[FiiO M3K] Probably the Most Cost-Effective Hi-Res Music Player, Discrete HiFi DAC Chip, Supports up to 384K/32B
Feb 22, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #631 of 636
Need to install older version Rockbox for the dual boot, not the newest one then.
The official supported version of Rockbox for the M3K can boot in the Fiio Firmware if the “Play” button is held down when turning on. Otherwise it boots directly into native Rockbox (very fast!).

The dual version with the choice at the Boot Screen was developed by a user “XVortex” and although it works it has problems and isn’t being worked on now and is regarded as unsupported by the Rockbox community. I don't know if XVortex's files are still available to download.

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #632 of 636
Due to recent improvements in the Rockbox bootloader I could probably add a graphical dual boot menu now (m3k rockbox dev here). I'll look into that this weekend, maybe.

Not to toot my own horn here, but Rockbox on the M3K is really stable nowadays. There's no serious issues that I know of, and I try to fix any reported problems (sometimes that ends up taking a while but it gets done). The original firmware is a mess, it is very buggy and that affected the stability and usability of XVortex's port.

It's worth mentioning that if you install Rockbox, you both have dual boot support and can easily roll it back to the factory state if you want. Plus, the M3K is basically unbrickable so there's virtually no risk to the install.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #633 of 636
I am very grateful for amachronic’s work (and others) for their work on Rockbox for the M3K. I have four different players with Rockbox and the M3K is my favourite. It’s also my favourite player overall compared to others I have from Shanling, Hidizs and Tempotec.

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #636 of 636

Attachments

• 2023_02_02_11_50_IMG_7843.JPG
    2023_02_02_11_50_IMG_7843.JPG
    816.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back