[FiiO M3K] Probably the Most Cost-Effective Hi-Res Music Player, Discrete HiFi DAC Chip, Supports up to 384K/32B
Feb 15, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #556 of 636
Soundwise is great, agreed. But UI is laggy as hell and have many annoyances. Scrolling through folders is incredibly slow. Albums titles scroll is also desperately slow, you just can sit and wait to see the whole title. Now, press the buttons to lower or increase the volume: guess what... you have to wait until the volume effectively goes down or up. Can't understand how can this happen from a quality brand.

NOTE: I'm using the last fw (1.4.3). My unit is new, bought two weeks ago.
Device should only lag when EQ is applied, without EQ it should be really smooth and fast

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #557 of 636
Device should only lag when EQ is applied, without EQ it should be really smooth and fast

It lags when accessing a large quantity of music files. otherwise its pretty ok, it stutters after waking up from standby when its not been operated on for a while. When in continous use its fine. It's probably the need for battery saving doing this.

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #558 of 636
It lags when accessing a large quantity of music files. otherwise its pretty ok, it stutters after waking up from standby when its not been operated on for a while. When in continous use its fine. It's probably the need for battery saving doing this.
Yeah there's a bit of lag when waking from standby, but as you say think that's because it essentially hibernate as there's minimal drain leaving it in standby, fine after a few seconds.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #559 of 636
I'm glad Rockbox was ported to this device, because stock FW refuses to get past the Welcome screen, and no matter what downgrade or update of the firmware I do, the only thing that will work is if Rockbox is attatched. Downside is, no more DAC, no more Mic, and I have to use a MicroSD reader to add music. Hoping it'll get fixed at some point but my hopes are low.

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #560 of 636
Hi I want to report a bug. This thing has behaved this way since brand new.

Firmware Version:
FW 1.4.3

Card Version:
SanDisk Ultra PLUS - 64GB - micro SD XC1 V10 A1 (Formated By The Player)

I know how to properly eject flashdrives. I always eject them before unplugging.

Whenever I plug the player into a Windows 7 computer, Windows wants to check it for errors. 9 times out of 10 if I let it check the drive, it reports no errors. Windows 10 does not pop up a dialog box, but if you go to properties and click check disk, it comes up and says there might be errors. After checking, it also reports no errors. Remember I said 9 times out of 10? Just yesterday, Windows 7 did correct an error. One of my mp3s was corrupt.

I tried changing SD Cards.
I put in a Generic 64GB micro SDXC 1 card and it gave me the exact same issue. (Formated By The Player)

Why does this thing make Windows think there is a file system error?

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #561 of 636
Does anybody can tell me if this is better sound wise than the Sony nwe-393?I know the Sony is not a dap,but an mp4,but still.I want an inexpensive dap,under 100 euros,but to be an upgrade on my mp4.Thank you!
I can not say as never heard one, but the M3k will do what you want and much more! Bought another for my wife she and I enjoy them a lot!
Feed it a good source and use at least mid quality cans and you will be happy IMHO!
R H

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #562 of 636
Dear friend,

Does the album name be added to the tag of the files correctly? Or you could share some files to us for check?

Best regards
THX for reply.
How does one know if an album name is correct please?
Do I make a mistake by using ALL CAPS in my titles?
R H

Mar 14, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #563 of 636
THX for reply.
How does one know if an album name is correct please?
Do I make a mistake by using ALL CAPS in my titles?
R H
Hello,

You could check using the Foobar software:

1584176398852.png

Or send the music file to support@fiio.com. We could have a check for you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #564 of 636
How easily FiiO M3k can run 80-ohm headphones without external amp?

I am having in mind using Beyerdynamics DT-770 pro 80-ohm with them. As I do not need X-series quality nor M-series Bluetooth\io option for music player. Battery life is more important to me. I do like M3k simplicity and solid build, but sadly no personal EQ yet. I know the 80-ohm would be upper limit for M3k, or I would be safer to pick 32-ohm DT-770-s. Velour pads add much to DT-770, hence I strongly prefer 80-ohm version*. Other option would be to add A3/A3 or K5 PRO amp to it. In that case I would be leaning towards K5 PRO, hence the setting is for stationary build (though I can´t have music in stationary devices). Would K5 PRO amp be better with 80 or 250 ohms?

Though it seems K5 M3k would not work as M3k can work as PC-DAC through USB or headphone line out. Others are not supported**.

*I did find a review, that claimed FiiO M3k can easily run even 250 ohm headphones?
How many output modes M3k has?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #565 of 636
Hello,
There is personal E Q with latter firm ware and seems at least for me to work well.
Very happy with my FiiO A3 amp using ATH M40 x cans, 35 ohm.
Also loud enough, I do like loud, without amp at 8 volume setting.
But of course I use amp.
R H

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #566 of 636
Hello,
There is personal E Q with latter firm ware and seems at least for me to work well.
Very happy with my FiiO A3 amp using ATH M40 x cans, 35 ohm.
Also loud enough, I do like loud, without amp at 8 volume setting.
But of course I use amp.
R H
I can't deal with the sluggish and jerky UI as soon as EQ is applied but tbf never really use EQ on any player, prefer to have vanilla output

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #567 of 636
I just picked one of these up for biking since my old 2006 iPod is pretty much dead at this point.

Question, anyone who has put Rockbox on it, the latest 1.4.3 version. How is the scrolling? I have never used Rockbox in my life. The only thing i dislike about this player is how long it takes to scroll through all of the artists. I have alleviated this mostly by making a few playlists of stuff but its still kinda annoying.

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #569 of 636
I have two M3Ks which I use a lot. In the past I have used Rockbox on many DAPs but hadn’t really felt the need for it on my M3Ks but as I have two I decided to try it on one of them. I particularly enjoy producing my own custom Themes which I have also done this time.

I’m using the earlier version 190901 of Rockbox as the problem with the Fast Forward and Rewind made the later version unusable for me.

A few comments:

Every time I reloaded Rockbox to updated my Theme it then played with occasional pops and clicks that were very noticeable and a very feint and more difficult to hear crackling noise in the background whenever music played but nothing during silent passages. It was tolerable for listening to music but very irritating for Audio Books. However, I found they all disappeared if after reloading Rockbox I first booted into the original Fiio Firmware and then restarted the M3K and booted Rockbox. Once I’ve done that once it’s fine with no need to boot the Fiio Firmware again unless I change Rockbox again.

Another thing I found a bit odd was that my Album Art wasn’t loading. It worked fine from the same SD card on all my other DAPs both running Rockbox or original Firmwares. I had a JPG file called “Folder” in each folder and eventually discovered that it needs to be called “folder” (i.e. lowercase only) for it to work on the M3K. Similarly “Cover” doesn’t work but “cover” does.

The Rockbox UI runs very fast with no delays to loading Album Art etc. I’m using it mainly for Audio Books and using my other M3K without Rockbox for music.

It’s a bit early to say what effect Rockbox has on Battery life but at the moment it seems slightly worse but I think the Battery Indicator isn’t that accurate so I need to let it run down completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back