FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Aug 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #436 of 611
What and they dont sound any good to you? File quality?

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #437 of 611
I have been playing FLAC files.  It just sound so much more distant (especially the vocals) compared to how it sounds when I play them through the computer.  The detail is there but something is off that really gets in the way of my enjoyment.  Perhaps it is just an EQ issue, but I cannot seem to get them to match the more natural sound off of the PC.

Maybe it is just psychoacustics, but from everything I have read I had every reason to expect that it would sound great.  I was hoping to find that I just needed a better amp so I would have an easy fix.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #438 of 611
Do you have Rockbox? is it a cross feed issue?

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #440 of 611
From the Rockbox web site:

Crossfeed attempts to make the experience of listening to music on headphones more similar to listening to music with stereo speakers. When you listen to music through speakers, each ear will hear sound originating from both speakers. However, the sound from the left speaker reaches your right ear slightly later than it does your left ear, and vice versa.
The human ear and brain together are very good at interpreting the time differences between direct sounds and reflected sounds and using that information to identify the direction that the sound is coming from. On the other hand, when listening to headphones, each ear hears only the stereo channel corresponding to it. The left ear hears only the left channel and the right ear hears only the right channel. The result is that sound from headphones does not provide the same spatial cues to your ear and brain as speakers, and might for that reason sound unnatural to some listeners.
The crossfeed function uses an algorithm to feed a delayed and filtered portion of the signal from the right channel into the left channel and vice versa in order to simulate the spatial cues that the ear and brain receive when listening to a set of loudspeakers placed in front of the listener. The result is a more natural stereo image that can be especially appreciated in older rock and jazz records, where one instrument is often hard-panned to just one of the speakers. Many people will find such records tiring to listen to using earphones and no crossfeed effect.
Crossfeed has the following settings:
Crossfeed. Selects whether the crossfeed effect is to be enabled or not. Direct Gain. How much the level of the audio that travels the direct path from a speaker to the corresponding ear is supposed to be decreased. Cross Gain. How much the level of the audio that travels the cross path from a speaker to the opposite ear is to be decreased. High-Frequency Attenuation. How much the upper frequencies of the cross path audio will be dampened. Note that the total level of the higher frequencies will be a combination of both this setting and the Cross Gain setting. High-Frequency Cutoff. Decides at which frequency the cross path audio will start to be cut by the amount described by the High-Frequency Attenuation setting. Most users will find the default settings to yield satisfactory results, but for the more adventurous user the settings can be fine-tuned to provide a virtual speaker placement suited to ones preference. Beware that the crossfeed function is capable of making the audio distort if you choose settings which result in a too high output level.

Trust me   simple is the way to go....

Maybe see if you can road test some amps at a store near you...take your rig and try some out...

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #442 of 611
Can I use Fiio E6 as amplifier to my sansa fuze and use it to drive externally powered speakers (for now it is creative cambridge soundworks ps2000).  If no, which other portable amplifier do you recommend. I don't want to transform the sound coming out of the player, so looking for a sort of neutral amplifier (like Fiio E6).

Thanks

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #443 of 611
Decided to pick one up not knowing if it would improve anything. Haven't had chance to try it with my laptop yet but wow with my s3 it is night and day difference. I expected the higher bass boost to be overpowering and muddy the sound but I think because my hfi-580s are quite harsh and bright up the high end it balances out into an amazing, rumbling bass yet clear mids and highs experience. Thoroughly recommended! 

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #444 of 611
Nice!

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #445 of 611
I might be sounding slightly dumb, but... do people amp IEMs? (specifically the Shure SE215s). The E6 hits the bullseye of my budget, but would it enhance my audio experience? (I haven't got a pair of decent headphones :/, though I wish I did)

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #446 of 611
Quote:
I might be sounding slightly dumb, but... do people amp IEMs? (specifically the Shure SE215s). The E6 hits the bullseye of my budget, but would it enhance my audio experience? (I haven't got a pair of decent headphones :/, though I wish I did)

Yes. Not sure about your Shures but quite a few of my IEMs definitely benefit from amping. Sometimes the DAP just doesn't provide the level of "oomph" you need. The E6 also has a few EQ boosts I believe to crank up the bass, etc..

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #447 of 611
Quote:
Yes. Not sure about your Shures but quite a few of my IEMs definitely benefit from amping. Sometimes the DAP just doesn't provide the level of "oomph" you need. The E6 also has a few EQ boosts I believe to crank up the bass, etc..

Good for a Volume boost..when your MP3 player cant cut it......also add Bass with the EQ function...

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #448 of 611
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Good for a Volume boost..when your MP3 player cant cut it......also add Bass with the EQ function...

That's pretty nice then, Since I'm using an iPod Nano 4G as my primary source, do I really have to get a LOD, or will the M/M cable that comes with the E6 suffice?

(mainly because the LOD's price is near equivalent with the amp itself)

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #449 of 611
Dunno i use a Clip +...

But I think a LOD is required

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #450 of 611
Hi,

I have a weird hiss in my recently bought E6, but not all the time.

My setup is as follows:
Asus Vivobook -> HDMI cable to Dell pc monitor -> E6 in headphone-out of pc monitor -> Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphone

The hiss exists only in this setup, it doesn't matter if I charge it (directly via external USB charger) or not.

When I attach the E6 directly to the headphone-out of my Vivobook, there's no hiss (but the general sound quality is a bit poor, so not preferable).
When I attach the headphone directly to the monitor (so no E6), there's no hiss either.

The hiss get's louder only if I turn up the volume of the E6.
What could be wrong? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back