement for driving my cans?

2. Do you have any issues regarding wireless streaming capability (stream breaks etc.) of M6?. I listen mostly at home and please consider that I have speed&rangewise a good wireless connection at home and iphone 6 did not fail in wireless streaming spotify in the past except for temporary internet fails due to internet service provider.

Thanks in advance and regards,
Sipahi.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,287 of 3,610
I second the Audiobook App request! I mentioned it some pages back.... Please, if you can consider this Fiio, it would be much appreciated. I talked about Smart Audiobook Player, but there are others :) Thank you for making this great device!

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,289 of 3,610
Indeed, there's some requests that are interesting but marginal, but the Audiobook/Podcast app seems like a real no brainer, there's quite a few people asking for that and you could really add it to the advertising of the product.
I'd say, first try to work out some of the operational bugs/shortcomings that people are reporting and then go to the podcast app, I don't even think those are heavy apps either, but surely they have to test it first.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,290 of 3,610
Search got me nothing on a couple questions.

Looking to replace my X1. Slow, Buggy, and poor BT.

My use for this unit would be to bluetooth to a speaker and possibly control it with a bluetooth audio control unit at the same time.

Questions:

How is the UI?

How does it handle large databases?

Can you hook up a couple different bluetooth devises? (Speaker and remote control.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back