[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #1,246 of 3,610
I agree LDAC is in another league to even Aptx-HD and that is just streaming to HiFi, M9 LDAC to M6 LDAC, wired to Amp. I was tempted to get the ES100 but as I have both the M9 and the M6 I will try using the M9 to stream LDAC to the M6 in LDAC and hook up my Tin Audio T2's just to test the LDAC sound with earphones. I wonder if the M6 will stand up to the ES100?

I can try m6 as a reciever, but the ES100 has a balanced out that I use and it sounds absolutely fantastic, as good as my SR15 does in balanced maybe even a bit better in some ways.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #1,247 of 3,610
I can try m6 as a reciever, but the ES100 has a balanced out that I use and it sounds absolutely fantastic, as good as my SR15 does in balanced maybe even a bit better in some ways.

Yup balanced makes a big difference on the M9 too. I use the Tin Audio T2 pro with a balanced cable. As the song says 'everything's on fire' (Shriekback).

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #1,248 of 3,610
That is what I was saying to you. You need to listen to them otherwise it's just word salad. At least I've listened to them and am taking empirically rather than just talk the talk. I prefer walk the walk otherwise it's just mental mumbling.

This has been my position for over 30 years which is why I don't really take other people's advice on audio gear when it comes to how a unit sounds. I generally only take to heart posts that cover features and functionality. I have been fortunate to sell and listen to truly spectacular audio gear over the years. So my expectations are colored by that and I can tend to be overly critical. That is the main reason I never buy expensive portable audio gear, I spend the big bucks on my home setup where I get alot more bang for my buck.

Having said that I fully expect the M6 to be a good quality DAP for the money but the sound won't knock my socks off nor should I expect it to. The M0 for $140 did take me by surprise with the quality of sound it offers. If the M6 is in the same league sound wise and everything works as it should I expect to be very happy with it. At this point there probably isn't much more I can get out of this thread until I get my M6. So I will pop in once in awhile to see if there is any news on firmware updates etc.. In the meantime I hope you all enjoy your players

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #1,249 of 3,610
This has been my position for over 30 years which is why I don't really take other people's advice on audio gear when it comes to how a unit sounds. I generally only take to heart posts that cover features and functionality. I have been fortunate to sell and listen to truly spectacular audio gear over the years. So my expectations are colored by that and I can tend to be overly critical. That is the main reason I never buy expensive portable audio gear, I spend the big bucks on my home setup where I get alot more bang for my buck.

Having said that I fully expect the M6 to be a good quality DAP for the money but the sound won't knock my socks off nor should I expect it to. The M0 for $140 did take me by surprise with the quality of sound it offers. If the M6 is in the same league sound wise and everything works as it should I expect to be very happy with it. At this point there probably isn't much more I can get out of this thread until I get my M6. So I will pop in once in awhile to see if there is any news on firmware updates etc.. In the meantime I hope you all enjoy your players

Waiting for your comparison between the M6 and Shanling M0 . A friend of mine has an expensive Astell & Kern and he regrets buying it over the Shanling M2s ( it's like 10 times more expensive ) . Wonder how the Fiio M6 compares to the Shanling M0 .

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,251 of 3,610

Waiting for your comparison between the M6 and Shanling M0 . A friend of mine has an expensive Astell & Kern and he regrets buying it over the Shanling M2s ( it's like 10 times more expensive ) . Wonder how the Fiio M6 compares to the Shanling M0 .

I have both the M0 and M6 and M9 and X7ii for that matter (well, the M9 I got for my wife, but I can access it for testing :) ), oh and have the Chord Mojo and V30 cell phone also, as comparisons. And a BTR1 bluetooth DAC, and even an old X3ii which gets a look in still.

Honestly, I can't tell much apart from one to another. All are astonishingly great in terms of SQ. In listening tests, I just get confused and give up more often than not, trying to ascertain differences.

The M0 is a fine little device and entirely capable, but it's limited severely by its interface and screen. The M6 is a "real" player by comparison and little compromised. I can't for the life of me see much merit at all in going for the M9 over the M6 (other than balanced output), and I can't help feel that Fiio are probably wondering if they've shot themselves in the foot a bit by releasing the blindingly good value M6 alongside the M9.

I am now using each device for different use-cases; the Mojo for desk use, the X7ii for established "good" albums, the M6 for new albums, and the M0 for a bucketload of fave tracks for HQ random play and sterling duty as an LDAC bluetooth receiver, intermittently with the BTR. I even use the X3ii still as an MP3 player of random tracks permanently taped to a good portable speaker for quick on the go listening.

So to recap... for me at least.... All these new devices are absolutely first class in terms of SQ at least with IEM's and really it's down to use-case as to which gets used.

M0 is great, and M6 is great too, better than the M0 of course, except where the absolute portability of the M0 is king.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #1,252 of 3,610

Having said that I fully expect the M6 to be a good quality DAP for the money but the sound won't knock my socks off nor should I expect it to. The M0 for $140 did take me by surprise with the quality of sound it offers. If the M6 is in the same league sound wise and everything works as it should I expect to be very happy with it. At this point there probably isn't much more I can get out of this thread until I get my M6. So I will pop in once in awhile to see if there is any news on firmware updates etc.. In the meantime I hope you all enjoy your
Does anyone know if the M6 transmits tidal via Ldac please
Thank you

Yes it does, but there is an issue where sometimes the next song doesn’t play without pausing and hitting play again hopefully this will be rectified. But it does work (sort of) and sounds great.

Spotify doesn’t suffer this issue.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,254 of 3,610
After a couple days of using the M6, it does seem to be a fantastic little player. Only quibble is the slight lag when using Tidal/Spotify, but for all the things it does at this price, I can hardly complain!

Question for current users - when searching in the Fiio music app, does the search just automatically start playing what you press in the search results, or can you drill down into let's say an album and choose a track from there? Either I'm missing something or the search always just quick plays from results.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,255 of 3,610
Question for current users - when searching in the Fiio music app, does the search just automatically start playing what you press in the search results, or can you drill down into let's say an album and choose a track from there? Either I'm missing something or the search always just quick plays from results.

Hi Talllan, i have made the same question above, more or less, about a week ago and reiterated it, to @FiiO but they have not responded yet.

The global search is a real mess! PLEASE @FiiO advise if this is in the pipeline to be fixed?

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #1,257 of 3,610
So I'm torn between the FiiO M6, Shanling M2s and the Hidizs AP80. They are all around the Same 150€/$ Pricepoint. The HiBy R3 is 100€/$ more expensive.

I'm Listening to music and audiobooks. Is there a Bookmark Feature in either of them like in the Cowon M2?

What would be your advice? TIA!

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,258 of 3,610
Hi Talllan, i have made the same question above, more or less, about a week ago and reiterated it, to @FiiO but they have not responded yet.

The global search is a real mess! PLEASE @FiiO advise if this is in the pipeline to be fixed?

Okay so I have two quibbles then. Yes, search is not great, and if you have a lot of music on there it can be time consuming to scroll through. Hope it gets updated!

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #1,260 of 3,610
I've got an issue with Tidal where using bluetooth (to BTR3) sound mutes after one track.... waking the screen up starts the sound again, but the track has actually been playing, just muted. Other forums suggest that adding a 1s crossfade might help, but the latest version on Tidal (with MQA) has removed crossfade! Anyone else??

Just bumping this in case other people have had the same problem and found an answer or workaround?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back