[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #1,592 of 3,610
Mar 3, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,593 of 3,610
I'm also wondering at what they mean by "heavily modified android version" - the base is the same, they also got a ton of stuff disabled in android (many dormant apps in the firmware), but the only thing they really modified is the launcher3.apk which looks the way it does when booting up the M6. Other than that, they removed the Google framework so no PlayStore can work without flashing GApps on it. It's a bit like CynogenOS without the flashing lol

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #1,594 of 3,610
First I thought so too, but the mentions of the 7270 only show the sdk used for the kernel. The hardware says 7570. I don't get it either way - why would they use a better chipset and if not, why would they use a hardware command for an unsupported chip that clearly exists?

I just thought about it, but what has the processor to do with the ram built in? Shouldn't the rams used in the device be another chip on the board?

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/exynos/products/mobileprocessor/exynos-7-quad-7570/

Here they only mention the support of eMMC 5.0 memory. but not that it is built into it

To keep the M6 to it's size they use an all in one Exynos 7270 with 768mg onboard ram. I'm sure that in the future they will miniaturise it more. It's a chip designed primarily for wearables. The M6 is tiny for what it does, but a year in electronics is a long time.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,595 of 3,610
I have an answer to why the M6 is worldwide out of stock.

I search a couple of days now, and after looking a few things up, I think I get why.

I tried to do some stuff with the M6 over ADB, and after looking around a bit, I found out that the Exynos chip inside my (!) M6 is not the same as the Exynos Chipset that is promoted by FiiO.
The Chip that FiiO promotes is the Samsung Exynos 7270, however mine has the Samsung Exynos 7570 in it. In a statement that FiiO did (only in chinese), they told that Samsung does not produce the 7270 chipset anymore, and that FiiO first needs to find an alternative. Now I'm not sure how rare it is to get the M7, but the M7 and M6 share the same 7270 chipset.

Maybe I got some kind of new model or prototype? I ordered mine over a seller in italy who had it directly out of Guangzhou. Maybe they experiment with a new line of M6s after they saw how few got manufactured before Samsung ended it entirely.

So the 7570 is Quad core vs dual core for the 7270 and it has a built in LTE modem. Certainly a more powerful chip than the 7270 as it is intended for smartphone use vs the 7270 for wearables. If Fiio had to make this move then maybe that is why they released the M6 when they did which undercuts the M7. Not sure how much this more powerful chip affects battery life as the M7 battery life is alot longer. It would be great if Fiio would make a clear statement about this change if in fact they have made it.

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #1,596 of 3,610
Not the best picture (should have changed my phone instead of buying a DAP :D )
But says also "Hardware name: 7570 SMDK board (DT)". This is really strange..

PS: I was going to reboot anyway, in more mundane affairs, FIIO music is failing to load any song in my SD Card. Read that problem up there somewhere..

upload_2019-3-3_19-23-1.png

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #1,597 of 3,610

PS: I was going to reboot anyway, in more mundane affairs, FIIO music is failing to load any song in my SD Card. Read that problem up there somewhere..

So it’s not building a database from your micro card? How’s it formatted? Have you used it before? What size and brand?

I’ve used 3 cards in mind with no problems.

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #1,598 of 3,610

Well, in your screenshot it says "database.txt is empty, maybe you should update it..." :wink:
Have you ejected the SD card and put it back in when the device is off? FiiO Music always crashes the first time when it does a scan (a manual scan I have to force when new music is on the card), and after that the music app has renamed a bunch of files, like from Björk etc. - Guess it has an UTF8 problem, even though the OS does read / write in chinese lol

Besides that, it's interesting what we managed to see today. I hope FiiO has something to say, since they look in this thread from time to time. Maybe they see that a lot of people would like more control of their devices too...

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,599 of 3,610
Interesting find in the logs, the stuff about the 7570. I too have some references to that, and to 7270 as well. Considering that both chips are probably the same thing, with the lesser model having half its cores switched off (and other differences), then the architecture is identical. So its possible that its just a reference, similar to the way that you could get a motherboard for a Core i5, and drop a Core i3 processor into it. Its just not provable without word from Fiio.

I would not be surprised if it is the quad core model as it boots and runs extremely quickly. Then again, I would be surprised as thats not what I was sold :) Maybe they're fitting 7570 chips and the hardware is only making 2 cores available, to keep battery life the same? Or maybe we're barking up an empty tree.

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #1,600 of 3,610
So it’s not building a database from your micro card? How’s it formatted? Have you used it before? What size and brand?

I’ve used 3 cards in mind with no problems.

It's exFat. A nice Sandisk brand, 64gb. Always worked fine but.. see below.

Well, in your screenshot it says "database.txt is empty, maybe you should update it..." :wink:
Have you ejected the SD card and put it back in when the device is off? FiiO Music always crashes the first time when it does a scan (a manual scan I have to force when new music is on the card), and after that the music app has renamed a bunch of files, like from Björk etc. - Guess it has an UTF8 problem, even though the OS does read / write in chinese lol

Besides that, it's interesting what we managed to see today. I hope FiiO has something to say, since they look in this thread from time to time. Maybe they see that a lot of people would like more control of their devices too...

Jesus Christ eagles eyes huh :D (very interesting technical detail you noticed by the way) - Yeah I had reset the database hehe, on trying to scan again, I got zero songs to add. You know what fixed it? CHKDSK in windows. Good ol' chkdsk. Somehow there were lost clusters or something. Did that, re scanned and there we go.

The eject/put back thing is something i'll try the next time.. but it's definitely some buffering thing? that lost data. The player got totally drained (from full charge.. odd).

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #1,601 of 3,610
Mar 3, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,602 of 3,610
It's exFat. A nice Sandisk brand, 64gb. Always worked fine but.. see below.

Jesus Christ eagles eyes huh :D (very interesting technical detail you noticed by the way) - Yeah I had reset the database hehe, on trying to scan again, I got zero songs to add. You know what fixed it? CHKDSK in windows. Good ol' chkdsk. Somehow there were lost clusters or something. Did that, re scanned and there we go.

The eject/put back thing is something i'll try the next time.. but it's definitely some buffering thing? that lost data. The player got totally drained (from full charge.. odd).

Glad you got it sorted in the end :wink:

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #1,603 of 3,610
Question regarding Fiio Music Player playing tracks in alphabetical order.

I posted this question in M7 thread but it is very dead over there and I think this issue is with the Fiio Music Player. I updated the firmware to latest 1.0.5 and scanned all my songs into the database. When I look at the track list and play tracks they are not in proper alphabetical order. As an example I have alot of songs with "Some" as the first word or in the first word in tracks like Some, Somebody, Someday, Something etc... They all seem to be in random order under Some. So you would have a song starting with Somewhere listed before Somebody then maybe Someone and back to Somewhere etc... I was wondering if this might be a bug in the Fiio Music player or is it more likely a tagging issue?

All of these tracks play in proper order on my M0 and on my A17. I was thinking I might reformat my microsd card and reload the tracks again. Wondering if this is a new issue with latest firmware and would it be better to go to 1.0.4?

If it is a tagging issue is there a program I can use to bulk correct tagging in song batches? Not really up on tagging but I know there are several revisions and some DAP's work better with certain revisions than others.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #1,604 of 3,610
I have the Same issue but in the File Management App. Eg: All folders starting With a B are listed together. BUT they are not in the correct alphabetical Order. Very strange. The M3K has No problems With that. My 256gb Card is FAT32 formatted. Dont think EXFAT would Help here

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #1,605 of 3,610
I have the Same issue but in the File Management App. Eg: All folders starting With a B are listed together. BUT they are not in the correct alphabetical Order. Very strange. The M3K has No problems With that. My 256gb Card is FAT32 formatted. Dont think EXFAT would Help here

Just hoping Fiio will get this fixed in a firmware update at some point since it seems to be a wide spread issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back