[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 14, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #348 of 1,922
Ha, gotta love this place, you guys crack me up with your incessant cable rolling - is there a record for shortest time between unboxing a new iem and swapping it's cable?

In my case, I was only 'borrowing' the cable on the FH7 to try it out on my Atlas. I really like the FH7 cable and am quite happy with it!

Although I do have a balanced cable ordered that will be here in about 2 weeks.

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #349 of 1,922
How are the iBasso IT04 compared to FH7?

Bear with me as this is from memory (sold the IT04 to fund the FH7) and I'm not a seasoned enough audio comparison professional (haha). Also keep in mind that I had the IT04 about a month and have had the FH7 for about 3 full days. Granted, I have been running the FH7 through a lot of my own cobbled together (borrowed/copied or improvised) playlists over the last 3 days to build an impression. I worry about nailing myself down with conclusions when I don't have one set to do a real side by side.

~

The FH7 seems to fit better. There was something about the way the IT04 sat in my ear that didn't work well. Shape/size maybe? They're both gorgeous. The IT04 was a real looker. Great blue + black pattern that caught the light well. The accessories weren't too far off but I think the FH7 wins except with the cable. I prefer the CB12s. I am using and do prefer the bass tips so far. I like the reference tips as well and the treble tips were my least favorite.

The real question is regarding the sound, I'm sure. So far, if my memory is serving me correctly, the FH7 does more of just about everything but it doesn't image as well/specifically. Or it hasn't yet? There were a few times the IT04 gave me an impression of someone standing in a very specific spot playing a specific instrument and not just someone over there in a vicinity. This was my only wow moment with the IT04 but it was one that made me really appreciate the set. The treble from the FH7 is not as smooth as the IT04. I'm not sure if that's because of a different level of extension or detail and I hesitate to call it sibilant or irritating (to me at least). The IT04 wasn't a completely relaxed listen but its highs were..more polite? The FH7 gives a little more visceral rumble and extends slightly better with its bass. I think it may have faster bass recovery too as noted on tracks with repeated bass bubbles/pops/rumbles (if that makes sense?).

I realized as I was writing this that I'm not very good at focusing on mids, although I love things about specific singers and mid-range sounds. I'm judgmental if the mids sound bad and there's no good excuse (brain wiring?) but I'm just plain terrible about paying close enough attention to vocals/mids to give a detailed report. I'll have to work on that.

One thing I would like to also note is that, while I do think I noticed differences, I've really come to feel like the margins are pretty small. I know that might very well be where preferences live but if you staked me to the ground and made me choose between the IEMs I've heard in this price range so far, well, I'm not going to claim to be blown away by one or the other or disappointed by one specifically such that I couldn't live with it or without it. Between these two I would take the FH7 at this point because I enjoy its bass. For now.

The gods of the audio hobby give a throaty laugh knowing another fool searches for the holy grail of headphones.....

Here are some tracks used repeatedly so far. Some I only learned about when I started doing my own comparisons/went down the headphone rabbit hole and some are old standards from my library but I like to use them for testing/comparison. There's a smattering of flac mixed in with iTunes downloads and then some Spotify picks/playlist samples. I'm listening on an iBasso DX150 with Amp7.

Amber Rubarth: Tundra and Novocaine
AC/DC: Jailbreak
Chris Cornell: Songbook (No specific track. I switch it up)
Deadmau5: 4x4=12 (No specific track)
Dido: Mad Love
Depeche Mode: Live in Berlin - Enjoy the Silence
Fleetwood Mac: The Dance - Big Love and The Chain
Greta Van Fleet: Age of Man
Kings of Leon: Arizona
Neil Young: Harvest Moon
Muse: Hysteria (One of my favorite bands)
Natalie Merchant: Equestrienne and The Blind Men and the Elephant
Prince: Let's Go Crazy and When Doves Cry
Regina Spektor: Live in London - Folding Chair and Hotel Song
Enya: Orinoco Flow
Lil Wayne: A Milli
Lorn: Acid Rain
Bjork: Hunter
Pharaoh Sanders: You've Got to have Freedom
Darkside: Paper Trails
John Martyn: Small Hours

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #350 of 1,922
Bear with me as this is from memory (sold the IT04 to fund the FH7) and I'm not a seasoned enough audio comparison professional (haha). Also keep in mind that I had the IT04 about a month and have had the FH7 for about 3 full days. Granted, I have been running the FH7 through a lot of my own cobbled together (borrowed/copied or improvised) playlists over the last 3 days to build an impression. I worry about nailing myself down with conclusions when I don't have one set to do a real side by side.
Wow, thank you for such a thorough comparison!
iBasso IT04 uses Graphene DD and also has BAs so I was curious how those fared. I like FH7 vocals and highs but missing the bass which could likely be due to eartips not providing adequate seal. I will try with the JVC Spiral tips once I receive them to see if that improves the Bass. And yes I prefer the Bass tips as well since it gives a good signature to the sound.

Jun 15, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #351 of 1,922
The recording is Norah Jones “ Cold Cold Heart” from 2002. It’s ripped
From CD to FLAC. But honestly I think it’s me. I can hear it in my other headphones which I didn’t before.

I have the same recording (ripped from CD). If its the Bluenote version (link to DR data-base), Cold, Cold Heart is track 3, and yes there is some sibilance in the recording, but I'm not finding it really offensive, but I do tend to listen at reasonably low volume levels (FH7 plus M11). Suggestion would be to:
- check tips, and maybe try different options - need to amke sure you're getting complete seal.
- if peaky - make sure you are using red filter
- if still an issue, you may need to rely on some EQ (usually adjustment to ~6-9 kHz will control sibilant recordings).

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #352 of 1,922
Wow, thank you for such a thorough comparison!
iBasso IT04 uses Graphene DD and also has BAs so I was curious how those fared. I like FH7 vocals and highs but missing the bass which could likely be due to eartips not providing adequate seal. I will try with the JVC Spiral tips once I receive them to see if that improves the Bass. And yes I prefer the Bass tips as well since it gives a good signature to the sound.
Hmm, if you can't generate enough bass with the bass tips or foam tips I'm not sure the Spirals will help. I love the Spirals for their overall sound balance, but if I want big bass, the M bass tips or FiiO foam tips give the most quantity, even more than the Spirals.

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #353 of 1,922
Hmm, if you can't generate enough bass with the bass tips or foam tips I'm not sure the Spirals will help. I love the Spirals for their overall sound balance, but if I want big bass, the M bass tips or FiiO foam tips give the most quantity, even more than the Spirals.

Thanks, the foam tips did not do the trick for me but Fiio red bass M tips and red filters seem to bring the most bass out. I noticed I when I press on the IEM with my finger the Bass gets slightly more impactful so definitely I am not getting the perfect seal with these tips.

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #354 of 1,922
Ok, did anyone see the latest video by, Bad guy, good audio?
Chris talked about removing the screen for stock Fiio FH7's (I think, stock) nozzles?

For and I quote "cleared the haze" on the FH7's anyone try this if so, what do you think?

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #355 of 1,922
I have the same recording (ripped from CD). If its the Bluenote version (link to DR data-base), Cold, Cold Heart is track 3, and yes there is some sibilance in the recording, but I'm not finding it really offensive, but I do tend to listen at reasonably low volume levels (FH7 plus M11). Suggestion would be to:
- check tips, and maybe try different options - need to amke sure you're getting complete seal.
- if peaky - make sure you are using red filter
- if still an issue, you may need to rely on some EQ (usually adjustment to ~6-9 kHz will control sibilant recordings).
check this track with my SACD can't hear any sibilance. I use spin fit L size

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #356 of 1,922
I'm relatively new to the world of iems, and also not great at explaining sound...but here's my quick impressions after a couple of days:
  • Only iems I've owned before this week are Campfire Polaris v1, which I've had for over a year. The Polaris will be going up for sale soon, I prefer the FH7 in comfort and sound.
  • I just received Campfire Atlas today; I posted brief comparison on the Atlas thread, so I'll plagiarize myself here:
    • Compared to my Fiio FH7 (also new), the Atlas clearly have much more bass. The FH7 are much smoother sounding overall and the vocals are a bit more forward, while still providing excellent details. The Atlas has more punch and sounds more 'fun'. I think they are a great compliment to each other, the FH7 for relaxing and the Atlas for rocking out or more critical listening
    • Value - I paid about $350 more for the Atlas than I did for the FH7. I think they are both worth the price of admission. If I could only have one of them, I'd probably go with the FH7 since I have a nice desktop setup for when I want to listen critically. My main portable use is around bedtime when I'm trying to wind down for the day, and the FH7 are perfect for that.
  • The cable is fantastic, but I'm having a lot of issues with tangling. Still really nice, with L connector as standard. I have a Fiio 'D' cable coming, 4.4 all-silver.
  • I love having the 3 filters to select from, and they do make an audible difference. As with others on this thread, I've settled with the green (treble) filters. I liked the red (bass) filter also, but when I'm in a mood for that I'll just use the Atlas.
  • Packaging and accessories are incredible at this price point. I've tried 7 tips so far and am sort of settled on the medium 'bass' tips that are included.
  • My source is Fiio M11, which just arrived yesterday (I think it sounds great and is a tremendous bargain in this ridiculous hobby of ours)
I've inquired with ADV custom tips about creating custom tips for the FH7. They currently don't have them in their database, but they do have the FH5 so I'm hopeful they can do them. I sent them pictures of the FH7 as they requested, so I expect them to add it to their catalog soon.

How's the sub bass? Do the fh7 have even a bit of the Atlas rumble and low end fullness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back