[FiiO M3K] Probably the Most Cost-Effective Hi-Res Music Player, Discrete HiFi DAC Chip, Supports up to 384K/32B
Mar 28, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #331 of 636
Quick newbie question on firmware update. I have a 32gb mini sd card ready to use so I will format it in player but Im not sure what part of the card I drag the update to? Would it be the same place I drag music files to when Im inputting them into the M3K? Thanks
The firmware update file should be put only in the root folder of the sdcard. Nowhere else. Ex: F:\<update file here> (F drive being the sdcard location showing up on your pc) Also the filename should not be changed.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #332 of 636
And don't forget to delete the firmware update file after you are done updating. It is recommended to do so in fiios manual update guideline. Cheers :)

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #334 of 636
Just my luck-My iMac cant open the firmware file
If I'm not mistaken, you would have ended up with a file called "M3K.fw". You don't need to open/unzip this file. Simply copy or cut to the sdcard root folder.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #335 of 636
Yes that is what its labelled.Do you drag this to the card while its in the player or drag it to card in my iMac and then put it into player while its off and then turn it on and player installs it?

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #336 of 636
Yes that is what its labelled.Do you drag this to the card while its in the player or drag it to card in my iMac and then put it into player while its off and then turn it on and player installs it?

I did it by copying it to the card via the sdcard being inserted into the player itself and the player connected via USB to my pc in storage mode, instead of directly placing the firmware in the sdcard.

After placing the fw file in the players sdcard. Turn it off first. Then make sure everything is disconnected and you have decent battery life (above 50%).

Then you press the volume plus and power button together. While gripping, press the plus button slightly earlier than the power button. Try to press with as less of a delay possible between the two buttons. But make sure you get volume plus button pressed first.

Keep pressing untill you see a dialog saying that it displays that the update file is being unzipped or something like that. There will be a white progress bar along with it. Leave it to do its thing. Takes about a minute or less. After it is done, should say that the update was successful. Then delete the fw file later.

Enjoy gapless playback, custom equalizer and I think a sleep timer is there now too. Not sure if it was there before. And probably some other things I haven't noticed yet.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #337 of 636
Oh and also do rescan your media library after the update as well. :L3000:

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #340 of 636
The update installed with no issues. Surprised at the difference the custom equalizer now makes especially with the first three settings. Left the treble end alone but the addition of more bass really adds depth to the sound quality.

Mar 29, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #341 of 636
Nice to know E Q does not affect volume as before.
Also will add sleep timer was there before this new F M update and worked well.
Still asking?
Can you now shuffle within artist?
It would not allow before.
And anyone finding other changes please?
Merci, rh

Mar 29, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #343 of 636
Not sure if it's entirely possible or not, but a 'sort by date modified' option would be really a plus for me. Similar to the recently added section under category, except it's not just for the last 50 songs.

Mar 29, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #344 of 636
So far In the firmware changes they add another step when you shut off the player so when you hold power button it now asks if you really want to shut off the player. It also allows you to resume music after shutoff either from the point in the song or you can replay the whole song. I only shuffle so not sure of anything else with playback but please try the equalizer since for me its a game changer. Subtle but effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back