[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 15, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #1,218 of 3,610
@FiiO

I have a question, is it just me or is the search on the fiio app broken?

I can't get my head around it... I type, say "Genesis" in the search box. It kindly shows me a couple of TRACKS with the word genesis in them, then the fact that there 132 tracks of the ARTIST genesis, and finally one ALBUM called genesis. If i click on the ARTIST icon (Imagining in some other logic based universe that it would go to the artist, genesis), it immediately starts playing the 132 genesis tracks. I can see all the tracks in a big "playlist" but it doesn't even mention which album they are from.

i.e. theres no flippin way to show the albums of the artist "genesis", via the search feature. What???

1stly, is this normal? 2ndly how do you work around it and why is it not clamoured for being changed in these pages? :)

BTW I've had the M6 for around 18hrs now. Lots to love. The form factor, screen and sound are great. Qobuz works OK too.

@FiiO

please can I have a response to the above?

Also ref the folder view, why is the text truncated ? And why have the folder icon taking up valuable real estate? the width should be used in its entirety to MAXIMISE the folder text. Even the play buttons for each folder is superfluous; short press to open folder, long press to play, for example.

Also in album view, it would great to see the Artist also as a subset of the information

These "little" things would make the player so great!

Or simply whitelist some 3rd party players, like UAPP for example.

upload_2019-2-15_10-18-9.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,224 of 3,610
I’ve never had a skip or a crash, Maybe try a factory reset?

No skips after doing a factory reset + changing how I was handling local music files - I had quickly thrown about 6,000 tracks in with no folder structure just to get some music on there, not sure if that contributed to the skips and crashes. Today the M6 has been working perfectly!

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,225 of 3,610
No skips after doing a factory reset + changing how I was handling local music files - I had quickly thrown about 6,000 tracks in with no folder structure just to get some music on there, not sure if that contributed to the skips and crashes. Today the M6 has been working perfectly!

I wouldn’t think so, unless it was way card was formatted or it didn’t like a particular file. Who knows, I’m glad it’s working for you though :)

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,226 of 3,610
anyone test out DNLA feature? specifically with audirvana on a mac? i'm thinking about buying this thing to replace what my KANN currently does at 1/5th of the cost.

my kann is hooked up to my home amp through the line-out and is essentially a DNLA streamer from my computer.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #1,227 of 3,610
Lol I’m a musician myself and would love to know what the ‘musician type sound is’ ?

And it sounds like you did put stock into the measurements

“The frequency response graph shows a major roll off above 10 KHz and it bottoms out at around 15 KHz. The measured frequency response is about 40 Hz to 15 Khz.

Certainly not the best I have seen. As someone in his 50's who doesn't put much stock in measurements I am not to concerned as my hearing is fairly reduced in the higher frequencies. I am aware of Fiio's tendency to roll off frequencies above 10 KHz but seeing it on a graph and how steep it is did surprise me. If I was 20 years younger I could see this being a strike against the M6 but not so much now.”

Since I am not a musician the gist I got was a more studio sound vs a more musical sound. The guy I am getting the M6 from said he found the M6 to be tuned for musicality vs accuracy and hoped the A55 was more accurate. I would say and reviews seem to agree that the M0 is also tuned to be musical more than accurate in reproducing the sound.

So the Fiio M6 and Shanling M0 I think they would classify as having a more musical tuning vs what they would call a studio sound. Honestly I go for what sounds good and don't really care what it is called. When I sold the gear it was all about the analytical but now that I am retired from the audio business I go for whatever sounds the best period.

I loved my time in St Louis, I was the official photographer for most of the bands, and sometimes a roadie. I updated their websites and spent most Friday and Saturdays nights watching them playing in the clubs. I was also the defacto blocker for the wives and girlfriends pretending to be a dating whoever was getting hit on at that point in time. :) On any given night I would appear to be dating 6 or 7 women at the same time. Sometimes when they played festivals I would jump on stage with a tamborine and jam with the band, my nickname was "The Tamborine Man"

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #1,228 of 3,610
Great!

My M6 arrived from B&H today. Ordered on Monday from the US, delivered by DHL 2 days later in Switzerland. Brilliant. Am configuring it now. Lovely little player!

Well they are on backorder now on B&H so your timing was perfect. Amazon.ca still says in stock on February 21st but it will be interesting to see what the status changes to on that date. As fast as stock is running out everywhere I would be surprised if it isn't backordered on the 21st. I am wondering just how many Fiio will be able to produce before they run out of the Exynos 7270 chips? If I wasn't getting such a great deal on the M6 from the states I would be tempted to wait and see what Fiio actually does at that point.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #1,229 of 3,610
Well they are on backorder now on B&H so your timing was perfect. Amazon.ca still says in stock on February 21st but it will be interesting to see what the status changes to on that date. As fast as stock is running out everywhere I would be surprised if it isn't backordered on the 21st. I am wondering just how many Fiio will be able to produce before they run out of the Exynos 7270 chips? If I wasn't getting such a great deal on the M6 from the states I would be tempted to wait and see what Fiio actually does at that point.

yeah, I have one on order from Amazon.ca and I'm waiting anxiously for the 21st...but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting a notification of shipment! lol...

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,230 of 3,610
Since I am not a musician the gist I got was a more studio sound vs a more musical sound. The guy I am getting the M6 from said he found the M6 to be tuned for musicality vs accuracy and hoped the A55 was more accurate. I would say and reviews seem to agree that the M0 is also tuned to be musical more than accurate in reproducing the sound.

So the Fiio M6 and Shanling M0 I think they would classify as having a more musical tuning vs what they would call a studio sound. Honestly I go for what sounds good and don't really care what it is called. When I sold the gear it was all about the analytical but now that I am retired from the audio business I go for whatever sounds the best period.

I loved my time in St Louis, I was the official photographer for most of the bands, and sometimes a roadie. I updated their websites and spent most Friday and Saturdays nights watching them playing in the clubs. I was also the defacto blocker for the wives and girlfriends pretending to be a dating whoever was getting hit on at that point in time. :) On any given night I would appear to be dating 6 or 7 women at the same time. Sometimes when they played festivals I would jump on stage with a tamborine and jam with the band, my nickname was "The Tamborine Man"

Cool, but unless there is a huge difference from A45 to A55 the Sony will have more coloration than the m6- m6 is quite neutral, and on the thinner sounding side, the Sony is more v shaped and a bit more exciting/musical/fuller sounding. The m6 is more linear, flatter, accurate, more neutral whatever you want to call it.

He probably will like the sound of the Sony- Most Sonys have that warmth and v shaped kind of sound- except for the wm 1A and to a lesser extent the ZX300. Oh,and the m6 sounds different from mo. :wink: Treble and bass are more in line and the mids are more present., and the stage is wider.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back