[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,531 of 1,922
Doesn't the X7 II have the same equalizer or at least a comparable octave equalizer? I guess the result will be very similar if not identical. Of course your ears (= your personal HRTF) may differ from mine, so some deviations are allowed. :slight_smile:

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,532 of 1,922
I have tried the filter that emphasizes the low end and I would say the jury is still out. The treble seems to be softened somewhat and yet I am still hearing these peaky, unpleasant spikes in some vocals and percussion instruments. I’m going to leave the red filters on and play around with some of the different tips. Curious to see if I can iron this out to my satisfaction or if these will go back up on the used market. Stay tuned.
the treble was too hot for me originally as well. i tried the filters and didnt notice much of a difference.
i went through all of the tips i had (the tips that came with the iem didnt work well for me) and finally found some that improved isolation and tamed the treble just enough.
unfortunately i have no idea what brand they are or where they came from (i put all of my unused tips in a a container together) they are similar to Spinfits but i dont think they are.
ultimately from my experience tips mattered by far the most when it came to changing the sound of these things.

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,533 of 1,922
the treble was too hot for me originally as well. i tried the filters and didnt notice much of a difference.
i went through all of the tips i had (the tips that came with the iem didnt work well for me) and finally found some that improved isolation and tamed the treble just enough.
unfortunately i have no idea what brand they are or where they came from (i put all of my unused tips in a a container together) they are similar to Spinfits but i dont think they are.
ultimately from my experience tips mattered by far the most when it came to changing the sound of these things.

Thanks a lot for this response. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one finding the high end of this to be overly hot. I'm experimenting right now with the equalizer on my Radsone ES100. There's a preset called Treble Reducer that looks like this. It takes a little of the edge off but the difference is still pretty subtle:

equalizer.PNG

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #1,534 of 1,922
Loving the FH7. Not finding any issues with treble etc... and as they have venting I can wear them for ages and ages. Using the spinfit tips.

after an hour of listening the treble is affecting me. It’s definitely too much.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #1,535 of 1,922
is anyone else having issues with cables fitting? i have tried 4 other cables, ibasso and audiosense, and none seem to click in no matter how hard i push. they will sit ok for a bit but eventually the cable falls out. using the stock cable i get a much more secure connection and there is an audible click.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,536 of 1,922
20200202_032155.jpg

M15 vs DX220 sound impressions round 1

Setups: M15/DX220 (with AMP8) > EA Cleopatra > Hidition Violet, both using 4.4mm output.

Songs tried: Various songs from Lorde, Melissa Menago, Linkin Park, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac.

Signature-wise, DX220 is neutral veering slightly towards a V, while M15 is neutral-warm. The most obvious difference is in the presentation. DX220 is more immediate and dynamic, livelier. M15 is musical, less in your face, more spacious and relaxed.

For note characteristics, DX220 has a sharper leading edge while M15 goes in softer and mellower, with a rounder decay. Note thickness is similar. Tone-wise, M15 has a sweet, luscious, warm-tinged and accurate timbre with very realistic vocal rendition. DX220 has a brighter edge but is shoutier and raspier in vocals.

Detail levels for both are top tier, but DX220 has more apparent macro-detail and tends to push details forward. Note texture is more appreciable. M15's softer hits mean you'll have to strain a bit to hear the similar details the DX220 gave, but it doesn't mean they're missing.

While M15 lacks in dynamics, it makes up for with refinement levels, air and micro-detail rendering. Nothing sounds congested or muddied. It takes on a very musical, euphonic signature that's technically sound as well.

Bass repsonse is very similar, with DX220 having slightly more texture and M15 having more punch. M15 easily takes the mids. I like both trebles, where DX220 is livelier and brighter while M15 is more coherent and accurate.

M15 has a wider, deeper soundstage and better imaging capability. The background is blacker and more stable than the DX220, and micro-details are easily heard despite the smoother tuning.

I really like both and would have a hard time deciding the winner in terms of pure sound, but here's why I prefer the M15. Faster and more responsive UI, better screen, much longer battery life, no need to switch amps.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,538 of 1,922
This thread helped me to buy this - I read pages and pages of it. Having received it, so glad I did. Thanks guys!
Yeah I had never even heard of these until my friend invited me to try them. It took about 30 seconds listening to a song I was familiar with to convince me to ditch my Tin T4 for these. Bought them off my friend that same day, though comparing IEMs I got for under $100 against these isn't exactly fair.

For these, I've been using the normal(balanced?) filters with the included spinfit tips off of the 2.5mm balanced out of my ES100 and they're fantastic. I seem to be lucky in that I have never found them treble to be too harsh. Contrary to the T4, I actually preferred the Comply tips with wax filters for the reduced treble, over the Dekoni Bulletz foam tips. The Dekoni's that I normally use on the T4 somehow killed the bass on the FH7. With my experience, it seems that the tips seem to change the sound the most out of anything else that I've tried. I really wish there extra large spinfit tips though, the large ones don't fit quite as snug as my large Dekoni tips and have a tendency to start coming out of my ear if I walk too fast.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #1,539 of 1,922
Yeah I had never even heard of these until my friend invited me to try them. It took about 30 seconds listening to a song I was familiar with to convince me to ditch my Tin T4 for these. Bought them off my friend that same day, though comparing IEMs I got for under $100 against these isn't exactly fair.

For these, I've been using the normal(balanced?) filters with the included spinfit tips off of the 2.5mm balanced out of my ES100 and they're fantastic. I seem to be lucky in that I have never found them treble to be too harsh. Contrary to the T4, I actually preferred the Comply tips with wax filters for the reduced treble, over the Dekoni Bulletz foam tips. The Dekoni's that I normally use on the T4 somehow killed the bass on the FH7. With my experience, it seems that the tips seem to change the sound the most out of anything else that I've tried. I really wish there extra large spinfit tips though, the large ones don't fit quite as snug as my large Dekoni tips and have a tendency to start coming out of my ear if I walk too fast.
Dear user,

If the eartips come with the FH7 still fail to meet your need, you could try to find some third party eartips. The size of the sound tube of the FH7 is 5.8mm, so you can select ear tips whose inner diameter is between 4 to 5mm.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,540 of 1,922
I don't know if it can be an age issue (I am 42) or what else it may be, but I am surprised to see so many comments in this thread about the exaggerated treble of FH7. I have tried 2 different units before buying my own, and with none I have a problem with the treble. In fact, in many albums I would need more treble.

I was thinking of the Fearless S8F as an option with more detail than the FH7, maintaining a good and musical sound. I don't know if it's a right decision or I'm wrong.

Feb 15, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #1,541 of 1,922
I don't know if it can be an age issue (I am 42) or what else it may be, but I am surprised to see so many comments in this thread about the exaggerated treble of FH7. I have tried 2 different units before buying my own, and with none I have a problem with the treble. In fact, in many albums I would need more treble.

I was thinking of the Fearless S8F as an option with more detail than the FH7, maintaining a good and musical sound. I don't know if it's a right decision or I'm wrong.

I think it's volume related. I listen a lowish volumes and like you have no issue whatsoever with treble. If I turn the volume up to a point where it hurts though the overall sound signature gets very "hot", my solution, turn it down.

I only have to observe others at work and walking around, I can hear their music from their earbuds, IEM's and closed back headphones to know that a lot of people listen too loud, but its their ears.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,542 of 1,922
I think it's volume related. I listen a lowish volumes and like you have no issue whatsoever with treble. If I turn the volume up to a point where it hurts though the overall sound signature gets very "hot", my solution, turn it down.

I only have to observe others at work and walking around, I can hear their music from their earbuds, IEM's and closed back headphones to know that a lot of people listen too loud, but its their ears.
From my experience it is more than just volume, it is the volume as it relates to the headroom of the dac and amp that is being used.

Any of my iem's response depends on what I am using with them. My btr1k and brt3 are fine at lower volume but if I want the same quality of sound reproduction at a higher volume I need to use my fiio q5. The quality difference has less to do with the iem and more to do with what is processing the sound.

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,545 of 1,922
I think FH7 is a very musical IEM, and now I want a detail beast (but I want it sounds well too). That’s the reason I have been thinking about S8F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back