[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,606 of 3,610
Shameless plug again for my M6.
It’s a great device but I’m just not going to get the full useage out of it.

I’ve dropped the price so it’s now 33% cheaper than new, it’s more or less mint condition - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-m6-dap.900896/#post-14815477

Once again I apologise for the shameless plug

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,608 of 3,610
Just bizarre that these things seem to be sitting in limbo in Mississauga...
Agreed. I'm not much for assumptions, but I have a feeling they never really had the stock to keep up. My Amazon delivery date is March 7th (at the latest), so while they apparently "shipped" on the 21st, I'm not sure when it will actually arrive. I may try and contact Canada Post to see what they say.

Edit: Canada Post states that sometimes things are not scanned but still making progress. I then asked that if something was not scanned, would it still take 2 weeks to arrive 45 minutes away. The support said with the weather, it was possible...obviously a canned answer. Anyways, I had the shipment flagged and monitored for updates to my inbox by Canada Post. I'll post updates if I receive them.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,610 of 3,610
I've noticed that when I'm using Tidal I can't get continuous playback of music unless I touch any botton on the M6. This happens with m6 bluetoothed to my q5 or es100.

I've can't duplicate this issue in Deezer and it doesn't happen with Fiio music

It's s only in tidal and I'm running the latest versions of apps and hardware.

FIIO HELP!?

Has anyone had this problem?
Dear friend,

Are you using the latest version Tidal APP? Some user mentioned that their issue with Tidal APP has been solved after the update: https://apkpure.com/cn/tidal-music-...videos/com.aspiro.tidal/download?from=details

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 5, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #1,611 of 3,610
I think I figured out how M series is listing tracks

Listening to more songs with "Some..." as the first word in the title I noticed a pattern. If an artist has multiple songs with in this case "Some" (Some, Somebody, Somewhere etc...) as part of the first word in the track it played all the "Some" songs in alphabetical order for that artist. Once it played all that artists "Some" songs it went to the next artist in ascending alphabetical order and played all their "Some" songs.

So it appears Fiio for some reason has the tracks listed by artist plus song title alphabetically instead of just listing all tracks in alphabetical order. Yet another strange Fiio quirk like having the side buttons logically reversed for skipping tracks. I guess it could be a good thing in a way, at least like this you won't here every song with the same song title in a row when playing all tracks straight through. But it does then make it harder to locate a single song in the list as you now have to look at the artist as well as the song title.

I also had my first lockup when my unit coughed up a furball while attempting to play the song Something To Do by Depeche Mode. This song has never given me a problem before on any of my previous DAP's. Also noticed album art for ogg files does not display, despite being in the album folder same as all my mp3 and flac files which all show album art. All album art displays fine on my M0. So the M7 seems more finicky than my M0 handling tracks and album art. Pity really because other than these quirks and hiccups it is an improvement over my M0 in pretty much every way including sound quality.

I am pleasantly surprised at the power of the M7 as I rarely need to go above 30/60 on most tracks for comfortable volume vs 60/100 typically on my M0. I would like the opportunity some day to actually compare the M7 and M6 to see how different they sound from each other.

I really hope you guys waiting in limbo get your M6's soon. If it is anything like the M7 it will be a great sounding DAP.

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #1,612 of 3,610
I think I figured out how M series is listing tracks

Listening to more songs with "Some..." as the first word in the title I noticed a pattern. If an artist has multiple songs with in this case "Some" (Some, Somebody, Somewhere etc...) as part of the first word in the track it played all the "Some" songs in alphabetical order for that artist. Once it played all that artists "Some" songs it went to the next artist in ascending alphabetical order and played all their "Some" songs.

So it appears Fiio for some reason has the tracks listed by artist plus song title alphabetically instead of just listing all tracks in alphabetical order. Yet another strange Fiio quirk like having the side buttons logically reversed for skipping tracks. I guess it could be a good thing in a way, at least like this you won't here every song with the same song title in a row when playing all tracks straight through. But it does then make it harder to locate a single song in the list as you now have to look at the artist as well as the song title.

I also had my first lockup when my unit coughed up a furball while attempting to play the song Something To Do by Depeche Mode. This song has never given me a problem before on any of my previous DAP's. Also noticed album art for ogg files does not display, despite being in the album folder same as all my mp3 and flac files which all show album art. All album art displays fine on my M0. So the M7 seems more finicky than my M0 handling tracks and album art. Pity really because other than these quirks and hiccups it is an improvement over my M0 in pretty much every way including sound quality.

I am pleasantly surprised at the power of the M7 as I rarely need to go above 30/60 on most tracks for comfortable volume vs 60/100 typically on my M0. I would like the opportunity some day to actually compare the M7 and M6 to see how different they sound from each other.

I really hope you guys waiting in limbo get your M6's soon. If it is anything like the M7 it will be a great sounding DAP.

M6 does sound awesome. It’s got almost twice the output power, lower noise and higher snr than m7. I love the tiny size also, too bad they can’t seem to meet demand.

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #1,614 of 3,610
M6 does sound awesome. It’s got almost twice the output power, lower noise and higher snr than m7. I love the tiny size also, too bad they can’t seem to meet demand.

One review said that with the M0 there was no need for the M7. Well I have to disagree in most areas, sound wise while they sound similar the M7 has a smoother slightly warmer sound that is less fatiguing and it seems to be a little fuller as well. Significantly better screen and UI, so yeah I have not doubt I would find the M6 an improvement as well.

Still getting use to the functionality but I suspect I will get comfortable with it much faster than I did with the M0. They just released a new firmware for the M0 but still no replaygain. I think it just reinforces the fact for me that now was a good time to change to the M7. The fact that the M7 and M6 use same hardware and software means as long as Fiio keeps releasing firmware updates for the M6 they should for the M7 as well minus any for wifi and whitelisted apps of course.

I am intrigued to see how the M6 changes and hopefully improves with the change to the higher end 7570 Exynos chip. If the price does not go up on the M6 it could take a little bite out of Fiio's profits on the M6. Interesting times ahead for Fiio.

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #1,615 of 3,610
One review said that with the M0 there was no need for the M7. Well I have to disagree in most areas, sound wise while they sound similar the M7 has a smoother slightly warmer sound that is less fatiguing and it seems to be a little fuller as well. Significantly better screen and UI, so yeah I have not doubt I would find the M6 an improvement as well.

Still getting use to the functionality but I suspect I will get comfortable with it much faster than I did with the M0. They just released a new firmware for the M0 but still no replaygain. I think it just reinforces the fact for me that now was a good time to change to the M7. The fact that the M7 and M6 use same hardware and software means as long as Fiio keeps releasing firmware updates for the M6 they should for the M7 as well minus any for wifi and whitelisted apps of course.

I am intrigued to see how the M6 changes and hopefully improves with the change to the higher end 7570 Exynos chip. If the price does not go up on the M6 it could take a little bite out of Fiio's profits on the M6. Interesting times ahead for Fiio.

I have the M0 and M6, and sadly, since getting the M6 i've not used the M0 much at all. The "real player" feel of the M6 is the main reason. I have almost the portability of the M0 (I use scotchlok to attach it to the BTR3 and use the lanyard with the BTR3 - but could invest in a sleeve for it with lanyard ring of course, also :) ) and the same sort of usability I get with my phone or my X7ii. Just wish fiio would refine the global search :wink:

The sound of the M0 is great and it's a no brainer at the price, but it's almost too small for it's own good, lol - I also have a subliminal fear of losing the darned thing.

Interesting times indeed for Fiio, and also us as consumers. We've so many great choice for great sounding units.

Ps... I think you made the right decision to go for the M7, if you don't need the wifi. The lack of M6 on the market right now is most frustrating and soundwise you'll not be wanting with the M7. I saw the M7 myself in a local shop and almost bought it in the fall, then I shelved a new dap idea for a few months and was lucky enough to get the M6 during the drought via B&H in Jan. Point is, I thought the M7 was a really fine looking device.

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #1,616 of 3,610

Having listened to the M7 now for several hours the one thing I can say for sure is noise is not an issue. It is dead silent with my headphones and SNR difference is something like 118 vs 117, not sure I could tell a difference.

So I think it comes down to the age old question, more battery life vs more power. The M7 has more than enough power for me, anything above 34/60 is to loud for me so I don't think I would miss the extra power from the M6. On the other hand I will definitely use the extra battery life. I haven't done a full charge and drain but most reviews indicate 16 to 18 hours with a wired connection. Not sure what people are getting with the M6 but it is definitely less. Over time battery life will decline so having the extra life will help. Not to mention using LDAC bluetooth which will drain the battery even faster. In the age of high quality bluetooth codecs more battery life is definitely a good thing.

Even if I wanted to go with the M6 timing and cost aren't in my favor. I am selling my M0 this week and I have roughly 23 days until my return period on my M7 expires. What are the chances I could get my hands on an M6 by then? I don't really want to be stuck without a DAP waiting for the M6 and besides if the M6 has the more powerful 7520 chip now how will that affect battery life? Until we see some real world usage data it is kind of an unknown. If I return my M7 I will have to pay a 15% restocking fee since it isn't defective. I think my M7 is my DAP for awhile maybe when the M6K comes out it will be time to consider an upgrade. :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #1,617 of 3,610
I have the M0 and M6, and sadly, since getting the M6 i've not used the M0 much at all. The "real player" feel of the M6 is the main reason. I have almost the portability of the M0 (I use scotchlok to attach it to the BTR3 and use the lanyard with the BTR3 - but could invest in a sleeve for it with lanyard ring of course, also :) ) and the same sort of usability I get with my phone or my X7ii. Just wish fiio would refine the global search :wink:

The sound of the M0 is great and it's a no brainer at the price, but it's almost too small for it's own good, lol - I also have a subliminal fear of losing the darned thing.

Interesting times indeed for Fiio, and also us as consumers. We've so many great choice for great sounding units.

Ps... I think you made the right decision to go for the M7, if you don't need the wifi. The lack of M6 on the market right now is most frustrating and soundwise you'll not be wanting with the M7. I saw the M7 myself in a local shop and almost bought it in the fall, then I shelved a new dap idea for a few months and was lucky enough to get the M6 during the drought via B&H in Jan. Point is, I thought the M7 was a really fine looking device.

Agree with you on the M0 and while I got better using it over time with the tiny screen it took all of 5 minutes to fully appreciate the much larger M7 screen. Yeah the more I think about it the more I feel the M7 just fits my needs better for features and battery life. Heck I might even use he FM radio from time to time, certainly more than I would use wifi and streaming (basically never). Especially if I can pickup the local sports station so I can listen to a Blue Jays game when I am traveling around.

We can debate M6 vs M7 but I think they are both very good choices depending on your needs. I think Fiio clearly had this in mind when they created these two DAP's instead of throwing all of their eggs into the wifi streaming basket. Even the styling shows a generational choice to some extent with the M7 look appealing more to older people like me vs the more modern style design of the M6 for people who embrace the streaming age. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #1,618 of 3,610
Agree with you on the M0 and while I got better using it over time with the tiny screen it took all of 5 minutes to fully appreciate the much larger M7 screen. Yeah the more I think about it the more I feel the M7 just fits my needs better for features and battery life. Heck I might even use he FM radio from time to time, certainly more than I would use wifi and streaming (basically never). Especially if I can pickup the local sports station so I can listen to a Blue Jays game when I am traveling around.

We can debate M6 vs M7 but I think they are both very good choices depending on your needs. I think Fiio clearly had this in mind when they created these two DAP's instead of throwing all of their eggs into the wifi streaming basket. Even the styling shows a generational choice to some extent with the M7 look appealing more to older people like me vs the more modern style design of the M6 for people who embrace the streaming age. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
yep... it's getting very much a case of last year's phone vs this year's or last year's sneakers. They are all good. Tech is NOT being revolutionized year on year. Improvements or changes are incremental and even detrimental (like the addition of wifi and removal of FM, etc). Take my V30, it's 2 generations old now, ie there was the V35 and V40 since then, but are those models preferred? No. The next BIG thing is the foldable stuff, but looking at the samsung release, it's really basic chunky implementation. We're maybe 2 or 3 years or generations down the line before it hits its stride. Reminds me of my old Nokia E61 which was like one of the 1st smartphones. It was almost there but just... didn't get there quite :)
Sorry... reminiscing

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,619 of 3,610
This talk of the M6 having the Exynos 7570 rather than the Exynos 7270 I think is wishful thinking. It would make everything that FiiO have told us, and sworn by inaccurate. Can we leave it out until James denies or confirms?
@JamesFiiO
Please deal with these rumours. Do any M6s have an upgraded Exynos 7570 chip?

Steve

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,620 of 3,610
I understand all critics against m6 such as battery life, search issues, etc., and some of these software issues should anyways be remedied in time.. But I think fiio should deserve credits with the new m6, mainly from price vs features point of view (i.e. wifi, ldac, airplay, dlna compatibility, third party apps&streaming services capability, powerful output, compact size, satisfactory display, etc.)... At least I could not find any competitor price/specswise. Hence I personally look ahead to get one as soon as the current supply problem is figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back