[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #811 of 3,610
Going to try getting Spotify on it later. Do you copy the installation file onto internal or SD storage
Good question. I read somewhere that you should install it to internal for better performance..

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #812 of 3,610
Jan 23, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #813 of 3,610
APk file?
Yep but not sure how it does work in practice, as I don't have the M6 yet :D
I don't know how you can choose the destination to install the app, but yeah what I'd do is to upload it to internal and install from there via the File Manager.

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #814 of 3,610
About Spotify, just get the APK file from somewhere like pureapk and put in on the player memory somewhere (I put mine in downloads) then you can access it through file manager to install.

Just click on apk to start the process.

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #815 of 3,610
A few pages back fiio linked me to the APK

I downloaded es file explorer and Spotify APK for the M6
Had to grab some windows drivers first but was easy and all in simple instructions

Downloaded APK to M6 storage not sd card and installed by the already installed file explorer app

Took about 10 mins in total

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #818 of 3,610
Airplay issues
I've just bought the M6 a couple of days ago. Mainly got it so I could Airplay Iphone -> M6 -> LDAC/Aptx Headphones
However can someone please confirm that there are some serious compression happening with Airplay?! Is this compression on the iPhone side or the Fiio side??

Test case. I have the same ALAC files stored on an iPhone XS and the FIIO M6.
Headphones connected wired to the M6.
When I play from the M6 the songs sounds crystal clear with a fairly large soundstage (tested using SYML's Mr Sandmand and a few Vallis Alps songs - Run, Young)
ALAC files played from iPhone and Airplay'd to the M6 sounds awful. Soundstage is like a cheap headphone and definite compressed frequency (SYML Sandman really shows this)
Played the same songs with TIDAL Hifi (on a free trial) sounds great - pretty much like straight from the M6

This confuses me. In fact the airplay sounds worse than the BT-in SBC from the iPhone > M6. I thought Airplay doesn't have any compression (it essentially uses ALAC).
To be honest most of my wireless kit supports AAC (like BTR3) which sounds waaaay better than the current Airplay - and is more convenient....

This is a huge disappointment for me. I could have lived without Apple Music App (or until the issue is fixed) if there was the Airplay option but this pretty boxes me in to using TIDAL or FLAC files stored locally.

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #819 of 3,610
To get the device online at work i need to push the device to a log in screen as I need to input a username and password. Anybody know how to do this?

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #821 of 3,610
@gazzington would that be if you were connecting to something like BT-Wifi-WithFon - if the case i am fairly certain the M6 cannot do that / push to a web page type log in
yeah like BT-Wifi-WithFon. Damn means no spotify streaming at work for me. I downloaded spotify songs off line last night, but this morning they have gone.

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #822 of 3,610
Airplay issues
I've just bought the M6 a couple of days ago. Mainly got it so I could Airplay Iphone -> M6 -> LDAC/Aptx Headphones
However can someone please confirm that there are some serious compression happening with Airplay?! Is this compression on the iPhone side or the Fiio side??

When I play from the M6 the songs sounds crystal clear with a fairly large soundstage (tested using SYML's Mr Sandmand and a few Vallis Alps songs - Run, Young)
ALAC files played from iPhone and Airplay'd to the M6 sounds awful. Soundstage is like a cheap headphone and definite compressed frequency (SYML Sandman really shows this)
Played the same songs with TIDAL Hifi (on a free trial) sounds great - pretty much like straight from the M6

This confuses me. In fact the airplay sounds worse than the BT-in SBC from the iPhone > M6. I thought Airplay doesn't have any compression (it essentially uses ALAC).
To be honest most of my wireless kit supports AAC (like BTR3) which sounds waaaay better than the current Airplay - and is more convenient....

This is a huge disappointment for me. I could have lived without Apple Music App (or until the issue is fixed) if there was the Airplay option but this pretty boxes me in to using TIDAL or FLAC files stored locally.
Dear friend,

If I beam my music from an iOS device to FiiO M6 via Airplay, can I enjoy let's say a 24/96 flac files without being downsampled?
Coz from what I know in the past Airplay only supported up to 16/44.1 (kinda confused with this tech/info. :frowning2: )

A user aslo mentioned the sampling rate supported using Airplay.

Currently, the Airplay M6 supports is up to 44.1k.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 24, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #823 of 3,610
Airplay issues

As far a I know, audio over Airplay is always converted to 44,1kHz 16Bit, and all audio with higher bitrate or sample-rate is sampled down to 44,1/16. Personally I don’t have any issues with Airplay.

I use it for playing Apple Music on iPhone Airplayed directly to M6 (with wired IEMs’). Sounds pretty good (better than over bluetooth SBC anyway. A shame that the M6 doesn’t receive AAC over BT…yet?)

Are you using Airplay together with Bluetooth (iphone >Airplay >M6> BT> Headphones? Maybe the DAC / CPU can’t handle these simultaneous conversions well.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #824 of 3,610
Apologies if this has been answered already.

Does the M6 permit downloading Tidal MQA tracks for offline playback?

I can't stream at work. Blocked and there's not enough bandwidth anyway

Dear friend,

Why yes you can! :)

Ha ha, yes you can store files off line.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #825 of 3,610
A little tip for those who don't know yet. If you would like to play Spotify from the FiiO M6 to your HiFi. If you have a mobile phone with Spotify and have the FiiO M6 then there is a way to use Spotify to play on your HiFi. It's called Spotify Connect but needs no other software other than Spotify itself. It will work with virtually any HiFi amp or receiver. There is one thing you will need and that is a USB C cable to RCA connectors. Here is a link for the UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DDG95KQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Just plug the USB C into your M6 and the RCA ends into your amp making sure red and white are correct. Open Spotify on your M6 and open Spotify on your phone and under devices on Spotify you will find M6 and 'this phone'. Link your phone to the FiiO M6 and then you can use your mobile phone as a remote control. Sounds exeptional with Spotify's 320kbps OGG files. Way better than Bluetooth. As far as I know volume will be from the amp/m6 side. I actually use the M6 as a remote to the M9 which is connected to my amplifier with the said cable. A pretty cheap way to have another dimension of music from Spotify and the M6. Both the phone and M9 must be on the same WiFi network.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back