[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jan 19, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,517 of 1,922
I've had that happen, not with the FH7 though. I would try cleaning the nozzle and tip bore with a microfibre cloth dampened with some Isopropanol Alcohol first. If that doesn't help then in the past a wrap of double sided tape over the nozzle before fitting the tip has fixed the problem for me.

It could also be that the tip bore has stretched a new set of tips will fix it in that case.
I wouldn't use Double sided tape. Adhesive will be liquefied by oils and will spread all over, might even get inside the grill. Order thin 4mm silicon tubing instead, to put on top of the nozzle.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,518 of 1,922
Tried the ones that come with the set and that didn’t do it. Thanks though.
Can you tell if harshness is in the lower or higher trebble? If it's in the lower, then you should try 4 core spc cable. I have used cheap ones from Nicehck, fdbro, Trn. (price doesn't matter here the FR does) You should expect smaller sound stage(which is fine as FH7 sound stage IMHO is too large) 4 core spc IME, boosts only upper treble so harsh part 4-8K will recess. Cables affect this iems sound quite a lot.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,519 of 1,922
Can you tell if harshness is in the lower or higher trebble? If it's in the lower, then you should try 4 core spc cable. I have used cheap ones from Nicehck, fdbro, Trn. (price doesn't matter here the FR does) You should expect smaller sound stage(which is fine as FH7 sound stage IMHO is too large) 4 core spc IME, boosts only upper treble so harsh part 4-8K will recess. Cables affect this iems sound quite a lot.
Unless the cable is a bad design (ie high impedance) it won’t do a jot of difference. I can show you effect of half dozen different cables (graphed) and they don’t change the FR at all. Changing tips or angle on insertion will alter FR. A cable won’t.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,520 of 1,922
Unless the cable is a bad design (ie high impedance) it won’t do a jot of difference. I can show you effect of half dozen different cables (graphed) and they don’t change the FR at all. Changing tips or angle on insertion will alter FR. A cable won’t.
...:rolling_eyes:
Bass filter also may help. It muffles trebble BA. I found that I lose to much upper treble with it though..
Also, we've gone over this before and I will repeat myself saying that graphs don't have enough resolution to show all the peaks. You never know which one some people sensitive to.
I've used Fiio FH5 cable with it and it takes care of some of the harshness but makes bass to loose to my taste. I will retest it with Nicehck 4 core spc tomorrow and will get back to comment.
Some people are gifted with hearing ability to adapt rapidly so they don't notice difference unless it's too big to adapt. I used to be that way but not anymore

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,521 of 1,922
...:rolling_eyes:
Bass filter also may help. It muffles trebble BA. I found that I lose to much upper treble with it though..
Also, we've gone over this before and I will repeat myself saying that graphs don't have enough resolution to show all the peaks. You never know which one some people sensitive to.
I've used Fiio FH5 cable with it and it takes care of some of the harshness but makes bass to loose to my taste. I will retest it with Nicehck 4 core spc tomorrow and will get back to comment.
Some people are gifted with hearing ability to adapt rapidly so they don't notice difference unless it's too big to adapt. I used to be that way but not anymore

Yeah - check my sig .....
Sometimes, the truths are those things you want to hear, and sometimes what we call truths are habitual lies we're comfortable with.”

Graphs can show you frequency response variations down to fractions of a dB (depending on the measuring gear). Majority of humans don't have a show of getting things right within less than 1dB. the differences are simply inaudible when listening to real music. Most couldn't even tell the difference with straight tones. Not conjecture - fact. Yet those same people can tell the difference with a cable - when a change in angle of insertion or depth of insertion will make more difference (and definitely audible)? :worried: So what is the "cable difference" and what is other factors?

Yet we blithely tell people to get a different cable, and tell them it'll make a difference ...... ?

Dose of reality in aisle 3 please ......

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #1,522 of 1,922
I may have inadvertantly proven your point. What works for me may not work for everyone. So let's leave cables alone for now. Modding filter is more constructive as it will definitely make greater difference. I will experiment with it and see if anything interesting comes up. :beerchug:

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,523 of 1,922
I may have inadvertantly proven your point. What works for me may not work for everyone. So let's leave cables alone for now. Modding filter is more constructive as it will definitely make greater difference. I will experiment with it and see if anything interesting comes up. :beerchug:

Would be really interested in any filter mods you come up with. So please post them :)

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #1,524 of 1,922
I have tried the filter that emphasizes the low end and I would say the jury is still out. The treble seems to be softened somewhat and yet I am still hearing these peaky, unpleasant spikes in some vocals and percussion instruments. I’m going to leave the red filters on and play around with some of the different tips. Curious to see if I can iron this out to my satisfaction or if these will go back up on the used market. Stay tuned.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,525 of 1,922
Tried the ones that come with the set and that didn’t do it. Thanks though.

I had a huge problem with the highs and the Comply tips helped a great deal. Ultimately I wound up selling the FH7 and sticking with the FH5. I couldn’t tame the highs enough for them to be enjoyable. I tried for months but couldn’t convince myself.
The FH5 is bring me great joy despite the smaller sound stage. The bass is fantastic and highs are just right.
The comply tips may be enough for you to tame the highs. I am just really sensitive to treble so your results may vary.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,526 of 1,922
I had a huge problem with the highs and the Comply tips helped a great deal. Ultimately I wound up selling the FH7 and sticking with the FH5. I couldn’t tame the highs enough for them to be enjoyable. I tried for months but couldn’t convince myself.
The FH5 is bring me great joy despite the smaller sound stage. The bass is fantastic and highs are just right.
The comply tips may be enough for you to tame the highs. I am just really sensitive to treble so your results may vary.

This is very useful, thank you. So, can anybody tell me what size of the Comply tips fit the nozzle on these IEM‘s? Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,529 of 1,922
I have both the FH5 and FH7. I do like the FH5 if I use Brooko's EQ, which is -4dB at 2kHz and -2dB at 1kHz. Does anyone have an EQ for the FH7 to lessen the highs?
I posted this a while ago as a response to your question, but you don't seem to have taken notice.

10411131.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back