FiiO M11Pro | Dual AK4497 | THX AAA 78 Headpone Amp | 5.15" 18:9 720P | Exynos 7872 | 3G Ram+64G Rom |
Oct 6, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #226 of 1,931
I have a question for James or user, that have tested and listened to different THX AAA-78 devices.

The THX logo should certify, that the sound reproduction of THX certified equipment is fully preserved.
Therefore, there shouldn't be a difference in sound between a X7II with AM3D, M11PRO or a possible M15PRO with THX AAA amplifier.
The only difference between the systems should be design, size, UI, speed ...

Is this right? Or is there a significant difference in sound between THX AAA-78 equipped music players?
Again you seem to be confusing THX Cinema (which keeps sound consistent between home theatre and cinema devices), and THX Mobile (AAA) which is a technology for amp modules in mobile gear. You should probably take the time to read more.

Oct 6, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #227 of 1,931
You are absolutely entitled to share your opinion.
You are right there were people who complained about the -6db volume drop including me but the new EQ distorts which is in fact worse than -6db volume drop.
I stopped worrying about FiiO App as soon as I started using Neutron, problem solved for me.
I have to wonder how much you’re tweaking the sound to get it to the point of distortion? Also, many IEMs/headphones don’t take too well to EQ, and many albums are beyond EQ help. Just curious here, not criticizing. One trick I was taught when it comes to EQ is to EQ down, not up. That way you’re avoiding clipping from the start.

Oct 6, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #228 of 1,931
First rule of EQing. Always down never up!
If something is to much than one can reduce it with an EQ and if you want to increase something reduce everything but the frequency range which you would like to increase and increase total volume.
But usually if something is missing, than it is the wrong equipment. :wink:

That is why I was always a bit annoyed about the automatic 6dB reduction when activating the EQ in the old FiO music player as I usually decrease only.

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #230 of 1,931
I have to wonder how much you’re tweaking the sound to get it to the point of distortion? Also, many IEMs/headphones don’t take too well to EQ, and many albums are beyond EQ help. Just curious here, not criticizing. One trick I was taught when it comes to EQ is to EQ down, not up. That way you’re avoiding clipping from the start.
I mostly increase 2 - 3db at max but you can clearly notice the distortion in the new FiiO EQ because there is no PREAMP. You get the same distortion on almost all the Android Apps but they all have PREAMP to prevent the distortion.
So, the fastest solution is to add a PREAMP.
I have not tried the Lotoo or Colorfly but Cowon EQ never distorts even at maximum.

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #231 of 1,931
First rule of EQing. Always down never up!
If something is to much than one can reduce it with an EQ and if you want to increase something reduce everything but the frequency range which you would like to increase and increase total volume.
But usually if something is missing, than it is the wrong equipment. :wink:

That is why I was always a bit annoyed about the automatic 6dB reduction when activating the EQ in the old FiO music player as I usually decrease only.
There is no perfect headphone or DAP out there IMO. People like me can't go trying everything (I don't have an option to try a few here in India in the first place) in the market to see which suits me better.
Get the one which ever is closest to your taste and adjust perfectly to your taste..be it pad swaping or AMP module swaping or EQing...
So a good EQ is very much essential in a dedicated DAP IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #232 of 1,931
There is no perfect headphone or DAP out there IMO. People like me can't go trying everything (I don't have an option to try a few here in India in the first place) in the market to see which suits me better.
Get the one which ever is closest to your taste and adjust perfectly to your taste..be it pad swaping or AMP module swaping or EQing...
So a good EQ is very much essential in a dedicated DAP IMO.
Totally agree! What is really the point of having an eq if it does not work as intended ( Fiio here)? I would be pissed if I purchased a new car and the air conditioning did not work as it should. Since Fiio cannot seem to get this right ( yet they still promote this +12db to -12db bull with their eq) they why bother putting an eq into the device?

To also state that if you need to eq than you have the wrong equipment, what a silly statement!

Everybody’s taste and hearing are different. Correct me if I am wrong, but headphones are not made to suit my taste, but for the masses. Trying out every single iem in the market is impossible, however there may be the perfect sounding non eq’d IEM’s out there but I am yet to find them and possibly not afford them. The option to add or subtract a dB or two here and there suits me fine, and the feature is there for this reason. Just like the old bass and treble controls we had before many of us were born.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #233 of 1,931
I wish to agree with those that say the Fiio EQ is hot garbage. :) When I first got my M11, I thought about sending it back because it sounded so bad (compared to what I had expected in my mind). I put it in USB-DAC mode and used the EQ settings from my computer and instantly fell in love with the sound of the balanced output on headphones that I knew very well. Shortly after that, I bought the Neutron app and it's been fantastic ever since!

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #234 of 1,931
I wish to agree with those that say the Fiio EQ is hot garbage. :) When I first got my M11, I thought about sending it back because it sounded so bad (compared to what I had expected in my mind). I put it in USB-DAC mode and used the EQ settings from my computer and instantly fell in love with the sound of the balanced output on headphones that I knew very well. Shortly after that, I bought the Neutron app and it's been fantastic ever since!
Do you have EQ settings that you can share that to you make the M11 sound as good as it does? Would be interesting to try them and hear the difference.

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #235 of 1,931
I have a dozen different EQ settings, sometimes multiples for each headphone depending on what I feel like hearing that day. I usually look up the response for the headphone and create a baseline around the Harman curve and then I tweak the bass up and slightly adjust a couple other frequency ranges if they don't suit my tastes. For example, the settings for my Aryas don't sound very good on my Z1Rs and the settings for my P1s sound awful on everything else. :) Most of my EQs sound too bright on my HD800s so that one has its own specific settings.

It seems difficult to recommend an EQ setting to someone unless you have the same headphones. I tend to follow these rules:

- Harman curve as baseline
- boost bass up by 8 to 10dB depending on how bass heavy the headphone is on its own. Make sure frequency gain is crossing 0dB by 200Hz.
- Sometimes giving a couple dB boost at 1-2KHz unless it is a loud spot on a particular headphone.
- Usually a dip below 0dB to some level, depending on headphone, between 4-6KHz
- A high shelf of a few dB or more above 10KHz unless the headphone is super bright already.
- Preamp gain of -6dB with auto-level correction against clipping.

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #237 of 1,931
I really do not get why EQ is such important from that much people.
I have never EQ my Fiio devices and I am really happy with the sound I get with my headphones.
If you never had a threesome then you will never really know.

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #239 of 1,931
The can you explain what is the goal of alter the sound signature of a headphone?
I personally buy a headphone for its personality and I do not want to alter it.
Some people are obsessive tweakers, some people like plug and play, some do a bit of both. It's as varied as the hobby itself. If you plug in your headphones and are happy with the sound, you don't need EQ. If EQ helps, great. It's a tool - use it or don't use it, it's up to you.

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #240 of 1,931
The can you explain what is the goal of alter the sound signature of a headphone?
I personally buy a headphone for its personality and I do not want to alter it.
You mean you eq by buying different amps , dacs , headphone , music format , ear pads , iem tips instead of using a eq ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back