FiiO E9 Review
Sep 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #1,263 of 1,324
Quote:
FiiO E9 is AB class amplifier as 99.9% amplifier on the market [AB works as A with a very small output currents].
Output is based on Texas Instruments TPA6102 integrated circuit, which use flying capacitor pump to generate negative voltage to avoid decoupling output capacitors - TI calls it "Direct Path". TPA6102 it's not a bad IC, and should have sufficient current for power even 32 ohm headphones with typical sensitivity, but FiiO E9 is not a good implementation of TPA6102.
My friend enjoys modified by me FiiO E9 with his AKG K702 (62 ohm) and Philips SHP9000 (32 ohm) and AKG K260 (600 ohm) and appreciates it almost as much as very decent A class amplifier, but stock FiiO E9 was truly unlistenable.

FiiO E9 has overcomplicated design [too much low quality op-amps], while FiiO E11 is (probably) only a one decent AD8397 op-amp with a volume control and chassis.

I think the E11 sounds MUCH better than the E9 WRT PRAT; to me the E9 sucks the life out of the music.  What modifications did your friend make to the E9?

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,265 of 1,324
Quote:
Or rather, what modifications did you make to your friends amplifier.

Finally, somebody hears and says it too. Thanks!

To make FiiO E9 something more than another electronic piece of garbage, not worth a time and money of any audiophile, first, I had to unsolder volume control mini PCB (very time consuming, not necessary task!!!), to be able to remove main PCB, because somebody (idiot? or for the purpose?) solder internal socket in wrong side of mini PCB of docking station, blocking further disassembling, and correct the situation to be able to remove main PCB freely in the future (I had swapped the place where this connector is: it was at docking station mini PCB, and I have put it on the main PCB).

Second I have to unsolder all three OPA2134, and place DIP-8 sockets. Two op-amps are required to work, third is for line-out (I think).
I've try few op-amps, always having two pieces of the same type. I think OPA2132 was the best (controlled bass, transient, but with not very clear highs) and OPA2107 (not so beat-precise but with clear, tube-like highs) was nice also, but I haven't at that moment LT1028, AD797, AD825, Intersil ISL55002, LT1358 which each one is even better for my ears, and other great (like OPA2111, OPA2228, OPA2227, LT1355), which I still don't have.

Stock OPA2134 was technical and totally soundless/"musicless", LE4562 was "only" lifeless, LME49860 little less lifeless, not too convincing also, but much better than OPA2134.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #1,266 of 1,324
Hey all,

I don't see this covered anywhere, though the topic is definitely broached.  I just got the E17 and E09 combo.  It's cool, EXCEPT I have rockit speakers, which are self powered professional studio monitors with independent volume on the back of each speaker.  Someone references this in the thread, but no one really confronts the painfully obvious issue that when i listen to the headphones, the speakers are still on??

Why does this unit not have a switch to kill the line/pre-out??

Do I have to return this combo?  It seems hard to believe there could be such a HUGE design flaw?  How are others dealing with using speakers and headphones--since there doesn't appear to be any kind of switch?

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,267 of 1,324
Quote:
Hey all,

I don't see this covered anywhere, though the topic is definitely broached.  I just got the E17 and E09 combo.  It's cool, EXCEPT I have rockit speakers, which are self powered professional studio monitors with independent volume on the back of each speaker.  Someone references this in the thread, but no one really confronts the painfully obvious issue that when i listen to the headphones, the speakers are still on??

Why does this unit not have a switch to kill the line/pre-out??

Do I have to return this combo?  It seems hard to believe there could be such a HUGE design flaw?  How are others dealing with using speakers and headphones--since there doesn't appear to be any kind of switch?

when i'm using headphones, i depress the power button on my speakers.
simple problem, simple solution.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #1,268 of 1,324
After two years or so of ownership my Fiio E9 is starting to break down.  The hiss we all experience while adjusting the volume is now present much of the time the amp is turned on.  Sometimes I can fiddle with the volume pot to make it stop but as of now I am looking for a new headphone amp.  I was impressed with the quality of the amp for the price when I bought it but I cannot recommend it in terms of long term durability.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,269 of 1,324
Quote:
After two years or so of ownership my Fiio E9 is starting to break down.  The hiss we all experience while adjusting the volume is now present much of the time the amp is turned on.  Sometimes I can fiddle with the volume pot to make it stop but as of now I am looking for a new headphone amp.  I was impressed with the quality of the amp for the price when I bought it but I cannot recommend it in terms of long term durability.

That's what happens to cheap Chinese crap after a just few years.  Next time, it will serve you well to save up a little more and buy something decent, perhaps made by a real person (maybe in this country) who actually cares about the buyer.  

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,270 of 1,324
Quote:
That's what happens to cheap Chinese crap after a just few years.  Next time, it will serve you well to save up a little more and buy something decent, perhaps made by a real person (maybe in this country) who actually cares about the buyer.  

So says the guy with all that "Chinese built crap" in his profile.

Sounds like a bit of racism to me.

Maybe you should sell your Chinese imac and find a computer 100% built inside the USA. Good luck with that! It's impossible!

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,271 of 1,324
Quote:

Maybe you should sell your Chinese imac and find a computer 100% built inside the USA. Good luck with that! It's impossible!

Indeed, I can't really find an equivalent computer that is handmade and made in this country. So, yes it's impossible!  But it's not with headphone amps!  So what were you trying to say?

Whereas, there a many great audiophile products that are inexpensive and made in this country.  It's not so much a race thing than it is an economics thing....it's cheap to make cheap plasticky products that crap out in a few years.  And this is exactly what is going on with iFiio.  

I've heard countless stories of people who's Fiio products crap out in less than two years.  This should not be acceptable, yet people keep buying this crud because it's so damn cheap.  I've had a Ray Samuels Hornet amp since 2007 and it works absolutely perfectly and I know that it sounds a lot better than these cheap digital amps.    

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #1,272 of 1,324
Quote:

I think most of the expensive POSIX-compatible (AIX, HP-UX, RHEL) servers and mainframes (AS/400, OS/390) are still built inside the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back