[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 13, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #317 of 1,922
In my opinion, the Micro BL is darker sounding than the ES100. I just tried the same test you mentioned and got the same results you described. I'm not sure if this is related to power or just the nature of the source. The FH7 sounds similar from my V35 / ES100 / Dragonfly Red, but somewhat darker from the iDSD Micro BL. All of these differences are pretty subtle to my ears, I enjoy the FH7 from everything so far.

Good information, thanks.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #320 of 1,922
Ok.Maybe thats what im hearing on some tracks.Or it might be poor recordings/over compressed ( due to the loudness war).

One track that i hear some noise on is Angel by sarah mclachlan.But on the "city of angels"soundtrack,i dont hear it on this same track.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #321 of 1,922
I'm so in love with this plug.

DSC_1827_result.jpg

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #323 of 1,922
Ok.Maybe thats what im hearing on some tracks.Or it might be poor recordings/over compressed ( due to the loudness war).

One track that i hear some noise on is Angel by sarah mclachlan.But on the "city of angels"soundtrack,i dont hear it on this same track.

So I listened to Sarah McLachlan’s Angel and didn’t hear any noise or sibilance. Sounded great on the FH7. I don’t have a copy of City of Angels, I just have one track from it so I couldn’t compare but really no noise on the one from surfacing.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #324 of 1,922
Check your seal. Lack of/underwhelming bass is almost always related to seal. When I first got the FH5 I was shocked at how lean and thin they sounded. Then I tried the bass tips. And foam tips. Problem solved. Tip size also makes a huge difference with these IEMs. If you’ve done everything and hey still lack big bass impact, then I guess what people are saying about the FH7’s more neutral “audiophile” tuning is true.

Thanks, tried the bass filters and bass tips and they give the most bass of all. Tried comply ones I had, but did not like the lack of treble with those on. The included Spinfit tips along with red bass filters seem like a good balance.

Do you recommend any specific tips that I should buy?

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #325 of 1,922
Thanks, tried the bass filters and bass tips and they give the most bass of all. Tried comply ones I had, but did not like the lack of treble with those on. The included Spinfit tips along with red bass filters seem like a good balance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SYMBIO-Wa-...Universal-Ear-Tips-Shure-Westone/123795420594

I had originally purchased these to use with my Westone but I recently sold that IEM so I figured I'd give them a try with the FH7. I get a better seal than with my spinfits and I really like the fit but they do (to my ear) tame the highs slightly. I think the trade-off is fine but particularly useful if I were out and about and I needed better isolation etc.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #326 of 1,922

My personal favorite is the JVC Spiral Dot. I use M size with the FH5, and MS with anything deeper. You have to fiddle a bit to get a good seal, but once you do it has the best balance it deep sub bass, wide stage and sparkly treble of all the tips I’ve tried. @DekoniAudio Bulletz are also excellent, better than Comply IMO.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #327 of 1,922
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SYMBIO-Wa-...Universal-Ear-Tips-Shure-Westone/123795420594

I had originally purchased these to use with my Westone but I recently sold themat IEM so I figured I'd give them a try with the FH7. I get a better seal than with my spinfits and I really like the fit but they do (to my ear) tame the highs slightly. I think the trade-off is fine but particularly useful if I were out and about and I needed better isolation etc.
I also got a pair of these but preferred the Spiral Dot with the FH5 at least. From what I hear the FH7 needs the highs tamed, so that’s maybe a good thing? (Unless you like your extended/brighter treble?)

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #328 of 1,922
I am still hearing the sibilance. I have a fresh ripped Norah Jones CD in WAV format through a Q5 and its pretty noticeable. It may be just my hearing. I am not completely convinced it’s me but I will keep experimenting.
Whats the recording and year?

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #330 of 1,922
The recording is Norah Jones “ Cold Cold Heart” from 2002. It’s ripped
From CD to FLAC. But honestly I think it’s me. I can hear it in my other headphones which I didn’t before.
The FH7 are quite bright in the treble and can be unforgiving depending on the music you are listening to and that is not just you. I have it too and have spent a lot of time trying out the different filters and the LC-2.5D upgrade cable. Funny enough, I find the open 'High Boost' (green) filters the smoothest option with the stock cable. With the upgrade cable I ended up with the 'Bass Boost (red) filters as the best solution, mainly because I enjoyed the extra warmth. Even then the treble always keeps a hint of brightness and some people will be more sensitive to that than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back