[FiiO M3K] Probably the Most Cost-Effective Hi-Res Music Player, Discrete HiFi DAC Chip, Supports up to 384K/32B
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #616 of 636
I like the M3K sound and build, but the UI is definitely improvable. Few basic improvements for next firmware update

- Sort files by "date modified"
- When title length is longer than display size, horizontal scrolling is VERY slow (less than 1 character per second !!)
- Option to change font size

Thanks in advance to FIIO staff
Completely agree about the scrolling and the sort by date modified option.
also it takes ages to go from A to Z in a big library.

-If the scrollbar was rather used to scroll through Letters instead of going through file names one at a time. (like the windows start menu after clicking on a particular alphabet shows # numbers then A to Z, just to clarify the idea). Leaving the forward and reverse buttons for fine scrolling like it already is. It would make the interface a lot more easier to navigate through.

These refinements will make it a wholesome experience adding to the good sound that it already delivers.
Also playlist can be improved, I like the one in Rockbox:

select files to be added to the playlist in the browser without open the single file, then open a menu, then add to the playlist.

User gourab1995 and I 4 months ago made some easy suggestions for improving and correcting a quite bad User Interface but the last update is only a bug fix ignoring all the many user opinions.

I confirm my opinion on M3K: good hardware for a good price but very annoying UI.

I have have now 2x M3Ks, both on FW145.

1. FW145 has not changed anything regarding battery usage, it is still the same, exceptionally good, but the battery indicator is really unlinear, dropping rapidly from 2/5.

2. FIIO rep: can I suggest something new regarding battery usage? Please add an option of "Cumulative Battery Run Time" with user reset for precise evaluation of the critical player feature. Users could reset it after a 100% recharge and examine the result after full discharge. I realize that no existing player has this feature, but I hope you are open to some new innovations.

Maybe it could be useful an option to use a numeric value to display the battery level

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #617 of 636
Maybe someone can help me (no help from customer service/support on official site). Bought Fiio Mk3 last summer, after a month of usage screen lines (flickering) appeared. I have not been able to get rid of them.

These screen lines are visible in menus. When menu is open they are not visible. Also sometimes they appear in lock screen. These lines are stationary in menus, always on same spot and same color pattern. When music is playing they also can appear on music screen, but then it appears as flickering effect. Firmware is still on version 1.3. I don't think the issue is related to firmware. I have restored to factory settings twice, have removed and tried different SD-card-s. It has always been charged with original cable and via PC USB hole. Images to exemplify the problem are here: https://imgur.com/a/LV4vuOV

The issue is not obstructing the use of player, but it would better without it. I also wrote to extensive description to Fiio's custome support twice by now, but its clear they have no intention of replying. I also don't feel the need to send it back under guarantee - not that expensive product and it is still usable in its main function. But I am deeply disappointing in Fiio's lack of interest even replying to me (first letter 6 months ago, another a month). I have two Fiio´s products and up to now have had good opinion of the products and company, but in future I might avoid it due to that.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #618 of 636
Maybe someone can help me (no help from customer service/support on official site). Bought Fiio Mk3 last summer, after a month of usage screen lines (flickering) appeared. I have not been able to get rid of them. These screen lines are visible in menus. When menu is open they are not visible

It is a hardware fault. The only question is: LCD or the motherboard. While the problem is not always visible, I'd say 80% LCD fault. There is a chance (small) that simply re-seating the LCD's connectors may cure it.

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #619 of 636
I don't know if the reps from FiiO are still visiting these forums but I'm still going to post here hoping they will read this.

Firstly, thank you for this wonderful device. The compact size and the battery life is just the best. It may have its quirks but I'll keep using my M3K until it breaks, or until I buy a new one (which I will eventually).

Now as I mentioned, it has it quirks. Slow scrolling speed, lockscreen time out is long (I tend to check the time using my M3K) and a lack of sub menu when trying to add music to a playlist (you have to select a song first before adding it to a playlist). But what I hated the most is accidentally pressing the playback button when I put my M3K in my bag after a listening session. And of course the device would still continue to play music even without any headphones connected which is infuriating because by time I would able to check it, the device would be halfway out, on the red or completely out.

To the FiiO reps, hopefully you could add a function that the player wouldn't be able to play music when there are no headphones connected.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #620 of 636
I don't know if the reps from FiiO are still visiting these forums but I'm still going to post here hoping they will read this.

Firstly, thank you for this wonderful device. The compact size and the battery life is just the best. It may have its quirks but I'll keep using my M3K until it breaks, or until I buy a new one (which I will eventually).

Now as I mentioned, it has it quirks. Slow scrolling speed, lockscreen time out is long (I tend to check the time using my M3K) and a lack of sub menu when trying to add music to a playlist (you have to select a song first before adding it to a playlist). But what I hated the most is accidentally pressing the playback button when I put my M3K in my bag after a listening session. And of course the device would still continue to play music even without any headphones connected which is infuriating because by time I would able to check it, the device would be halfway out, on the red or completely out.

To the FiiO reps, hopefully you could add a function that the player wouldn't be able to play music when there are no headphones connected.
Dear friend,

We will report your feedback to the tech team for check when they are free.

And you could try to turn on the idle standby function in the system to see if it helps?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #621 of 636
Hello, everyone!
I've read around here that the FiiO M3K doesn't have usb-audio support, but I've seen picture of it connected to a Q3 through what looks like a analog aux cable, from the headphone jack out to the in from the Q3. Is this a viable way to use an external amp with it, for phones that need more driving power? Can I use this config with a BTR5, since it's the one I have rn? Thank you!

Oh, and this is where I found the aforementioned post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...e-dsd512-decoding.943213/page-6#post-15913500

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #622 of 636
Hello, everyone!
I've read around here that the FiiO M3K doesn't have usb-audio support, but I've seen picture of it connected to a Q3 through what looks like a analog aux cable, from the headphone jack out to the in from the Q3. Is this a viable way to use an external amp with it, for phones that need more driving power? Can I use this config with a BTR5, since it's the one I have rn? Thank you!

Oh, and this is where I found the aforementioned post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...e-dsd512-decoding.943213/page-6#post-15913500
M3k can be used as external dac/amp - usb audio does work.

It has only 3.5 Phone out without Line Out - straight playing from the dac bypassing internal amp. In case of connecting external amp to 3.5 PO there will be double amping which can sometimes sound better. I used to have alo rx3, CV5 and micro BL - connected rx3 to c4 pro and it sound signature was more pleasing to me. I really liked the amp,so I was connecting it to anything) but it is exception - double amping leads to a dirty sound picture overall.

Btw, Fiio is it possible to make Line Out working through software upgrading? We really miss this function in suchwonderful little dap!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #623 of 636
M3k can be used as external dac/amp - usb audio does work.

It has only 3.5 Phone out without Line Out - straight playing from the dac bypassing internal amp. In case of connecting external amp to 3.5 PO there will be double amping which can sometimes sound better. I used to have alo rx3, CV5 and micro BL - connected rx3 to c4 pro and it sound signature was more pleasing to me. I really liked the amp,so I was connecting it to anything) but it is exception - double amping leads to a dirty sound picture overall.

Btw, Fiio is it possible to make Line Out working through software upgrading? We really miss this function in suchwonderful little dap!
Awesome! Thanks for the insightful response! ✌️☺️

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #625 of 636
I am considering buying an older M3K due to the possibility of using the system. Does the rockbox limit the original features or characteristics of the player, please?
Hello.

I don't have a Fiio M3K, but Rockbox generally plays and outputs 16bit 44 100hz audio. If you care about about playing high resolution audio files in 'native' sample rate, Rockbox will not give you that (regardless of which device you have). Higher sample rate files (for example 96 000hz/192 000hz) will be downsampled to 44 100hz and played so. So from this point view, yes it limits the player compared to its original characteristics. However, i am sure you will actually like the Rockbox more.

The quality you hear with Rockbox is actually astonishingly good. There is parametric equalizer and other controls and effects. If you are confident you can install it, give it a go. The thing is, even if does not support high sample rate playback, it lowers some of the high frequencies so that you hear smooth and organic sound. Very good details as well and nothing lacking really. Darker background with no noise, overall makes it sound like better and more expensive device.

As for how stable is Rockbox on Fiio M3K, here some information : https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FiioM3K

Looking at this page, seems completely OK. So long you install it right (i saw topics on how install Rockbox on Fiio M3K, so you could find them if search Google).

PS: and there is Dual Boot, you can still use the Fiio system if don't like the Rockbox.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #626 of 636
Hello.

I don't have a Fiio M3K, but Rockbox generally plays and outputs 16bit 44 100hz audio. If you care about about playing high resolution audio files in 'native' sample rate, Rockbox will not give you that (regardless of which device you have). Higher sample rate files (for example 96 000hz/192 000hz) will be downsampled to 44 100hz and played so. So from this point view, yes it limits the player compared to its original characteristics. However, i am sure you will actually like the Rockbox more.

The quality you hear with Rockbox is actually astonishingly good. There is parametric equalizer and other controls and effects. If you are confident you can install it, give it a go. The thing is, even if does not support high sample rate playback, it lowers some of the high frequencies so that you hear smooth and organic sound. Very good details as well and nothing lacking really. Darker background with no noise, overall makes it sound like better and more expensive device.

As for how stable is Rockbox on Fiio M3K, here some information : https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FiioM3K

Looking at this page, seems completely OK. So long you install it right (i saw topics on how install Rockbox on Fiio M3K, so you could find them if search Google).

PS: and there is Dual Boot, you can still use the Fiio system if don't like the Rockbox.
Many thanks for detailed answer! The Dual Boot function is present aschoice during general installation rockbox or it have to prepared for its, please?

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #627 of 636
Many thanks for detailed answer! The Dual Boot function is present aschoice during general installation rockbox or it have to prepared for its, please?
The Dual Boot is when you install Rockbox, turn the Fiio on, then screen appears where it sits 10 seconds and you can choose between the Fiio system and Rockbox. Then to go to the other, turn off the Fiio. Turn it on again and the screen for selecting which system will appear again for 10 seconds.

As for what happends while installing Rockbox, i can't tell you. You have to check your guide on how to install Rockbox and see how they do it there.

This is a manual from Rockbox for Fiio M3K: https://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-fiiom3k.pdf

There is described how everything works, what functions the device have after you install Rockbox and how to use it. And also how to install Rockbox itself, but it is very in detail and i would search for video on Youtube or Google how to install it. But you can look the manual as well for installations and such, i see is written in there.

So you can watch video in Youtube, search in Google, or read in the manual above how to install it. Up to you how you want to do it, just be careful with this you know. Is important to do it right. Normally it should have DualBoot.

Rockbox1.jpg

Feb 22, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #628 of 636
The Dual Boot is when you install Rockbox, turn the Fiio on, then screen appears where it sits 10 seconds and you can choose between the Fiio system and Rockbox. Then to go to the other, turn off the Fiio. Turn it on again and the screen for selecting which system will appear again for 10 seconds.
This is no longer the case with the latest version of Rockbox being currently worked on. This refers to the earlier version which is not now being updated or worked on. The latest version boots directly into Rockbox without the Dual Boot screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back