FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5,521 of 6,777
Congrats, enjoy. Make sure to come back and leave some comments once you get it.
Quote:
Finally bought an e17 and it will arrive tomorrow 
beerchug.gif

Never listened any DAC before except onboard pc cards. I'll share my first thoughts as soon as it arrives.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #5,523 of 6,777
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I received my new E17 Alpen today, and I am currently charging the battery. I am anxious to see how my AKG K240 MKII's sound with this little amp. More later...

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #5,524 of 6,777
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I received my new E17 Alpen today, and I am currently charging the battery. I am anxious to see how my AKG K240 MKII's sound with this little amp. More later...
"Welcome to Head Fi! Sorry about your Wallet"

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #5,525 of 6,777
I just got a e17 in the mail yesterday. Let it charge all night on a usb wall charger and it got nothing. I thought maybe it could be the charger so I plugged it into my laptop but still nothing. Do I have a dud or is there something I am missing. USB Charge is on. (Very annoyed)

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #5,526 of 6,777
I just got a e17 in the mail yesterday. Let it charge all night on a usb wall charger and it got nothing. I thought maybe it could be the charger so I plugged it into my laptop but still nothing. Do I have a dud or is there something I am missing. USB Charge is on. (Very annoyed)

It absolutely, positively will not turn on?
Sounds like a dud.
At least it should be under warranty!:xf_eek:

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #5,527 of 6,777

Make sure the hold switch is fully released - no orange visible. That's been a common cause of apparent duds.

Dale

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #5,528 of 6,777
Quote:

When it charged, was there a Red light on?  If not it wasn't charging ; could be a dud, or the cable could be bad and not passing the power.

If the red light was on and went off thru the night.....  Try pressing the reset button.  Here's why:

Once, and only once, when I charged it the first time from empty to full and left it plugged in for a few hours after it was fully charged (red light went off), it would not turn on when I unplugged it from the power and went to turn it on.  I pressed the tiny reset button w/a pin ; it started-up. And further this issue had never re-occurred again even after fully charging it an leaving it plugged in long after.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #5,530 of 6,777
It really is a kickass little amp and DAC. I love mine along with my AKG Q701. I've never been happier, and I've had "better" gear in the past.
Quote:
I really want one after reading this !

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #5,531 of 6,777
Quote:
Make sure the hold switch is fully released - no orange visible. That's been a common cause of apparent duds.

Now that's funny...

Many years ago we had one of our store manager's send in his whole stock of a certain Boom Box for repair because they made no sound... I sent them all back to him with an "Adjusted Tape Monitor Switch" on each work order. (I just pushed it to disengage it.)
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #5,532 of 6,777
When I use e17 as a dac-only with L7 line-out dock and lo-bypass is set to on, everything works as expected and I have no volume control, equalizer etc. But say I actually want to have some EQ and still to be able to connect e17 to an external amp - disabling lo-bypas does just that. So there is a question - is this mode really a line out or should this be avoided, as it leads to double amping?

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #5,534 of 6,777
Quote:
Ordered two e17's this week from amazon and both gave me a charging error (flashing red light) this is lame. I just want a working amp.

Sorry to hear that. While I have not had any troubles with mine in the two days I've owned it, I did experience some frustration in just getting it. 

I ordered mine from Micca Distributors (through Amazon) so that I'd get the free toslink cable (which is VERY nice quality). I ordered it on January 31st, and it was supposed to be delivered by February 11th. After it did not arrive by the 12th and there were no tracking updates since Feb 1st, I began to panic, so I contacted the seller that evening. In less than 2 hours I got a reply. The woman from customer service said it must have gotten lost by the Postal Service. She asked me if I wanted a refund or for them to ship another package out to me. I told her that I wanted to try the amp really bad, so asked her to please ship me another one. The next day she sent me the tracking info for the 2nd package, and I have to say I was very impressed with the great and speedy customer service!! 

Anyhow, the amp arrived on Wednesday, and I immediately opened it up and charged it. I have tried it with several different sources, from the optical out of my desktop PC, the USB from my laptop, the optical out of my Yamaha DVD-S2500 Universal Disc player, and the coaxial out of my Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray/SACD player, and it sounds great with all 4 sources. I would have to say that it is everything all the owners have said it is. Everything about it screams quality to me, from the packaging, to the build quality, to the great features, and most importantly the sound. In the 2 days I've used it around 10 hours, and the battery meter still shows it has a little more than half of its charge remaining. After getting it going and making any EQ and volume adjustments, I put it in hold mode, assuming that if the OLED screen was always on, it would significantly reduce battery life. Anyhow, my AKG K240 MKII's love this little gem of an amp as much as I do, and I couldn't be more happy with this purchase!!

Now, getting off topic a bit, can anyone please tell me why I can't upload pictures and change my avatar? Is there a minimum post count before one can do so? I tried to find info on the forum, with no luck. But I have seen others with between 10-20 posts that have changed their avatar. Thanks in advance!

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #5,535 of 6,777
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. While I have not had any troubles with mine in the two days I've owned it, I did experience some frustration in just getting it. 

I ordered mine from Micca Distributors (through Amazon) so that I'd get the free toslink cable (which is VERY nice quality). I ordered it on January 31st, and it was supposed to be delivered by February 11th. After it did not arrive by the 12th and there were no tracking updates since Feb 1st, I began to panic, so I contacted the seller that evening. In less than 2 hours I got a reply. The woman from customer service said it must have gotten lost by the Postal Service. She asked me if I wanted a refund or for them to ship another package out to me. I told her that I wanted to try the amp really bad, so asked her to please ship me another one. The next day she sent me the tracking info for the 2nd package, and I have to say I was very impressed with the great and speedy customer service!! 

Anyhow, the amp arrived on Wednesday, and I immediately opened it up and charged it. I have tried it with several different sources, from the optical out of my desktop PC, the USB from my laptop, the optical out of my Yamaha DVD-S2500 Universal Disc player, and the coaxial out of my Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray/SACD player, and it sounds great with all 4 sources. I would have to say that it is everything all the owners have said it is. Everything about it screams quality to me, from the packaging, to the build quality, to the great features, and most importantly the sound. In the 2 days I've used it around 10 hours, and the battery meter still shows it has a little more than half of its charge remaining. After getting it going and making any EQ and volume adjustments, I put it in hold mode, assuming that if the OLED screen was always on, it would significantly reduce battery life. Anyhow, my AKG K240 MKII's love this little gem of an amp as much as I do, and I couldn't be more happy with this purchase!!

Now, getting off topic a bit, can anyone please tell me why I can't upload pictures and change my avatar? Is there a minimum post count before one can do so? I tried to find info on the forum, with no luck. But I have seen others with between 10-20 posts that have changed their avatar. Thanks in advance!

My family orders tons of stuff from Amazon so we have a prime membership. It's how I was able to get two to my house within the week ($3.99 overnight shipping). I want to try and find the distributor you used, but my wife is going to give me an ear full if I do before the money for the two I already ordered clears. (Pavilion Electronics & SMICORP are the distributors I order from by the way.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back