FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #5,836 of 6,777
Quote:
That's because Off is not truly Off, its in a standby mode waiting for the touch of the button or a power signal from the dock. The standby circuitry they use just draws a little too much power. I like a nice switch that disconnects the battery when off. That way months later when you turn it on there is still a majority of the charge left. Doesn't help with dock signals but you can't have it all...
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Many thanks for the explanation - makes complete sense, I'm with you on the "totally off" switch - that would be great.

Cheers,

Andy

May 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #5,837 of 6,777
I mean Ill just post here to say I love mine.  

This is my first DAC and greatly augments my listening exprence.

Pretty powerful equelizer aswell.  Its fun to plug this into an auxilary cord in a car play the music then start cranking up the EQ to freak out your friends

May 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #5,838 of 6,777
Quote:
I mean Ill just post here to say I love mine.  

This is my first DAC and greatly augments my listening exprence.

Pretty powerful equelizer aswell.  Its fun to plug this into an auxilary cord in a car play the music then start cranking up the EQ to freak out your friends

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"

There are many EQ's availble now adays but I guess it is fun 
rolleyes.gif

May 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #5,839 of 6,777
Quote:
it take 3 or 4 seconds to reset E7/E17.

We will discuss with Tenor to see how we can do to help our user with the compatible problem about win xp, win 7, mac os! 

I am having the same problem(s) as Feckie reported. Macbook (running OS X 10.6.8) does not recognize new E17 via USB, so it cannot be used as an external USB DAC. Starting the Mac in Boot Camp Win7 does not work any better. I will try on other computers when I get to me office. However, I wanted to post this inquiry asap hoping that someone might notice my new message in a relatively old thread and perhaps direct me to some more useful replies to help resolve this problem. I'm beginning to think this unit is just defective; if so, I will want to return it quickly and get another. I'll feel more certain if I cannot get it to connect on any other computers.

I've tried most suggestions I've found to resolve this, but no luck so far. I do not find a message indicating a resolution for Feckie's reported problems. I'd rather not return it, but really must be able to use it as an external DAC. I will get more for my university research lab if it can get it to work properly.
Thanks.

May 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #5,840 of 6,777
Quote:
I am having the same problem(s) as Feckie reported. Macbook (running OS X 10.6.8) does not recognize new E17 via USB, so it cannot be used as an external USB DAC. Starting the Mac in Boot Camp Win7 does not work any better. I will try on other computers when I get to me office. However, I wanted to post this inquiry asap hoping that someone might notice my new message in a relatively old thread and perhaps direct me to some more useful replies to help resolve this problem. I'm beginning to think this unit is just defective; if so, I will want to return it quickly and get another. I'll feel more certain if I cannot get it to connect on any other computers.

I've tried most suggestions I've found to resolve this, but no luck so far. I do not find a message indicating a resolution for Feckie's reported problems. I'd rather not return it, but really must be able to use it as an external DAC. I will get more for my university research lab if it can get it to work properly.
Thanks.

Plug it into at least two more computers. If they also do not recognize it, its probably defective. This is of course if you do it right AND if its a 'normal' computer. Work computers if they aren't locked down may work as well but also be sure to try another 'regular' computer. 

May 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #5,841 of 6,777
Quote:
Plug it into at least two more computers. If they also do not recognize it, its probably defective. This is of course if you do it right AND if its a 'normal' computer. Work computers if they aren't locked down may work as well but also be sure to try another 'regular' computer. 

That was the obvious plan, but your diagnosis was wrong, bowei006. After a few hours of troubleshooting I have discovered what's defective, and it's not the E17.

This afternoon I tried 4 other 'work' computers, none were locked, abnormal, or normal, whatever that means: 1 iMac (10.6.8), 2 WinXP (32 bit), and 1 Win7 (64-bit), each in several ports. The E17 wasn't recognized by any of them. However, I then discovered the problem; the E17 is NOT defective, but FiiO's accessories are. I'd already tried another USB cable, one that came with my FiiO E11. With that cable, the E17 connected to charge, as with the original cable, but that's all. Now, however, I tried connecting the E17 to my iMac using another USB cable that I found in my office and suddenly the cause of this whole fiasco was clear -- those short USB cables from FiiO are inadequate. Two other USB cables I found in my office, and two more at home, ALL enabled the E17 to connect and be recognized as an external audio device by both Mac and Windows machines. Every USB cable I tried EXCEPT for the two from Fiio worked correctly and connected the E17 as an audio device. The cables supplied with the E17 and the E11 both allow charging but otherwise fail to connect the E17 to any computers. FiiO might make good amps & DACs but you can't trust their accessories --- a decent USB cable would've saved me a lot of time and trouble.

May 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #5,842 of 6,777
Quote:
That was the obvious plan, but your diagnosis was wrong, bowei006. After a few hours of troubleshooting I have discovered what's defective, and it's not the E17.

This afternoon I tried 4 other 'work' computers, none were locked, abnormal, or normal, whatever that means: 1 iMac (10.6.8), 2 WinXP (32 bit), and 1 Win7 (64-bit), each in several ports. The E17 wasn't recognized by any of them. However, I then discovered the problem; the E17 is NOT defective, but Fiio's accessories are. I'd already tried another USB cable, one that came with my Fiio E11. With that cable, the E17 connected to charge, as with the original cable, but that's all. Now, however, I tried connecting the E17 to my iMac using another USB cable that I found in my office and suddenly the cause of this whole fiasco was clear -- those short USB cables from Fiio are bad. Two other USB cables I found in my office, and two more at home, ALL enabled the E17 to connect and be recognized as an external audio device by both Mac and Windows machines. Every USB cable I tried EXCEPT for the two from Fiio worked correctly and connected the E17 as an audio device. The cables supplied with the E17 and the E11 both allow charging but otherwise fail to connect the E17 to any computers. Fiio might make good amps & DACs but you can't trust their accessories --- a decent USB cable would've saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Cable failure is one of the rarer aspects of the problem. I should have thought of that. Usually diagnosing means you would need to also brainstorm solutions as well.

Why can't you trust the accessories that FiiO bundles with their units? They don't make them as far as I know. They look to be generic ones that were picked out from an OEM to be used as the accessories for FiiO's products. But beyond that. There is no reason not to trust them. There have only been 3 cases I am familiar with on this thread with FiiOs cables failing. This thread has been viewed over a quarter million times. Many have bought a FiiO E17 if not many other FiiO devices thanks to threads on the devices. Cable failure is one of the rarest occurances I could see. Obviously I do not have numbers, only what people report online to Head-Fi. The most error's that happen with users is user-error or not using corect software/not knowing how to correctly setup and using that software with the E17. Second highest would usualy be a DOA or battery problems which happened due to the E17 being in storage for a while or just having a plain bad battery.

The morale of the story is. One experience doesn't mean a definite pattern. 

May 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #5,843 of 6,777
Quote:
I'd already tried another USB cable, one that came with my FiiO E11. With that cable, the E17 connected to charge, as with the original cable, but that's all.

The FiiO cable that comes with the E11 is a CHARGE only cable, it has no data lines connected as the E11 does not require any data. This should really be labeled in their manual and on the cable as it is confusing to some users.

If the cable you got with the E17 was as thin as the E11's they they packaged the wrong cable with the unit.
beerchug.gif

May 27, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #5,844 of 6,777
Quote:
-------------------------

If the cable you got with the E17 was as thin as the E11's they they packaged the wrong cable with the unit.
beerchug.gif

They do LOOK identical & that would explain this problem.

What I don't understand is why they'd risk this mistake & confusion, considering the consequence for the customer. Is a charge-only cable much cheaper (for FiiO)? Will it hurt my E11 to use a data cable to charge it? I don't know if I have any other charge-only USB cables -- never thought about that.  How can I recognize one? Even my 'normal' USB cables vary & are more or less thick or thin.

May 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #5,845 of 6,777
I don't know the volume of units that FiiO does, but with most manufacturing if you can shave a couple or cents off, 2 wires not used and one machine operation less, then over a few 100K units it starts to add up... And for small companies it can make a difference.

James from FiiO is on these forums and he is a great guy. He could probably answer that much better than I can.

Just plug your cables into the E17 and whatever ones don't bring it up as a DAC are probably charge only, you shouldn't have many of them, I've only seen this with my E11. And if they are not charge only but defective USB then there is a serious pile of them out there. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #5,848 of 6,777
Thanks for the explanation. Apparently just a packaging mistake.

I've accumulated a lot of USB cords, including some with mini (and a few micro) plugs. Don't think many, if any others, are 'charge only'. Guess FiiO has a reason, maybe something more than simply saving a few pennies (eg., faster charging?).

Obviously something for users to watch out for if they have any problem getting a computer to recognize their E17. It's easy to check and an easy fix -- just change the cable.

May 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #5,849 of 6,777
I’m planning to get the E17 later on when my T5p’s get in.
The low impedance of the T5p don’t really need an amp (32ohm) but I’m willing to jump in the amp boat. I have heard that the T5p’s don’t need an amp but would benefit from one.
After googling “FiiO E7 objective review “ (because I couldn’t find the newer E17) and found a nice objective review with measurements showing the good performance of the E7 ..
I consider the E17 to be a updated model that shares a lot of hardware with the E7. First I wanted to get the E12 and the E10 for desk but after reading a couple of NON objective reviews (I’m a shamed to say) that I opted not to go for the E12 and E10 and just go for the E17.
It is very difficult to find nice objective reviews showing what is what.. As a newbie in the audio world it is difficult for me to judge a statement like “darker souding” or “warmer souding” .
But being that the T5p is a High end headphone I hope that the FiiO E17 will compliment it. And using it as a DAC with Spdif out from my mac would be a nice upgrade from the default audio Jack out I think (hope)..
Well only time can tell I guess. Alas I did not have the option to listen to the T5p’s before I got them . No store has them in Stock.. The E17 I could order and give them a listen for 10 days and judge them..
If any of you have any tips or different recommendations please let me now..
Greets 

May 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #5,850 of 6,777
I would say the T5p is too good for the E17, it will just reveal the flaws
Aim higher to get the most out of the 5p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back