FiiO E9 Review
May 3, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #886 of 1,324
I've had mine for about a month now. Similar first impressions.  I let it run for 4 days straight and it did smooth out.  Even now, it still seems to be breaking in/smoothing out.  
It may just be my ears as at times it sounds wonderful, and at other times, somewhat harsh. All in all, loving how effortlessly the E9 is driving my Senn HD600's. Still not sure that it's my end game.

I'm just getting that taste too.. started out the year with a uDac & Grado SR80i.. went tho the uDac2 and Sennheiser HD600.. added the FiiO E7 and Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.. added the E9.. just received the Moon Audio Black Dragon cable for my 600's.. have a Matrix Mini-i on order.. and it's only May!!  Wanting the HD650's and researching the AKG Q701's..
Yup.. t's going to be a long and expensive road :)

May 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #887 of 1,324

Quote:
I might add that is chunkier than I thought it would be from the weight specs (still feels very light to lift the amp) and looking at the dock on top it makes perfect sense to use this as an iPod dock - I believe there is an optional adapter to do just that ?

I don't think there is an adapter, the Fiio E9i is an E9 with an iPod dock instead of an E7 dock.

May 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #888 of 1,324

Quote:
I've had mine for about a month now. Similar first impressions.  I let it run for 4 days straight and it did smooth out.  Even now, it still seems to be breaking in/smoothing out.  
It may just be my ears as at times it sounds wonderful, and at other times, somewhat harsh. All in all, loving how effortlessly the E9 is driving my Senn HD600's. Still not sure that it's my end game.

I'm just getting that taste too.. started out the year with a uDac & Grado SR80i.. went tho the uDac2 and Sennheiser HD600.. added the FiiO E7 and Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.. added the E9.. just received the Moon Audio Black Dragon cable for my 600's.. have a Matrix Mini-i on order.. and it's only May!!  Wanting the HD650's and researching the AKG Q701's..
Yup.. t's going to be a long and expensive road :)

How do you feel about the E7/E9-->hd 600?  Do they pair well?  I've got my eye on the hd600s

May 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #889 of 1,324
Sorry to hear about bad first impression estreeter. Though its weird. If anything, the E9 leans on the slightly bright side.

Though if you're using the 3.5mm jack, then I can see where you are coming from. It's definitely darker and unrefined compared to the 1/4" jack.

May 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #891 of 1,324
Hey Scannon.. I do like the E7/E9 combo with the HD600's.  The combo is breaking in nicely and I really do enjoy it.  The E9 does drive the Senn's effortlessly.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, it does seem (to me) to be quite clinical. It doesn't add or subtract anything to the music and does bring out flaws in bad recordings.  May even call it a little unforgiving.  On good recordings.. it's outstanding!

Given that, I'm looking into a dac/amp combo that may be a little more musical.. so I have a Matrix Mini-i on order.  Even if the Matrix is just the sound I'm looking for, I'll definitely keep the E7/E9 combo and move it to the bedroom.

To answer your question, yes, they do pair will and I'm a huge fan of the HD600's.  For me, they're keepers.

May 3, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #892 of 1,324
Nothing to be 'sad' about MLE - if I was a burn-in skeptic, it might be a different story. I do need to be clear though - I find 'night and day' comparisons at 1000+ hours a bit hard to take - I doubt that I will be able to tell you exactly what the amp sounded like in 24 hours, much less in 6 months.

Quick edit - excellent service from our local E-Bay seller, soundsightfocus - had the amp to me two days after the order was placed. Thanks, Linda !

May 4, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #893 of 1,324
Why would it sound ANY different from the smaller jack? It uses the same output stage right? Do you mean the lower gain setting or what?

-Daniel

There's a 30ohm impedance resistor (?) on the 3.5mm to allow more volume pot travel with sensitive headphones. Whatever the case may be, the 3.5mm sounds inferior to the 1/4" with every headphone I've tested, including easy to drive headphones. Just IMHO.

May 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #894 of 1,324
Anyone tried running the Ultrasone Pro 900s through the Fiio E9 alone? (without E7)

EDIT: I ask because despite the Pro 900 having low impedance (40Ohm), they also have somewhat low sensibility (96dB)

May 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #896 of 1,324

Quote:
Roller, I think you mean 'low sensitivity' :)

OMG, just noted that
eek.gif
Nevermind me, it's been a tiring day, and I shall self flagellate as soon as possible to make ammends with the spirits of audio
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #897 of 1,324
As of today I believe  in amp burn in.  Yesterday I was thinking about getting rid of my headphones for hd600s.  Today, no such problem.  Well, I'm still thinking about getting the hd600s, but my denons aren't going anywhere.

May 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #898 of 1,324
Which op amp do I switch out for rolling?  All of them?  One, two?  I'm using the 3.5mm line in on the back being fed from my Xonar.  With ouput to the 1/4" headphone jack.  Also is there a way to upgrade the volume pot to a better one that doesn't give static?

May 5, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #899 of 1,324
So I'm really interested in getting these, but I don't want to wait to have enough money to purchase both the E7 and the E9 at the same time. I'm really trying to get an amp or DAC as soon as possible, because I don't even own one yet. Should I get the E7 first, or the E9 first? I'm definitely getting both, it's just, I need something ASAP.

And on a side note, will these even benefit the SQ of my headphones all that much? Cus I've been reading that you don't really see much of an improvement in easy-to-drive headphones, and I have AKG k271's, which are 55ohms, so I'm a little concerned.

May 5, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #900 of 1,324
Low ohms does not = easy to drive.

My HE-4 has lower ohms than your K271. Good luck pairing it up with 90% of amps out there.

If you don't have a DAC, I'd suggest getting the E7 first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back