[FiiO M3K] Probably the Most Cost-Effective Hi-Res Music Player, Discrete HiFi DAC Chip, Supports up to 384K/32B
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #121 of 636
Is anyone else having issues with the m3k not playing certain audio files that player supports like wav or flac? I have some a decent bit of music that is either of the 2 file types and some of them do not play while others of the same type play just fine. When you select these specific ones the player will prompt me saying the file type is not supported?

Out of all the daps I've tried and owned this and the hisound n1 are the only players I've had this kind of issue with. I've been scowering the net but to no avail. Anyone else experiencing this? Or is there a solution with editing the file properties i don't know about?

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #122 of 636
Is anyone else having issues with the m3k not playing certain audio files that player supports like wav or flac? I have some a decent bit of music that is either of the 2 file types and some of them do not play while others of the same type play just fine. When you select these specific ones the player will prompt me saying the file type is not supported?

Out of all the daps I've tried and owned this and the hisound n1 are the only players I've had this kind of issue with. I've been scowering the net but to no avail. Anyone else experiencing this? Or is there a solution with editing the file properties i don't know about?

I have some very old files which the MK3 won't play which are all Mono. I don't know if there are any other technical specifications which would cause the MK3 problems.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #124 of 636

I have many CDs that I turned into one flac file with a cue file saying where the tracks are in the flac. All my flacs + cue files plays fine.

Maybe something wrong with the headers in your files?

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #125 of 636
I have many CDs that I turned into one flac file with a cue file saying where the tracks are in the flac. All my flacs + cue files plays fine.

Maybe something wrong with the headers in your files?

I thought that too and it was the first thing I suspected and checked. However all the wav or flac files have the correct headers from what I can see. I wonder if it could be a codec compatibility thing or something else I'm not sure. Like I said I've never experienced this before aside from the n1(which had many issues) and it doesn't seem to be very common from what I've researched.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #127 of 636
My m3k finally showed up, and I've been fiddling with it for the past couple hours. Some things I'd like to note;

-the player is much smaller and aesthetically pleasing than I imagined it would've been, at least compared to my 1st gen x1

-the touch capacitive controls are nice and responsive, which is a huge step up to the mechanical wheels of the x1 players that I've used

-the ui is actually pretty nice to look at and interact with, tho I'd much prefer a different theme/look for the main menu but that's just me. Maybe a theme option in the future!?

-sadly the device doesn't have a line out option for external amps, I'm not sure if that feature can be added or not but would be great if so

As far as navigating the ui, it's quite fluent and snappy scrolling through the menus with the touch bar or using ff or rw to scroll as well. However if you have a large library, quickly scrolling and locating a paticular track or artist isn't all that possible.

Currently I have about 400ish artists and around 2500-3000 songs(which probly pales to others) and its a bit of a struggle trying to pin point a specific artist or tune. Holding ff or rw is the quickest option for scrolling compared to the touch bar.

The touch bar works but trying to stop quicky can be tricky. The scroll speed is on the slower side like mentioned and there seems to be a bit of acceleration, maybe to speed things up a bit but also makes stopping precisely difficult as it's seems to have some momentum to it. Meaning the highlighted box will continue to scroll for a bit once you let off.

Also another weird thing I've noticed, is that the device won't play some wav files I have. Some play fine others will just give me a file not supported prompt...kinda odd as I've never experienced this before.

Hopefully future updates can remedy these issues. So far I'm really enjoying the m3k but the navigating really needs work. Particularly the speed and accuracy. My fingers are crossed

Edit- another thing I've noticed just now is that fast forwarding or rewinding results in a small but audible pause right after you stop. How much you rr/fw you do doesn't seem to effect the time before the pause, sometimes it will show up right after you stop or a few seconds later. Also, the player volume doesn't seem to affect the pause volume.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. You are using the FW1.0.5, right? We have reported some of the issues you mentioned to the engineer.
As for the wav file, you could share it to us for checking for you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #128 of 636
I’ve had my MK3 for two days so some initial impressions.

Very easy to use UI and I didn’t need the instructions to get things set up as I like them. I only use Folders and sub-folders for my files and these appeared correctly arranged alphabetically.

Using both the central scroll area and the fast-forward and fast-rewind buttons to scroll I had no difficulty finding the file I wanted and it’s no slower than my other current DAPs (Shannling M1, Hidizs AP60, Ruizu A50). I actually prefer the navigation on the MK3 to the scroll wheel type.

The UI is fast although the central area doesn’t always respond to my first touch when the side Pause/play button always does.

One bug: With “Resume Play” selected as an option, if I turn off the player right at the end of a track when I turn it back on the first five seconds of the next track are horribly distorted before it settles down and plays normally. If I turn off part way through a track the resume works properly.

It’s also locked up on me twice, once part way through a track it just stopped and although the UI still worked I couldn’t select any new tracks or get it playing again. Holding the On/Off button for ten seconds sorted it out OK. The same track subsequently played with no problems.

Album art looks very good although this has to be embedded as it doesn’t load a “Folder” or “Cover” JPG unlike all my other DAPs which meant several hours editing my files.

I don’t need Blue Tooth or WiFi etc and I don’t own a Smartphone so don’t need any linking software so this player makes sense for me. However, the main reason I got it is the claimed battery life to cope with fairly frequent long distance travel. I’ve not charged it yet so that’s looking very good and far better than any of my other DAPs.

It sounds good, looks good and is nicely made. Another very Important feature for me is that it does “Gapless” perfectly.

It’s still early days but I suspect this will become my main player.
Dear friend,

With “Resume Play” selected as an option, if I turn off the player right at the end of a track when I turn it back on the first five seconds of the next track are horribly distorted before it settles down and plays normally. If I turn off part way through a track the resume works properly
---Do you mean power off and turn on again then resume from the end of a track? I failed to reproduce your issue. :frowning2:
Are you using the FW1.0.5?
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #129 of 636
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. You are using the FW1.0.5, right? We have reported some of the issues you mentioned to the engineer.
As for the wav file, you could share it to us for checking for you.

Best regards
Hello Fiioman and thanks for the reply! Yes I do have the latest firmware on the device. I updated first thing once i received the m3k, and have been experiencing these things.

Though i don't believe the firmware has caused or is reason for any of things I'm experiencing, I'm just letting you guys know what I've found thus far. I'll keep posting should i find anything odd.

But is there any reason why the player will play some flac or wav files and not others? I'd imagine its something to do with the files but can't figure it out.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #130 of 636
---Do you mean power off and turn on again then resume from the end of a track? I failed to reproduce your issue. :frowning2:
Are you using the FW1.0.5?

You need both “ Resume Mode - Position” and “Gapless” selected for the distortion to happen. Then if you turn off the player right at the end of a track the next track is distorted as it starts as the player is turned on again.

Yes I am using FW1.0.5. Thanks for the reply.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #133 of 636
Will M3K be upgrade over FiiO X1(1st.gen.)?

For me it was. The m3k is a good bit smaller, looks more sleek imo and is easier to use overall. Best of all, no awful mechanical scroll wheel, instead has touch capacitive buttons and a scroll bar. Which are quite responsive and snappy making navigating the ui(is also nice n simple) pleasent and easy to do.

I've only charged mine once the day i got it about a week ago and it says i have 4/5 battery bars left, after about 7 or 8 hours playback. My 1st gen x1 would already need a charge or be dead by now. Fiio claims 24 hours of continuous playback and 38 standby and i would say it's not an exaggeration at this point in my charge cycle.

Power wise, it's plenty strong enough to drive my fiio f5 iems and even my ath a900x's. Tho the a900x's require volume to be on the higher side for medium-ish volume but still does a great job without the need of an external amp.

Sound quality wise, compared to my x1, it's sounds... more refined? Just as good if not better at least to me. I don't have any fancy measuring devices to test my thoughts so i can't say for certain, but considering the price it is definitely good.

My only nit picks with the m3k are that it doesn't have a dedicated line out feature for external amps. I'm not sure if that could be added with a future update or not but it's not a deal breaker. I just connect my trusty e12a, max volume on m3k and all is well.

The scroll speed could use a boost, especially if you have a larger library. It works well enough but it could definitely benefit from some more speed. If fiio can release an update with added settings for this, that would be awesome

The player doesn't want to play some flac and wav files of mine while others play fine. I think it's an issue of my files but I'm still trying to figure it. And lastly, themes! I do miss the theme options of my x1, the ui of the m3k is nice don't get me wrong but being able to change it up is always a nice touch.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edit- the m3k also comes with a screen protector pre installed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back