FiiO E9 Review
Jan 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,307 of 1,324
Hello there.
I have E07 docked with E09 connected to PC (Windows 7) with USB; I can adjust gain, volume and EQ via the E07 when it's driving speakers, and when headphones are plugged.
And when headphones are plugged in to the E09 I can adjust volume with both the E09 and the E07, and EQ on the E07...PC settings say that the E07 is the SPDIF interface in use.
Sounds good to me...

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,308 of 1,324
I have to go to work now, will get back to you this evening.

EDIT: Back from work.

This is interesting stuff, I wonder what's going on.

My E9 is connected via USB to my desktop pc that's running Windows 8. The E7 is docked in the E9 (which is necessary in order for the USB DAC feature to work, for example if im listening to music on foorbar2000 and I undock the E7 it stops all sound etc).
Headphones are going to the E9 of course (left hand side 3.5mm jack port).

Just switching the E9 on doesn't automatically mean sound comes through the E9, I have to go to 'Sound' found in Control Panel and select 'Speakers - USB Audio DAC' and set as 'Default Device'. (I have other speakers in this area such as desktop and 5.1 surround sound ones which I sometimes use, so I'm used to going in this area and changing).

I can increase Bass etc through this area by clicking on Properties>Enhancements>Bass Boost>Settings and specify what I want there.

I just double checked and when Im doing all this adjusting the volume or bassboost on the E7 does nothing at all, no effect on playback volume or music.

Using the logitech multimedia volume keys does nothing (tho i can see the adjustment bar), likewise if I go bottom right hand corner to system tray and adjust volume for Windows 8 there.

I am left with only two ways to change volume, the dial on E9 or in a music app such as foobar.

Perhaps u guys can test what happens during playback if when yer headphones are connected to the E9 and yer listening to music on the computer successfully through to yer headphones, pull the E7 out, do you lose sound playback like I do?

I wonder if there are different E7s or E9's?

Ahh wait... I think u guys might be using the E09K rather than what I have which is the older version simply E9.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,312 of 1,324
  I have to go to work now, will get back to you this evening.

EDIT: Back from work.

This is interesting stuff, I wonder what's going on.

My E9 is connected via USB to my desktop pc that's running Windows 8. The E7 is docked in the E9 (which is necessary in order for the USB DAC feature to work, for example if im listening to music on foorbar2000 and I undock the E7 it stops all sound etc).
Headphones are going to the E9 of course (left hand side 3.5mm jack port).

Just switching the E9 on doesn't automatically mean sound comes through the E9, I have to go to 'Sound' found in Control Panel and select 'Speakers - USB Audio DAC' and set as 'Default Device'. (I have other speakers in this area such as desktop and 5.1 surround sound ones which I sometimes use, so I'm used to going in this area and changing).

I can increase Bass etc through this area by clicking on Properties>Enhancements>Bass Boost>Settings and specify what I want there.

I just double checked and when Im doing all this adjusting the volume or bassboost on the E7 does nothing at all, no effect on playback volume or music.

Using the logitech multimedia volume keys does nothing (tho i can see the adjustment bar), likewise if I go bottom right hand corner to system tray and adjust volume for Windows 8 there.

I am left with only two ways to change volume, the dial on E9 or in a music app such as foobar.

Perhaps u guys can test what happens during playback if when yer headphones are connected to the E9 and yer listening to music on the computer successfully through to yer headphones, pull the E7 out, do you lose sound playback like I do?

I wonder if there are different E7s or E9's?

Ahh wait... I think u guys might be using the E09K rather than what I have which is the older version simply E9.

Yeah it's E07k and E09k. I tried pulling out the E07k while listening to something and the music stops playing through the headphones.

Like I said, I can control volume, bass, treble, gain etc. via the E07k. Can also adjust volume using laptop and E09k.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,319 of 1,324
I was just thinking about it. Was kind of hoping that someone interested in buying one would check this forum and inquire. But of course I can post it. How much do you think a lightly used one should go for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back