Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #46 of 75
And so are you. What is it defected or flawed about E7? Is it because there isn't enough gain that makes an amp defected? It surely isn't. I am not saying E7 is perfect, but it is functional and up to the spec, just not up to some of your expectation. You are the one that seems to be confused between the concept of 'flaw' and 'not meeting expectation'. If E7 has listed a gain of 7dB and only delivers 3~4dB, I will call it defected / flawed - yet it is not the case. If you are not happy about only having a small gain factor and like to voice your opinion, it is all okay for me. Will a selectable gain switch be helpful from the beginning? Sure it would. However, if someone feels that the volume is not enough only because (s)he has not used it in the optimum way, I would think my comment on the analog-in (DAP's HO vs. LO) might be of good help with them (I mean, how difficult it is to turn up the HO volume?). After all, it is pretty common knowledge (at least in Head-fi) that if you want to properly amp the HO, you should make sure the volume is higher on the DAP to get the best dynamic range. Why is there the sharing of such knowledge must be of any agenda or cynical purpose?

A 150mph-top-speed sports car won't run up to 300mph even if you wish it can do it, nor does it must be flawed because the car maker now think they can modify the car due to popular demand to 300mph. Well it will be a big problem of false advertising if the car maker claims the car can run faster than it could before the modification, but they didn't. I certainly don't recall FiiO telling people that E7 has more than 3~4dB gain.

On a side note, I think it is not a secret I am in regular talk (i.e. opinion and feedback) with FiiO (in fact, with a few other manufacturer as well). As to why a small gain is used on E7, the reason (as I was told during early development) being that it is more suitable to E7 targeted audience, the fast growing netbook user, considered that they most likely will not be using any hard-to-drive headphone (i.e. regular earbud and IEM) and mainly are looking for an upgrade from internal sound card. If the gain is too high, it will be difficult for people with sensitive headphone. Also, the same gain setting has been utilized on E5 and seems to work very well for FiiO so far. It is a product aims for the general public, not Head-fier. FiiO is just trying to make VW Golf level of products for the mass at most, not your sports or luxury car lover. If any people think FiiO can make cheap amp with magical properties, well it is just not going to happen. Amp is never the magic cure for SQ, and never will be. I don't care much about whether anyone really feels there must be an agenda behind what I have said, nor does it necessary means what I have posted is wrong. I am only here to explain my POV, ciao.

Quote:
As usual you fail to see the forest thru the trees.  They are only making a new version w/ increased gain because of the complaints to which you have said are unjustified.  It was clear from Fiio's post this was not product progression but a specific response to complaints.  You continue to defend a product that even the manufacturer considers to be flawed for some reason.  Quite suspect.  Keep telling everyone not happy w/ the E7 that they don't know how to use it.  I guess they are just holding it wrong huh.  How about you just accept that some people don't like the product and move on.  I honestly don't care about the E7 either way.  I do care that some of the defense of it seems to have an agenda.  If I go shopping for a sports car and you sell me a luxury car I guess I shouldn't complain because what I was really after was comfort and not speed, I just wasn't smart enough to know it.  Thx.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #47 of 75

Quote:
Was originally thinking of getting the cmoy but the E7 also looks like a good pick. Im not sure which one to get and if you guys could help me thatd be great. By the way i will be using these with my ipod classic and my ATH-M50s

Original Post

Quote:
Cmoy.  The E7 is said to be pretty much worthless unless you use the DAC input only.

My response

Quote:

A 150mph-top-speed sports car won't run up to 300mph even if you wish it can do it, nor does it must be flawed because the car maker now think they can modify the car due to popular demand to 300mph. Well it will be a big problem of false advertising if the car maker claims the car can run faster than it could before the modification, but they didn't. I certainly don't recall FiiO telling people that E7 has more than 3~4dB gain.

On a side note, I think it is not a secret I am in regular talk (i.e. opinion and feedback) with FiiO (in fact, with a few other manufacturer as well). As to why a small gain is used on E7, the reason (as I was told during early development) being that it is more suitable to E7 targeted audience, the fast growing netbook user, considered that they most likely will not be using any hard-to-drive headphone (i.e. regular earbud and IEM) and mainly are looking for an upgrade from internal sound card. If the gain is too high, it will be difficult for people with sensitive headphone. Also, the same gain setting has been utilized on E5 and seems to work very well for FiiO so far. It is a product aims for the general public, not Head-fier. FiiO is just trying to make VW Golf level of products for the mass at most, not your sports or luxury car lover. If any people think FiiO can make cheap amp with magical properties, well it is just not going to happen. Amp is never the magic cure for SQ, and never will be. I don't care much about whether anyone really feels there must be an agenda behind what I have said, nor does it necessary means what I have posted is wrong. I am only here to explain my POV, ciao.

Like I said, you continue to miss the point.  Thank you for agreeing with me and finally acknowledging the Cmoy is better at almost half the price  ($99 Micca store http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280948211&sr=8-1) of the E7 for the OPs intent.  Which is the VW Golf here?  Thx for completely misinterpreting the car analogy btw.  

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #48 of 75
...and thanks for putting words in my mouth. In case you haven't notice, my OP wasn't replying to the first post but to the later discussion on volume. Well that seems like a good waste of time for me then, but before I leave the discussion: $65 / $85 =/= 0.5. Good day and have fun.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #49 of 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the Cmoy is better at almost half the price  ($99 Micca store http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280948211&sr=8-1) of the E7 for the OPs intent.

You maybe didn't choose the right store, E7+mini to mini cable+free shipping for$84.58.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #50 of 75

Quote:
Who knows? I doubt they even finish any re-designing it yet, left alone any firm release date. I do know they are still trying to fulfill their current order, which should take them some time.

On a side note, if you have money for a T3, goes for it. It is pretty big step up from both E7 and cmoy.

Seems like FiiO is making a change to the E7 based on whatever reason, customer complaints, detected design flaw, etc.
Hopefully FiiO will make version 2 distinguishable from version 1 with proper labelling on the device and box.
And a public press release to notify future customers of a change.
Or it's going to be difficult and unfair to the consumer.

Thank you for your recommendation for the T3.  I'll definitely consider it. 

I'm contemplating between the cMoyBB v2.02 or iBasso T3.  Or I might just go directly to an iBasso D4
to clear any doubts. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #51 of 75
Fiio?  LOD cheap and works.  Amps? Meh... Might as well not even amp if considering fiio.  Get a CMOY.  Also pay attention to people on threads for Fiio products, same people praising Fiio products and carrying the threads like the feisty blue robot friend above me.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #52 of 75
Say what you want, High_Q, as if anyone cares.

On the other hand, I just grab a cMoyBB v2.02 from another member in the FS forum and hopefully it will be here within two weeks. There will be a comparison of course.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #54 of 75

Quote:
Say what you want, High_Q, as if anyone cares.

On the other hand, I just grab a cMoyBB v2.02 from another member in the FS forum and hopefully it will be here within two weeks. There will be a comparison of course.

Yay, reviews! Can you compare it with your ibasso t3, please?

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #55 of 75
Quote:
@ClieOS: How do you like the cMoyBB v2.02 so far?

A great cMoy amp! Probably the best of any cMoy I have heard and certainly better than all other cMoy I currently have - though I do find the default OPA2227 a pretty big limiting factor so far. Detail comparison will have to wait.

Quote:
Yay, reviews! Can you compare it with your ibasso t3, please.

Yes I can, but not just yet. I have 4 other reviews / impression I need to write first, so it has to wait to later next week or the week after next.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #56 of 75

Quote:
A great cMoy amp! Probably the best of any cMoy I have heard and certainly better than all other cMoy I currently have - though I do find the default OPA2227 a pretty big limiting factor so far. Detail comparison will have to wait.

Yes I can, but not just yet. I have 4 other reviews / impression I need to write first, so it has to wait to later next week or the week after next.

In what ways do you find the OPA2227 a limiting factor?  Is it lack of detail or depth in soundstage? I'm just curious and may purchase one and change opamps if it lacks in these areas, or maybe I should  not!

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #57 of 75
OPA2227 sounds fine if you compare it to OPA2134, but to me the treble is unrefined and the overall presentation is a bit thin on the cMoyBB. I tried OP275, AD8066 and AD8620 (one of them doesn't work with bass boost but I forgot which, probably OP275) and all of them sound smoother, better body, and more resolving then OPA2227. I'll make a more detail note in the review.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #58 of 75
Thanks Clioes for your reply. Resolving or maybe lack of resolution could be where the OPA 2227 has it weakness compared to some "better" opamps, although I always felt it had some warmth to it's sounds, but could be depended on other components in it's particular setup.
It's probably a cheaper option for some manufactures or I could very much wrong. Anyway, your info has great value to me in my decision. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #59 of 75
I don't know if this is classified as thread necro, but I'd like to know how the cmoyBB measures up to the new E7 with increased gain(?). I'm tossing up between the two (and perhaps the ibasso T3D if I can source it).

I assume that the new E7 is out now, but how do you tell the difference between the old version?

Btw, they're selling them out of Malaysia for AU$90. I emailed them asking for the new version, and they said yes, the shipment is only 2 weeks old, so I assume it's the new one.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #60 of 75
I am not sure if the new E7 is out or not (nor did I hear it), so I can't really comment on that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back