FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #5,492 of 6,777
Does USB charge impact sound quality on the E17 (I have one btw) or is that just placebo?

Depends if you have a $250 USB cable or not... There is a whole thread here for people who can hear differences in USB cables. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #5,493 of 6,777
I bought an E6 whilst buying a set of cans from MP4nation, not bad for loose change.

Bought a E10 to power my HM3's. Nice toy.

Bought a E17 as I wanted a good DAC / amp for home and work. Great bit of kit (for the price, but as if thats ever not relevant).

recommended, liked, enjoyed.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #5,494 of 6,777
I have an issue with my Fiio e17... Since I do have it on often during the day (and night) it appears that the characters on the lcd screen has burned it? So if I scroll, the burned in text overlaps the other menu options as I scroll through them. Is this is known issue? Can fiio send me a fixed one? Thanks

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #5,495 of 6,777
Quote:
Depends if you have a $250 USB cable or not... There is a whole thread here for people who can hear differences in USB cables.
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

sigh no i dont have that,

i would investigate but i have finger cramp
blink.gif
\

Quote:
I have an issue with my Fiio e17... Since I do have it on often during the day (and night) it appears that the characters on the lcd screen has burned it? So if I scroll, the burned in text overlaps the other menu options as I scroll through them. Is this is known issue? Can fiio send me a fixed one? Thanks

While LCD burn ins usally are not a device problem per se,
burn-in of screen is usually a technical issue with how LCD works itself but i recommend you contact FiiO anyway and see how it goes.

edit: added talismans's quote since i was passing through.

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #5,496 of 6,777
I left my LCD on. It didn't burn. I was still pretty unhappy I left it on though.

firstworldproblems.png

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #5,497 of 6,777

There is a screen time out option in seconds you have access to as well as an lock switch.

The only way it could have burned in from what i see is
1:device is broken or easily suceptiple to screen burn in do to rare chance
2: fiddling with the volume (with screen time out options enabled) so that it rarely turned off screen
3:you disabled screen time out.

The E17 comes with features to combat this as it was a problem with e7

The E17/E7/E07K use OLED matrixes. Not lcd

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #5,503 of 6,777

Quote:
This cable is male to female as it states in the title:

[size=1.7em] StarTech.com 6-Inch Micro USB to Mini USB Adapter Cable M/F (UUSBMUSBMF6).[/size]

I was going from the picture, which I suspect is correct.  But you are right to raise the issue given the description is contradictory.  

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #5,504 of 6,777
I bought an E17 about a week ago and I immediately noticed a strong fuel/petroleum like smell when I opened the box. I saw some posts in the E12 thread mentioning this but so far nothing about E17s with an odor. In order of worst to least affected:
silica gel pack (of course I tossed it out immediately)
the cloth/velvet bag (doubt I'll use this anyway)
silicone bands
rubber feet

I'm glad that these things are slowly airing out, but it is taking time. The 3.5mm cable and the two adapters had a negligible amount of smell if any at all.

The E17 itself is working great (no odor, but of course it has a real nice metal body, so I wouldn't expect it to absorb anything).

One thing I have noticed is often the red LED does not turn off even after the unit has been charging for hours (and the battery still had 50-75% of its life remaining when I start to charge it, so I don't think it should take hours to charge). I thought the red LED should turn off once the unit has charged completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back