[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 24, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #826 of 3,610
Dear friend,

A user aslo mentioned the sampling rate supported using Airplay.

Currently, the Airplay M6 supports is up to 44.1k.

Best regards

Thanks. Unfortunately all files that I a using for comparisons are actually 16bit/44.1khz (and in ALAC) format
So.....
I understand that sound quality is subjective but it sounds very different. It's almost as if the music in unamped (that's the best I can do!)

As far a I know, audio over Airplay is always converted to 44,1kHz 16Bit, and all audio with higher bitrate or sample-rate is sampled down to 44,1/16. Personally I don’t have any issues with Airplay.

I use it for playing Apple Music on iPhone Airplayed directly to M6 (with wired IEMs’). Sounds pretty good (better than over bluetooth SBC anyway. A shame that the M6 doesn’t receive AAC over BT…yet?)

Are you using Airplay together with Bluetooth (iphone >Airplay >M6> BT> Headphones? Maybe the DAC / CPU can’t handle these simultaneous conversions well.

Yeah I can't wait until it can receive AAC (if ever!) or I just need Apple Music issues to be solved.
I'm actually also running the Airplay to wired IEMs and Heaphones when testing. I found that Airplay to M6 BT-out requires a little more testing - I am getting a lot of skipping in LDAC mode - I suspect that this is a signal interference issue with Airplay or also could also be the CPU....

Happy to hear other people's thoughts... Although I suppose this is a good as a reason as any to sign up to Tidal Hifi

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #827 of 3,610
A little tip for those who don't know yet. If you would like to play Spotify from the FiiO M6 to your HiFi. If you have a mobile phone with Spotify and have the FiiO M6 then there is a way to use Spotify to play on your HiFi. It's called Spotify Connect but needs no other software other than Spotify itself. It will work with virtually any HiFi amp or receiver. There is one thing you will need and that is a USB C cable to RCA connectors. Here is a link for the UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DDG95KQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Just plug the USB C into your M6 and the RCA ends into your amp making sure red and white are correct. Open Spotify on your M6 and open Spotify on your phone and under devices on Spotify you will find M6 and 'this phone'. Link your phone to the FiiO M6 and then you can use your mobile phone as a remote control. Sounds exeptional with Spotify's 320kbps OGG files. Way better than Bluetooth. As far as I know volume will be from the amp. I actually use the M6 as a remote to the M9 which is connected to my amplifier with the said cable. A pretty cheap way to have another dimension of music from Spotify and the M6. Both the phone and M9 must be on the same WiFi network.

Cool I was expecting Phone+Connect to work (but you did test it, great), planning on using it with my old (classic!) Marantz amps. What *I hadn't realized* is that you can use the USB output (I was planning to use the normal line out). Did you notice any difference? I like that cable though (heck, new combination for me!), as an adapters-junkie i'll sure go for it :D

By the way did you compare the output to using the normal line out? Any difference?

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #828 of 3,610
Cool I was expecting Phone+Connect to work (but you did test it, great), planning on using it with my old (classic!) Marantz amps. What *I hadn't realized* is that you can use the USB output (I was planning to use the normal line out). Did you notice any difference? I like that cable though (heck, new combination for me!), as an adapters-junkie i'll sure go for it :D

By the way did you compare the output to using the normal line out? Any difference?

Haven't used the line out. It sounded good using the USB C to RCA so I've stuck with this method. I like the direct signal from the M6/M9 into my amp. I was previously using a aptx-hd bluetooth receiver and it is good but not up to wifi or particularly to the direct connection of theM6/M9 to an amp. I hope the USB C on the iPhone does the same thing as on my Android and outputs the same way.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #829 of 3,610
Haven't used the line out. It sounded good using the USB C to RCA so I've stuck with this method. I like the direct signal from the M6/M9 into my amp. I was previously using a aptx-hd bluetooth receiver and it is good but not up to wifi or particularly to the direct connection of theM6/M9 to an amp. I hope the USB C on the iPhone does the same thing as on my Android and outputs the same way.

Yeah I discover a new thing everyday. I thought an USB output required a DAC in the middle, since the USB would output digital sound. So it would be USB output -> DAC -> analog to RCA cable.
(in fact I was planing to put a Q1 DAC I have lying around to check that output, and then hook on to the receiver). But a direct USB output of course it's way more simple.

I'll investigate how this cable works, most intriguing.

USB Sound output in Phones is more complicated in general. In Android it all goes down to what phone you have (in the Nexus 6P it worked fine for me, in my Moto G5 now, with old USB, it doesn't)
Oh yeah, iPhones now have USB C right? Must be the latest? That was a great move, I bet it should work, since there's not the multi-brand problem in Android.

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #830 of 3,610
Yeah I discover a new thing everyday. I thought an USB output required a DAC in the middle, since the USB would output digital sound. So it would be USB output -> DAC -> analog to RCA cable.
(in fact I was planing to put a Q1 DAC I have lying around to check that output, and then hook on to the receiver). But a direct USB output of course it's way more simple.

I'll investigate how this cable works, most intriguing.

USB Sound output in Phones is more complicated in general. In Android it all goes down to what phone you have (in the Nexus 6P it worked fine for me, in my Moto G5 now, with old USB, it doesn't)
Oh yeah, iPhones now have USB C right? Must be the latest? That was a great move, I bet it should work, since there's not the multi-brand problem in Android.

I'm not sure if new iPhones still use lightning cables actually. Was talk of change. My iPad mini is lightning though and I don't know if a lightning to RCA is available or if it it would do anything. Thank heavens for Android.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #832 of 3,610
The Exynos7270 is not a very powerful Soc, and also has only build in 768M RAM and 2G ROM . also it is only A 2 A53 core so it can't support all APP as most smartphone.

So, I was just checking the Whitelist, there is no Google Play Music on there. I get that it's not a powerful chip, but have you considered allowing Wear OS apps? GPM works on watches, so the watch SoC should work just fine with it.

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #837 of 3,610
my comparison of all M-series DAPs for those who interested in M6 vs M9

Thanks Cleg for the comparisons. I have recently got the M6 and have had the M9 for some months now. Both are excellent for the cost. You are right the M9 is a noticeable upgrade in sound, but the the M6 holds it's own and sounds really good and typifies the Sabre ES9018. Battery life is better on the M9. The M9 has, to me, a very sophisticated sound, always involving, and I can listen for hours. Great little DAP. Both are way, way ahead soundwise to my older Fiio X3 ii and Fiio X1. Both just great value for money. Hooray for Android. Well done FiiO.

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #838 of 3,610
James@FiiO

Hi James

I don't know if you are aware but the version of es file explorer on the FiiO M6 actually supports casting. So it 'finds' my Arcam streaming Airdac and I can play my music library on the M6 to my HiFi wirelessly. So the M6 can do it. It is possible. I assume the M9 could do it too. Sadly the sound quality, implementation and functionality of the music side of the es file explorer app is poor. It is not the app's prime focus or job. But my point is that the M6 can cast. Why not build in casting into the Fiio music app? You have DLNA, so why not casting? Samsung's own music app supports casting quite well so there is a good chance that their processor the Exynos 7270 could support casting capability. As I mentioned the es file explorer in the M6 version supports casting, but poorly. I hope you will investigate this James. Both the M6 and M9 are great little DAP's, well done.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #839 of 3,610
@FiiO, today finally my M6 arrived.
It's really a little beast. Superb value for the price.
Thank you for making such a great product.

Anyway I want to ask 2 questions:
1) I have some SACD iso files.
I tried to copy them to the SD Card.
The problem is FiiO Music app can detect some of them and add them to the library but fails to detect some iso files too.
Is there any limitation on playing iso files? Maybe max file size allowed or something else?
The SACD/iso files that I have are equal to DSD64 only so it should be playable based on your specs but some aren't detected.

2) Also I want to report something - maybe a bug or something - hopefully you can help.
Issue: Suddenly the internal storage becomes full (2 GB internal storage suddenly filled up)
I tried to turn off and turn it on again but it remained full.
I only installed ES explorer and then after playing some songs via Tidal (already directed download destination to SD Card), the internal memory becomes full.
I used ES explorer to scan internal storage but the large portion of it was only stated as others (grey color) (size: 1.78 GB).
I tried to look around to delete any big file on internal storage but could not find it (already turned on hidden & system files toggle too).
So I was forced to factory reset the M6.
Now I haven't installed ES Explorer or other apps yet. Internal storage is at 724MB now.
Any idea what may have caused the internal storage suddenly became full?

Thank you.

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #840 of 3,610
James@FiiO

Hi James

I don't know if you are aware but the version of es file explorer on the FiiO M6 actually supports casting. So it 'finds' my Arcam streaming Airdac and I can play my music library on the M6 to my HiFi wirelessly. So the M6 can do it. It is possible. I assume the M9 could do it too. Sadly the sound quality, implementation and functionality of the music side of the es file explorer app is poor. It is not the app's prime focus or job. But my point is that the M6 can cast. Why not build in casting into the Fiio music app? You have DLNA, so why not casting? Samsung's own music app supports casting quite well so there is a good chance that their processor the Exynos 7270 could support casting capability. As I mentioned the es file explorer in the M6 version supports casting, but poorly. I hope you will investigate this James. Both the M6 and M9 are great little DAP's, well done.

Yes, we will add this feature in future if we have time, but we have to take time for other DAP includes X5III/X7/X7II and we have limited resource to do so many work at the same time.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back