[FiiO M3K] Probably the Most Cost-Effective Hi-Res Music Player, Discrete HiFi DAC Chip, Supports up to 384K/32B
Aug 29, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #452 of 636
What will Rockboxing bring to the M3K? Sorry of course if this is a dumb question.
Faster UI for one, better battery life and audio quality depending on implementation. Also better audio format support.

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #453 of 636
Sep 1, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #455 of 636
Here we go: Rockbox for FiiO M3K: link

- Based on the stock FW v1.3 (which has also been optimized for speed and memory usage).
- It is flashed like a regular firmware (...and rolls back also).
- Almost everything works, but minor bugs will be fixed over time.

Enjoy!
(and please consider a donation if You'd like it).
Awesome thanks Vortex can't wait to give it a go, time to turn the laptop on

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #456 of 636

- Based on the stock FW v1.3 (which has also been optimized for speed and memory usage).

Enjoy!

Impressive!
Unfortunately i've sold mine some weeks ago because i didn't live the stock firmware.... :frowning2:

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #457 of 636
First thoughts on Rockbox for the M3K are it's superb, so nice to have a playing screen where the album art isn't blocky and it actually presents useful information. Going to have a good play about, will sort a donation asap

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #458 of 636

Enjoy!
Got it on my device and holy heck there are tons of settings and the UI is very fast.

One thing I noticed, is voice recording missing from rockbox? Also, there is a loud pop when starting up a track, is that normal?

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #459 of 636
Got it on my device and holy heck there are tons of settings and the UI is very fast.

One thing I noticed, is voice recording missing from rockbox? Also, there is a loud pop when starting up a track, is that normal?

I don't think there is voice recording in the rockbox firmware. I get a bit of interference when manually playing a song from a different folder and sometimes when skipping tracks but wouldn't say its a loud pop, more a little crackle and isn't all the time, not something that bothers me tbh.

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #460 of 636
I don't think there is voice recording in the rockbox firmware. I get a bit of interference when manually playing a song from a different folder and sometimes when skipping tracks but wouldn't say its a loud pop, more a little crackle and isn't all the time, not something that bothers me tbh.
are you also having problems in the now playing screen that the player does not view japanese characters properly?

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #461 of 636
are you also having problems in the now playing screen that the player does not view japanese characters properly?

I can't say I am, but only because I don't have any music which would have Japanese characters in it. There is one song I have which a character does not display correctly in it, but this was exactly the same on the stock firmware.

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #462 of 636
The good thing about the Rockbox firmware is that you do not lose the stock fiio player, you can szelect it on start up.
Pros: 1.Much quicker to see the whole id3 tag
2. Many many sound settings(well some exit with error - perceived bass)but most of them work
3. Battery percentage display
4. Many fonts

Cons:
1. High pitched click on selecting and resuming a song - for me this is the top priority to fix in next release.
2. Sometimes it hangs (playing , scrolling the tag but screen doesn't switch off , the buttons light up on pressing the power button button but do not react).
3. Something happened to the id3 tags .
They now look like this:
ml05fPP.jpg

4. Relatively low scrolling speed

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #463 of 636
The good thing about the Rockbox firmware is that you do not lose the stock fiio player, you can szelect it on start up.
Pros: 1.Much quicker to see the whole id3 tag
2. Many many sound settings(well some exit with error - perceived bass)but most of them work
3. Battery percentage display
4. Many fonts

Cons:
1. High pitched click on selecting and resuming a song - for me this is the top priority to fix in next release.
2. Sometimes it hangs (playing , scrolling the tag but screen doesn't switch off , the buttons light up on pressing the power button button but do not react).
3. Something happened to the id3 tags .
They now look like this:
4. Relatively low scrolling speed

What I fixed on your cons list when I faced these issues too
1.) You can change the font to GNU-unifont to display japanese and other language typesets, you have to make sure that your mp3 tags are set to UTF-8, but you have to change the when playing screen to either to the cabbiev2 theme or the rockbox_failsafe theme to properly show japanese fonts
2.) Scrolling speed can be adjusted in settings

Edit: Really having problems with installing themes and doom on the m3k. It's like the OS is ignoring the fact that there is a .rockbox folder....

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #464 of 636
Edit: Really having problems with installing themes and doom on the m3k. It's like the OS is ignoring the fact that there is a .rockbox folder....
This rockbox does not use the .rockbox folder. It is on /usr/rockbox in the intrnal flash.
To sync (join) .rockbox filder on sd card and flash conents go to bootloader -> tools and choose ‘Update rockbox’ from menu.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #465 of 636
This rockbox does not use the .rockbox folder. It is on /usr/rockbox in the intrnal flash.
To sync (join) .rockbox filder on sd card and flash conents go to bootloader -> tools and choose ‘Update rockbox’ from menu.
it doesn't work for some reason, when I select update rockbox on the menu it appears to do something and confirms being updated, but when I try to open the theme menu there are no additional themes added to the list and doom plugin still doesn't detect the wads.

I rechecked that the file structure and it is exactly on what the rockbox wiki says.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back