FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #91 of 611

Quote:
Thanks for the review. The best point of the E6 is that it seems to get rid of the low bass roll off that the E5 featured no matter the load. Thus to get a ruler flat frequency off balanced armatures the E6 seems to be the cheapest way (May be that's the reason for the Westone bundle).

If it just keeps up in distortion (Which apparently do) and it improves a bit the crosstalk performance of the E5 it might be a really strong bang for the buck gadget.

Yes. The bass rolls off is a side effect for the small coupling caps used in E5 / E7. FiiO managed to remove some of the caps because of the new power circuit so it runs more linearly now. That is one of the reason why it also sounds better than E5 / E7. As far as the RMAA test I ran between E5 and E6, the result are a general improvement on all front except for THD (0.024% > 0.032%). Thought number is so small it really doesn't matter. Most noticeable improvement are on intermodulation distortion + noise (0.299% > 0.073%) and stereo crosstalk (-78.7dB > -82.5dB). The result is of course a good explanation of why E6 sounds cleaner than E5.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #92 of 611
Even though i own an iBasso T3 and i still have a working E5 i think i'm getting the E6 as it might be handy in several scenarios.

Thanks a bunch for you review and RMAA.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #94 of 611
The problem with the new Walkmans is the sound level limitation. Thats why I love my good old A818, witch has an option to disable it with ease. I recently got the Fiio L5 cable and i'm very happy with it, but since my E5 has suffered very hard times and it's difficult to adjust the volume, I'm planning to get the E6. The thing I really like is that the volume buttons are not on the same side with input/output connections.
As far as I know, there aren't really any alternative choices at this price, right?

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #98 of 611

Quote:
I'll say E6 is better than T4 overall.

eek.gif
that's  a surprise

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #99 of 611

Quote:
eek.gif
that's  a surprise

Market has changed a lot since T4 almost 3 years ago, so there's no really that surprising to find newer amp kicking the old one around.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #102 of 611
We've shipped out quite a few E6's already, hopefully their new owners can chime in with some additional feedback in the coming days.

Jack

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #105 of 611
I just got mine yesterday from Micca Store through Amazon. Although I wont be using the amp for quite the same thing as most people, I'll go ahead and post my opinions anyway.

I have to first say that I wouldn't really consider myself and audiophile (yet), and I don't own any high quality headphones (again, yet; I've bean reading a lot on the forums here, and I think I'll be getting some ATH AD700s later in the year). Anyway, I'm using the amp to connect my headphones to the sound output on my video game consoles, as my TV doesn't have any headphone ports. I used a male 3.5mm headphone to double female RCA to connect the sound output from my Wii to the amp (and I keep the amp plugged into the Wii's USB port while using it so that I don't have to worry about batteries).

I tested the amp with several games and it worked great. The sound was crystal clear and there was no hiss unless I turned the volume up quite a ways, well over comfortable listening for me. I've tried it with all the EQs and I have to say that I liked the sound best with the EQs off. Though I did think that EQ 2 sounded good for games with an orchestrated soundtrack. The only negative I have is that twice I have heard a high pitch sound from my headphone; both times I made one full cycle through the EQs on the amp and it went away. I did try the amp with my Sansa Fuze (I have Rockbox installed), and although it didn't sound bad, I felt that it sounded better when I just plugged my headphones directly into the player. I should note that I haven't really used the amp with the Fuze much at all.

Over all I have to say I'm immensely satisfied with the sound quality of the amp. I've never heard my video games so clear; I've heard sounds I had never heard before, and it would sound even better with a good pair of headphones. I should also note that the amp felt well built, despite being very small and light. The wires that came with it also felt very sturdy, and the clips feel very strong.

I know my impressions probably won't be useful to most people because I'm using it for a different purpose than most, as well as not being very experienced in hi-fi sound, but I thought I'd give my two cents worth anyway.

I do have to say I highly suggest purchasing from Micca Store. The shipping was very fast; I ordered the amp on Monday, it shipped on Tuesday, and it got here on Thursday (and that's from Virginia to south Florida). The only issue I had, and it's minor, is that the free headphone splitter that came with the amp wasn't the best of quality. I could get my headphones into one of the jacks easily, but the other took quite a bit of force; when I tried to remove it, the headphone jack pulled out of the plastic guard surrounding it. This wasn't a big deal though since it was free, and I didn't really have a need for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back