FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #5,897 of 6,777
Quote:
"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"
Normal font is great to use. We can perfectly see it.

That happens due to consumer responce.

Generally, you do not want the computer to have anything less than 100% for 'volume' when you have a DAC attached and that volume control is directly interfacing with the DAC. This reduces the bit depth sent.

The E7 was made with FiiO thinking that up there. That you shouldn't turn the thing down from 100%. This is to guarantee quality.

Most people don't know this and are also of circumstance where they want to do it and dont' care. This created a problem as they thought it was a problem or didn't like the E7 not allowing them to change the volume when it was connected.

FiiO thus with the E17 changed it so that you can change volume. Of course, keeping at 100% is still fully recommended, but now people can do whatever they want.

thank you

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #5,898 of 6,777
Just got the e17 today. It's my first headphone dac/amp and i'm impressed. I wasn't expecting it to improve the sound a whole lot but it made an immediate difference when using it via usb on my 2008 macbook. Even with low impedance headphones there was a noticeable difference. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #5,899 of 6,777
Excellent! Congrats on your E17 and welcome to the club!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #5,900 of 6,777
Just got the e17 today. It's my first headphone dac/amp and i'm impressed. I wasn't expecting it to improve the sound a whole lot but it made an immediate difference when using it via usb on my 2008 macbook. Even with low impedance headphones there was a noticeable difference. 
smily_headphones1.gif
Right on. Welcome!

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #5,901 of 6,777
Hi, I am a complete newbie to all things hi-fi so bear with me please..

so I am thinking of getting Fiio E17 for use with my laptop (lenovo t430s) and IEMs.

my question: can I also use Fiio E17 with my mp3 player, and connect it to my integrated amp (3.5mm - RCA cable), for use with  my floorstanding hifi speakers (totem hawk)? or is this ridiculous and not possible..

thanks in advance 

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #5,902 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi, I am a complete newbie to all things hi-fi so bear with me please..

so I am thinking of getting Fiio E17 for use with my laptop (lenovo t430s) and IEMs.

my question: can I also use Fiio E17 with my mp3 player, and connect it to my integrated amp (3.5mm - RCA cable), for use with  my floorstanding hifi speakers (totem hawk)? or is this ridiculous and not possible..

thanks in advance 

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!"

Yes, you can use the E17 with your MP3 player. Depending on what kind of MP3 player it is. It will only provide additional driving power and EQ controls and tonality. If it's an iPod, you can get better quality with the E17 if you also get an LOD.

You can use the E17 as a DAC and then use the L7 to line out to the floorstanding speakers own amplifier. Otherwise, the second one isn't a good idea for the E17 to driving full size speakers.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #5,903 of 6,777
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

yes my mp3 player is ipod/iphone.. so in addition to E17, I should buy the L9 LOD for the ipod and L7 for connecting to my integrated amp (for my floorstanding speakers)?

Thanks again!

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #5,904 of 6,777
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

yes my mp3 player is ipod/iphone.. so in addition to E17, I should buy the L9 LOD for the ipod and L7 for connecting to my integrated amp (for my floorstanding speakers)?

Thanks again!

For best performance, you should use the L9 or L11 or L3 LOD with your iPod.

It may not be useful to use the E17 as a DAC. The L7 outputs 3.5mm so you need to find out how your florrstanding speakers operate and what they are already plugged into.

It also matters what headphones you are using as some may not benefit from the adition of an E17

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #5,905 of 6,777
re: L7 - I was thinking of using a standard 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable which would go to my integrated amp (where my floorstanding speakers are connected to). but then again I saw that the L7 has usb input, so does that mean I can only use my laptop (via usb) as the source? I don't quite understand how I would be able to connect my ipod to the integrated amp with the L7.. the intention is basically to be able to play music on my computer or mp3 player with my floorstanding speakers.. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #5,907 of 6,777
re: L7 - I was thinking of using a standard 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable which would go to my integrated amp (where my floorstanding speakers are connected to).

That's all you need. iPod>E17 > 3.5mm to RCA cable to your amp > speakers.

Cheers.

The connection between iPod and E17 can be either 3.5mm to 3.5mm or the Fiio LOD.

Your choice.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #5,908 of 6,777
Wouldn't that be an analogue line out of the Ipod ? And if so ,then why use the E17 ?
It's like triple amping , as its going into an integrated or or per amp?
Or has the iPod got digital out into the E17 ?

-----------------------------------

Does the USB input sound worse than the optical, if you only listen to maximum 24/96 files? , is there a benefit to using the optical input instead of the USB ?

The back of my Dell XPS 420 desktop has an RCA coaxial output , what is the best way of connecting this to the optical in of the E17? Could someone please recommend a cable available in the UK ?
Thanks

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #5,909 of 6,777
For your coaxial, use the adapter that came with the E17 (RCA to 3.5mm TRS) and any RCA patch cable to the RCA on your computer. Don't forget to set the input of the E17 to COX.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #5,910 of 6,777
Quote:
So u are saying the latest batches of the E17 got issues? How was the sound quality from the combo?

Sorry for the late reply. No. I am not saying the latest batches of E17 has issues. Although I have not heard of the new batch of E17, they should sound the same. Else someone in the forum would have mentioned it. I mentioned I using the original earlier batch of E17 is for your information. Comparing my E17 to the new E17 photos at Fiio website, I noticed that the 4 screws at the back is now allan (hex key) screws. My E17 is using philip screws.

The sound quality is good. The sound quality is better than iPhone 4s but not significant. Below is the setups for the comparison with iPhone 4s.
1) JH16 connecting to E17. E17 is connected to iPhone 4s using Fiio L3 cable.
2) JH16 connecting directly to iPhone 4s output.

The sound quality should be better if the E17 is connected to a laptop with optical cable. I can't test that cause my laptop don't have optical output.

For now, this amp is good enough me. When I have extra cash in the future, I might try out other more expensive amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back