[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
May 24, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #2,371 of 3,610
Fiio and NAD an audio match made in heaven, for me at least

For those who have tried the NAD Viso HP50 I know they are not for everyone but they definitely work for me. I have been looking at the HP50's for 5 years but could never get myself to pull the trigger. Either they were to expensive or the headband designed turned me off. But finally thanks to a killer deal at $128.00 CDN it was time to pull the trigger. It took some work on the headband flexing it out to make them comfortable. But now after 15 hours of breakin they are comfortable for me and they sound amazing with my M7. Kind of makes me wish I bought these much sooner, better late than never I guess. In fairness I don't think my old A17 had enough power for these but the M7 has more than enough.

I never thought I would find another pair of headphones that would work better for me than my P5S2's, trust me I have tried many time over the years. It also makes me very happy that I could buy such a great pair of headphones from a Canadian company. I have listened to a ton of british, japanese, chinese and european made headphones over the years. I never would have dreamed I would end up with Canadian made headphones, thanks so much NAD. Yes I know NAD was a british owned company initially but the HP50's are Canadian designed with much research for these babies taking place at the National Research Council facilities in Ottawa by Paul Barton.

Okey enough Canadian flag waving, these headphones like most are not perfect but honestly they have the best synchronicity between bass, mid range and treble I have ever heard and I have listened to a ton of headphones.

Okey back to the M6 and by extension M7 for me. They still need some work and hopefully Fiio will release new firmware soon. I know they just released new firmware for the M11 so I hope they get back to development for the M6/M7/M9.

May 24, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #2,372 of 3,610
How's the UI's smoothness of these? Does it lags behind on loading up on album arts?

May 24, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #2,373 of 3,610
How's the UI's smoothness of these? Does it lags behind on loading up on album arts?

I can't speak to the M6 is only did a store demo but the M7 is very responsive. There is a fraction of a second delay before album art displays for a song but no worse than most DAP's. Personally I think the Samsung Exynos processor used for these DAP's is better suited for the M7 which has no wifi and can't install other apps. Again the UI on my M7 is very smooth, I would think the UI smoothness will vary on the M6 depending on how many apps you have and how resource heavy the apps are.

If wifi and streaming were important to me I would have splurged for the M11 with the much faster processor and alot more RAM.

May 27, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,376 of 3,610
I decided to take a chance and buy one today. I bought a new car that has wireless connectivity to the head unit and my FiiO X1 1st gen doesn't have bluetooth capability, so I am upgrading. I have been using my iPod Touch for awhile but it doesn't have a lot of storage space.

May 28, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,378 of 3,610
While updating firmware is a good thing if actual improvements can result, I can see the rationale for delaying a new version as I have yet to discover any significant bugs or shortcomings in the current version. All my white-listed apps perform as expected, WiFi is solid and reliable, SQ is very good and UI seems to be bug-free so far as I have been able to tell from my daily usage. Perhaps I am just lucky and have yet to discover an issue that a firmware update can address.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,379 of 3,610
I still have Chinese characters showing up in certain song titles on the M7 (not sure if that's a problem on the M6), so that needs to be addressed. I know the M6 has WiFi, but the M7 doesn't and an update to the latest Fiio Music app is still needed. So a new update would be welcome.

May 28, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #2,380 of 3,610
While updating firmware is a good thing if actual improvements can result, I can see the rationale for delaying a new version as I have yet to discover any significant bugs or shortcomings in the current version. All my white-listed apps perform as expected, WiFi is solid and reliable, SQ is very good and UI seems to be bug-free so far as I have been able to tell from my daily usage. Perhaps I am just lucky and have yet to discover an issue that a firmware update can address.

Many headfiers have requested a podcast app and an audiobook app. It has been proved that there are various other software apps that will work on the M6 without compromising the processor. FiiO could whitelist those apps as well as an alternative music player as the FiiO app leaves a lot to desired. I agree that in the most part the firmware is good but it has some faults. The M6 is a great little player and sounds exceptionally good and I would recommend it to anybody.

May 28, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,381 of 3,610
Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #2,382 of 3,610
hello everyone. any ideas if it's possible for me to have a fresh install of the 1.0.1 firmware? i would like to reinstall it as I think when I first bought it, i tried upgrading it to 1.0.1 when it is already 1.0.1, and it crashed, and caused some software hiccups since then.

May 29, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #2,383 of 3,610
I still have Chinese characters showing up in certain song titles on the M7 (not sure if that's a problem on the M6), so that needs to be addressed. I know the M6 has WiFi, but the M7 doesn't and an update to the latest Fiio Music app is still needed. So a new update would be welcome.

As a fellow M7 owner I agree, since we can't add additional apps fixes are needed to make the Fiio Music player properly functional. Like sorting songs in the proper order for one, and when you scroll right to see a list of tracks (in the wrong order) it sometimes shows the next tracks to play and sometimes takes you back to the start of the track list.. It takes multiple attempts every time I try to scan for new songs. I get at least 2 and sometimes 3 exception errors and exits from the app before it will finally scan. Makes me miss my Shanling M0 a little as it had no sort issues and scanned my card on the first try every time. Still prefer my M7 overall for sure but it would be nice to get these bugs fixed at some point. I mean how hard is it to list songs in aphabetical order, much cheaper DAP's have no problem doing it.

May 30, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #2,384 of 3,610
The latest update to the FiiO Music Player app on the Play Store (Version 1.1.2) finally fixed all those glitchy Chinese characters issue (e.g. special characters such as Ø, Ë, Ñ, etc. are now displayed properly instead of random Chinese characters). Just tried it right now on my Xiaomi Mi A1 + Topping NX4 stack. We could expect that this particular version of the FiiO Music Player app would be included in the upcoming firmware update for M6/M7/M9.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #2,385 of 3,610
The latest update to the FiiO Music Player app on the Play Store (Version 1.1.2) finally fixed all those glitchy Chinese characters issue (e.g. special characters such as Ø, Ë, Ñ, etc. are now displayed properly instead of random Chinese characters). Just tried it right now on my Xiaomi Mi A1 + Topping NX4 stack. We could expect that this particular version of the FiiO Music Player app would be included in the upcoming firmware update for M6/M7/M9.

That would be so nice to finally get a fully functional music app from Fiio. I just hope we don't have to wait an eternity to get it. Just bought a 2nd pair of NAD Viso HP50's as a backup for $93 CDN so I should be good for headphones for years to come. Saving $460 on these HP50's will definitely help my DAP budget going forward so bring on them new DAP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back