FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #5,506 of 6,777
Quote:
Does E17's line out (with L7 dock) differ in SQ from line out of E10? Them seem to be using the same dac chips...

It may be a minor difference based on chips in the signal path, and implementations and that different receiver chips ( Tenor S/PDIF on E17) are used. I wouldn't expect it to be night and day.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #5,507 of 6,777
Can anyone tell me if the Tone Controls on the E17 are available when it's docked into the E9k Desktop Amp? In other words can the E17 be used as the "Preamp" in that scenario? I'd like a little more power, but I don't want to give up the Bass and Treble controls on the E17. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #5,508 of 6,777
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the Tone Controls on the E17 are available when it's docked into the E9k Desktop Amp? In other words can the E17 be used as the "Preamp" in that scenario? I'd like a little more power, but I don't want to give up the Bass and Treble controls on the E17. 

Yes, there are two options. You can keep EQ and Volume control or not keep it. This is done with the LO bypass switch on the side.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #5,509 of 6,777
Quote:
Yes, there are two options. You can keep EQ and Volume control or not keep it. This is done with the LO bypass switch on the side.

Finally!!! I've asked that question all over this place. 
tongue.gif

Any thoughts on what the E9k adds to the sonic signature as compared to the E17 alone? I have HE400 headphones that sound pretty darn good with the E17 alone, but I'm considering the E9k to add a little more headroom. I tend to listen LOUD most of the time. 

Also. Assume you dock the E17 and then plug the source (iPod) into the back of the E9k? Is that correct? 

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #5,510 of 6,777
Quote:
tongue.gif

Any thoughts on what the E9k adds to the sonic signature as compared to the E17 alone? I have HE400 headphones that sound pretty darn good with the E17 alone, but I'm considering the E9k to add a little more headroom. I tend to listen LOUD most of the time. 

Headfonia or Headfonics has reviews with the E09K.

I did not review E09K. And I no longer have E17. Sorry.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #5,511 of 6,777

Quote:
tongue.gif

Any thoughts on what the E9k adds to the sonic signature as compared to the E17 alone? 

Also. Assume you dock the E17 and then plug the source (iPod) into the back of the E9k? Is that correct? 

Yes, there are stereo RCA inputs on the back of the EO9K. There is also USB input, same place.

When you use optical > E17/E09K the optical plugs into the top of the (docked) E17.

Regarding the sound quality of E17 vs. E17>EO9K ..... (I began a reply to your PM but did not finish yet)  I have had the E09K for about a week - so I don't have a lot to say, other than this:   The short trial I did give it, plugged LCD2 into the front of the E09K<E17, the sound was good .. a lot of power (even on low gain setting), has a nice big smooth knob.

I heard nothing objectionable.* Which is to say, maybe, that it sounded like a higher powered E17. Remember it's been only a short session, but so far I'm really pleased with it. I find the E09K only enhances the E17 - I don't sense any added character to the sound.  

*that's kinda my way of saying simply "it sounds great", i.e. 'transparent', 'accurate', 'I hear the Music!'.

My plan for the E09K is not so much to have another 1/4" jack (amp) to listen through, but more for the features it offers as an "inline" processor ... to EQ a recording, use the DAC for music on the computer, run the pre-out to powered monitors, run the other Out to another tube amp, etc., etc.

I may even get another one for the other room!

Another handy feature I'll mention, applies to both E17 and the E17/09K combo: I use them as a sort of "tethered remote" ... for instance, the "bedside amp" while close enough for the 'phones cable, is too far to reach without crawling out of bed. 

With the Fiio combo on a nightstand (where it fits nicely), the line-outs running to the tube amp, I can adjust volume, tone, sleep timer, etc. right at the bedside. I did the same thing when I had the E17 alone.

Similarly, in the other listening room, my chair is not within arms-length of the component rack -- but I can place the Fiio combo near me, for easy adjustments.

beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #5,513 of 6,777
Quote:

Yes, there are stereo RCA inputs on the back of the EO9K. There is also USB input, same place.

When you use optical > E17/E09K the optical plugs into the top of the (docked) E17.

Regarding the sound quality of E17 vs. E17>EO9K ..... (I began a reply to your PM but did not finish yet)  I have had the E09K for about a week - so I don't have a lot to say, other than this:   The short trial I did give it, plugged LCD2 into the front of the E09K<E17, the sound was good .. a lot of power (even on low gain setting), has a nice big smooth knob.

I heard nothing objectionable.* Which is to say, maybe, that it sounded like a higher powered E17. Remember it's been only a short session, but so far I'm really pleased with it. I find the E09K only enhances the E17 - I don't sense any added character to the sound.  

*that's kinda my way of saying simply "it sounds great", i.e. 'transparent', 'accurate', 'I hear the Music!'.

My plan for the E09K is not so much to have another 1/4" jack (amp) to listen through, but more for the features it offers as an "inline" processor ... to EQ a recording, use the DAC for music on the computer, run the pre-out to powered monitors, run the other Out to another tube amp, etc., etc.

I may even get another one for the other room!

Another handy feature I'll mention, applies to both E17 and the E17/09K combo: I use them as a sort of "tethered remote" ... for instance, the "bedside amp" while close enough for the 'phones cable, is too far to reach without crawling out of bed. 

With the Fiio combo on a nightstand (where it fits nicely), the line-outs running to the tube amp, I can adjust volume, tone, sleep timer, etc. right at the bedside. I did the same thing when I had the E17 alone.

Similarly, in the other listening room, my chair is not within arms-length of the component rack -- but I can place the Fiio combo near me, for easy adjustments.

beerchug.gif

I like the tethered remote idea. The EO9K sounds like it would be ideal for my purposes. I very much like the sound my E17 puts out, so if the EO9K sounds as good I'd be very satisfied with that. As far as I know the E17 is the only Amp with true Bass and Treble controls built-in. That's a necessity for me. I'm quite impressed with the quality and the layout of the inputs and outputs. It's also the only one where I don't have to turn my iPod upside down in order to connect it. I wish more Amps had the inputs and outputs on opposite ends. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #5,514 of 6,777
A few problem I have with the E17 and E09K...

I have my E17 docked to the E09K most of the time, the E09K will turn the E17 on and off when it powers up and down.
The only problem is the screen on the E17 stays on the whole time risking possible screen burn-in. If you switch the hold button while the E17 is docked it's screen will go blank like it should, then if you power off the E09K the E17 stays powered on because it's in hold mode. I feel that the E17 when docked needs to follow the power of the E09K no matter what. 

A really nice feature would be to get rid of the "Sleep Timer" (who uses the Sleep Timer) and put in a "Display Timeout" function for when it's docked or not. That way the screen would blank, there would be no risk of screen burn-in and the hold button would not be required to blank the screen.

All in all a great little combo, adding a Display Timeout, a Power synchronize and possibly a back support for the E17 when it's docked. I just don't feel that the dock connector on either device is very solid compared to other devices I have that will dock.

These features would make the E17/E09K combo even better IMHO!
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #5,515 of 6,777
heya e17 owners, i have a odd question.

My situation is that i have a M-audio sound card with 1 digital spdif output and 2 analog outputs. Now currently i have the analog 1/4" jacks going to my schiit magni vs 1/4" to RCA cables. What i'm looking to do is add some studio monitors, however this will take up my 2 analog outputs, so i'd have to use the spdif coaxial to a DAC then to the magni for my headphones. I was wondering if anyone knows weather or not i could do Spdif IN on the E17, and still do lineout via the L7 LOD? I was wondering if maybe the bypass switch would accomplish this? 

Basically this would be my chain. 

M-Audio "Audiophile" 192 > Studio Monitors
                               + Spdif  > Fiio E17 > (hopefully using line-out) > Schiit Magni > headphones

I understand that worst case scenario i would just have to skip the LOD idea, and use the headphone amp to feed the magni, but i wanted to avoid that. I am looking at the E17 thinking hopefully i could get it to work on my desktop setup, and as a portable option.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #5,516 of 6,777
FIIO I have only one complaint.
Please make the very good quality velvet bag that you ship with it slightly larger.
With the rubber straps on I cannot put the amp and iPhone in the bag together.
Sooooooo annoying.

Other than that i have only praise for the little piece of kit that is the E17 amp, I love it

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #5,517 of 6,777
Quote:
heya e17 owners, i have a odd question.

My situation is that i have a M-audio sound card with 1 digital spdif output and 2 analog outputs. Now currently i have the analog 1/4" jacks going to my schiit magni vs 1/4" to RCA cables. What i'm looking to do is add some studio monitors, however this will take up my 2 analog outputs, so i'd have to use the spdif coaxial to a DAC then to the magni for my headphones. I was wondering if anyone knows weather or not i could do Spdif IN on the E17, and still do lineout via the L7 LOD? I was wondering if maybe the bypass switch would accomplish this? 

Basically this would be my chain. 

M-Audio "Audiophile" 192 > Studio Monitors
                               + Spdif  > Fiio E17 > (hopefully using line-out) > Schiit Magni > headphones

I understand that worst case scenario i would just have to skip the LOD idea, and use the headphone amp to feed the magni, but i wanted to avoid that. I am looking at the E17 thinking hopefully i could get it to work on my desktop setup, and as a portable option.

All you need is buy a L7 can connect to the dock of E17 , you will get the line out signal from the 3.5mm jack in L7. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #5,518 of 6,777
Quote:
FIIO I have only one complaint.
Please make the very good quality velvet bag that you ship with it slightly larger.
With the rubber straps on I cannot put the amp and iPhone in the bag together.
Sooooooo annoying.

Other than that i have only praise for the little piece of kit that is the E17 amp, I love it

the velvet bas is justo to store the E17, but we will consider to release some kinds of bag which can put a amp and a DAP( iPhone or others ) together inside the bag.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #5,520 of 6,777
Quote:

All you need is buy a L7 can connect to the dock of E17 , you will get the line out signal from the 3.5mm jack in L7. 

Awesome, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back