[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Oct 8, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #6,871 of 9,288
To me it seems that the biggest difference between players tend to be the software and features/functionality, not so much the sound quality. i.e the gap in sound quality between an iPod and the M11 is not as big as the gap between features such as multiple digital and analogue outputs, balanced outputs, bluetooth receiver functionality, etc etc
You're not going to win any 'my DAP is better than your DAP' arguments around here with that sort of experienced logic :wink:

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #6,872 of 9,288
That’s easily the most balanced and straightforward response I’ve read anywhere. Thank you.

For me an ‘upgrade’ over the already excellent M11 would need to be substantial, not incremental. So possibly an M15/Pro or an as-yet unknown device down the line. Though I’d like to get at least a year or two of life out of the M11, by which time there’ll be options aplenty judging by the pace of progress in this market.

Just to make the point, I’m currently testing a ‘flagship’ kilobuck dap from a few years back, the AR-M2, and aside from its obviously excellent SQ (with some IEMs) the UI and software is antiquated and buggy by comparison to the M11.

Things move fast and jumping to every new ship that sails by is the surest way to ruin.
I want to share my thoughts (my subjective opinion). You can stay with one device for a year, two, three, and in the future purchase a new device at the full market price, leaving the old device with you, or you can sell the old device, but given the useful life, you can sell at a much lower price due to possible external damage received over the long life of the device, plus the battery over time reduces the efficiency of its work and, in aggregate, by selling the device, you will receive a much smaller amount of money than the one for which This unit was purchased at the beginning of sales. Or you can do it as follows - using the device for half a year, you can buy something new, more promising in terms of sound and functionality, but since the device is only half a year, the sale price on the secondary market will not differ significantly from the purchase price, therefore that a device that has appeared on the market relatively recently will be in great demand in the secondary market than if you sell it after a year or two, when other, more advanced devices will occupy the market. Therefore, selling now, in fact, a new device at a price close to the market and adding a small part of the money to the received amount of money, you can buy something new if you wish. Thus, you can switch from device to device without unnecessary financial investments and regularly receive new emotions, new impressions of the new sound of new devices. But, if you really like the device, then no one forbids using it until death do you part :dizzy_face:

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #6,873 of 9,288
I want to share my thoughts (my subjective opinion). You can stay with one device for a year, two, three, and in the future purchase a new device at the full market price, leaving the old device with you, or you can sell the old device, but given the useful life, you can sell at a much lower price due to possible external damage received over the long life of the device, plus the battery over time reduces the efficiency of its work and, in aggregate, by selling the device, you will receive a much smaller amount of money than the one for which This unit was purchased at the beginning of sales. Or you can do it as follows - using the device for half a year, you can buy something new, more promising in terms of sound and functionality, but since the device is only half a year, the sale price on the secondary market will not differ significantly from the purchase price, therefore that a device that has appeared on the market relatively recently will be in great demand in the secondary market than if you sell it after a year or two, when other, more advanced devices will occupy the market. Therefore, selling now, in fact, a new device at a price close to the market and adding a small part of the money to the received amount of money, you can buy something new if you wish. Thus, you can switch from device to device without unnecessary financial investments and regularly receive new emotions, new impressions of the new sound of new devices. But, if you really like the device, then no one forbids using it until death do you part :dizzy_face:
I don't disagree with you here, it's the strategy I used to get where I am with my desktop gear. The problem comes in when you're in a fast-moving market like DAPs and IEMs.

Here's an example: I buy DAP A for $500. Then I sell DAP A for $350 and buy DAP B for $700. Then I sell DAP B for $550 and buy DAP C for $900. Total time between buying DAP A and DAP C is less than a year, but instead of waiting and buying DAP C for $900, I've gone through the aggravation and wasted time to spent $1200 when I could have bought DAP D for $1200 and gone straight to high-end without the hassle.

For me the M11 hit the price/performance sweet spot at $450 for DAPs that would have cost twice that a year ago (and still do). Until there's a compelling reason to upgrade (DAP D in the example above), anything else is just a waste of money for very slight benefits. If you have the money and WANT a higher-end DAP, buy it. If you don't and have to work your way up, just appreciate there's a real cost associated with that too.

Another thing to consider is with all the chopping and changing you're constantly setting up new gear and going over the same music to hear how 'different' it sounds because, you know, you spent the money so it must! Instead you could be discovering new music to enjoy. And yes, I know the gear is the 'hobby' part of the hobby, so unless music is more important to you than the gear, by all means keep doing what you're doing.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #6,874 of 9,288
Woah there M8. How does me asking for an option to allow for a scroll bar somehow cause you a problem? It's not likely to happen so ease up :)

PS... I use Roon on PC and there's a scroll bar, hardly surprisingly, and also is extremely quick using arrow keys in any case. ALSO i can type in for example 07 and go straight to albums 07000 and above. And yes I'm quite aware of the search box in the fiio app thanks.

I like to scroll through albums in date of acquisition order and numbering them is the only sure fire way I've found to do that.

I think that I found a way which it should work for both of us, and you can check it by yourself in Solid Explorer app. It has a regular slider but when sliding it shows a bubble with current visible letter on top of a list (probably digits or other marks also) and with continuing slides no skips to a next letter but normaly scrolls down the list, and when the next letter is on a top of a list the bubble letter is changed to it.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #6,875 of 9,288
I don't disagree with you here, it's the strategy I used to get where I am with my desktop gear. The problem comes in when you're in a fast-moving market like DAPs and IEMs.

Here's an example: I buy DAP A for $500. Then I sell DAP A for $350 and buy DAP B for $700. Then I sell DAP B for $550 and buy DAP C for $900. Total time between buying DAP A and DAP C is less than a year, but instead of waiting and buying DAP C for $900, I've gone through the aggravation and wasted time to spent $1200 when I could have bought DAP D for $1200 and gone straight to high-end without the hassle.

For me the M11 hit the price/performance sweet spot at $450 for DAPs that would have cost twice that a year ago (and still do). Until there's a compelling reason to upgrade (DAP D in the example above), anything else is just a waste of money for very slight benefits. If you have the money and WANT a higher-end DAP, buy it. If you don't and have to work your way up, just appreciate there's a real cost associated with that too.

Another thing to consider is with all the chopping and changing you're constantly setting up new gear and going over the same music to hear how 'different' it sounds because, you know, you spent the money so it must! Instead you could be discovering new music to enjoy. And yes, I know the gear is the 'hobby' part of the hobby, so unless music is more important to you than the gear, by all means keep doing what you're doing.
This is logical! But life is fleeting, I don’t want to wait a long time to get a top-end device right away. Therefore, if there is an opportunity to get something better, I try to implement this at a given time.
I can take LPGT or SP1000 and enjoy the sound of the top segment of portable devices, but I'm not sure that these devices are really worth the money. I believe that Fiio produces very good devices at a very good price and when I purchase the flagship, it will be the flagship of Fiio.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #6,876 of 9,288
To me it seems that the biggest difference between players tend to be the software and features/functionality, not so much the sound quality. i.e the gap in sound quality between an iPod and the M11 is not as big as the gap between features such as multiple digital and analogue outputs, balanced outputs, bluetooth receiver functionality, etc etc
Comparing the sound of the iPod with the M11 looks insulting)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #6,877 of 9,288
This is logical! But life is fleeting, I don’t want to wait a long time to get a top-end device right away. Therefore, if there is an opportunity to get something better, I try to implement this at a given time.
I can take LPGT or SP1000 and enjoy the sound of the top segment of portable devices, but I'm not sure that these devices are really worth the money. I believe that Fiio produces very good devices at a very good price and when I purchase the flagship, it will be the flagship of Fiio.
I'm also a FiiO fan, though not married to FiiO (if someone else decides to produce the same level of device for the same price). Which is why I'll likely skip the Pro knowing the M15 series is coming. If I was still using the M9 then a jump to the Pro makes sense.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #6,878 of 9,288
I think that I found a way which it should work for both of us, and you can check it by yourself in Solid Explorer app. It has a regular slider but when sliding it shows a bubble with current visible letter on top of a list (probably digits or other marks also) and with continuing slides no skips to a next letter but normaly scrolls down the list, and when the next letter is on a top of a list the bubble letter is changed to it.
:) Great. Now to get Fiio to implement it ... :)

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #6,879 of 9,288
Comparison of the sound of the iPod with the M11 sounds insulting)
He's not far wrong; the iPod was and is an excellent sounding device, and so many people are still using their fancy DAPs to stream lossy Spotify music or play MP3s or AAC files with cheap IEMs and headphones. If you want to make the most of the better audio hardware at least use lossless files and good quality wired IEMs for a start. Otherwise you're not gaining much over your phone or an iPod.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #6,880 of 9,288
Dear friend,

Would you mind sending one of this AAC file to us for check? As for the scanning problem, please also send a log file to us:
How to grab the log files from M11: https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/239924.html

Thanks in advanced!

Best regards
Sent the logs and sample aac file to support@fiio.com. It's about 6MB of attachment data, google didn't complain when I sent it so hopefully you will receive it.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #6,881 of 9,288

:) Great. Now to get Fiio to implement it ... :)

@FiiO, @WianFiiO :wink:

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #6,882 of 9,288
He's not far wrong; the iPod was and is an excellent sounding device, and so many people are still using their fancy DAPs to stream lossy Spotify music or play MP3s or AAC files with cheap IEMs and headphones. If you want to make the most of the better audio hardware at least use lossless files and good quality wired IEMs for a start. Otherwise you're not gaining much over your phone or an iPod.
Yes. I've never quite understood this. On a sort of side-note why use a good DAP with a Bluetooth dongle like the BTR3? Is it any better than using a LDAC capable phone? That's a genuine question, not rhetorical!

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #6,883 of 9,288
Pretty sure its its other way round with slot 2 being them slot with full speed and slot 1 been the speed reduced one to make it more compatible.
Thanks for the info but it really doesn't matter which slot I use same looooooong load time..!!
Info from Fiio:-
Following consultation with Lexar coupled with further testing and investigation, the engineering team have identified the issue and the solution to the issue.

1. 512GB micro SD cards are recently introduced on the market, the offering from some of brands requires higher than average transient current when operating at high speed. The Exynos 7872 natively supports only a single external memory expansion, on the M11. The micro SD slot 1 is expanded via a voltage level conversation chip, as such when performing high speed operation on 512GB micro SD cards, abnormalities might occur for brands which requires higher than average transient current.

2. Based on the above, we are releasing firmware 1.0.3 (*find the download link and instructions at the end of the text), through the lowering of the read/write speed on the micro SD slot 1 to reduce the transient current required, thereby preventing the occurrence of abnormality.

3. The lowering the read/write speed on the micro SD slot 1, will only result in a slight decrease in the data transfer rate and will not affect any functionality.

4. If you are using a single micro SD card, it is suggested that the card be inserted in the micro SD slot 2 for optimal performance.

5. Considering the perforation of high capacity micro SD cards, a single SD card slot should suffice the requirement of most users, moreover, majority of the offerings in the market today also sports of a single SD card slot design. In order to avoid disparity in the data transfer rate causing concerns, we are considering the possibility of removing the dual micro SD card slot design in future batches of the M11.

6. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused, should you require our attention, kindly contact our support team at support@fiio.com for assistance.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #6,884 of 9,288
Yes. I've never quite understood this. On a sort of side-note why use a good DAP with a Bluetooth dongle like the BTR3? Is it any better than using a LDAC capable phone? That's a genuine question, not rhetorical!
Excellent point. If I mainly used BT I wouldn't bother with a DAP. Modern phones are much better at BT connections, and all the audio hardware is in the BT headphone or dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back