FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #5,402 of 6,777

You forgot to write something? :)
Got battery issues myself. Just does not last long at all. Seems to lose charge quickly when not in use?

I'll look further into it when I find my enthusiasm!

Did you leave it in storage or leave it charging 24/7 or something?

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,403 of 6,777
Quote:
You forgot to write something?
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you leave it in storage or leave it charging 24/7 or something?

Leave it storage?

No I use it every other day, I only charge via macbook so would never leave that out let alone on 24 (let alone 7 :wink:

I honestly think (and I'm sure some will agree) that there is an issue with battery. I have not had it long (Xmas gift) though the Mrs has lost receipt blah blah blah so there's no chance of a return! It will last a fair few hrs but nothing compared to the E7 I had a few years back. Thanks for the help

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #5,404 of 6,777
Ok!

Now that I have the E09K sitting on the desk (Very Nice)... I need to know a few things, changing the volume on the E17 will change the output of the E09K. What is the recommended volume setting for the E17 when docked?

Also what is the recommended Gain setting as well?

All using USB input.

Or what settings do people use for driving higher impedance cans (DT880 Pro for example)

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #5,406 of 6,777
Quote:
I have the bypass switch on the E17 slid over, so the E09K controls volume - this bypasses the E17's volume. To drive my HD800's I have the gain on - on the E09K. And I use an Optical cable to my MacBook Pro.

With that setup (E17 docked in the E09) does the optical still go into the top of the E17, or does the base have an input?

Thanks much. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #5,408 of 6,777
I have the bypass switch on the E17 slid over, so the E09K controls volume - this bypasses the E17's volume. To drive my HD800's I have the gain on - on the E09K. And I use an Optical cable to my MacBook Pro.

Thanks GSARider, I forgot all about the bypass on the side... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #5,411 of 6,777
Quote:
Ok!

Now that I have the E09K sitting on the desk (Very Nice)... I need to know a few things, changing the volume on the E17 will change the output of the E09K. What is the recommended volume setting for the E17 when docked?

Also what is the recommended Gain setting as well?

All using USB input.

Or what settings do people use for driving higher impedance cans (DT880 Pro for example)

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

I always leave the gain on low.
The volume control has enough range for any headphone I own.
I even leave gain on low for my 600 Ohm DT880s.  I don't think I have ever had volume past 12 o'clock.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #5,412 of 6,777
I thought to chime in. If you have too low loudness, check the Bypass switch. It didn't seem to disable gain altogether, but reduced it considerably. I had one such gotcha myself.
Battery life of E17 was never great, even if taking care to put the screen to sleep. About 8 hours. It does not shut down the amplifier when nothing is connected.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #5,413 of 6,777
Yes indeed the E09k has some power to it, with the LO Bypass on and the gain switch on low it was driving the 880's very nicely. Ran my Tragically Hip compilation through it last night. Some fine listening for sure. The only thing is with the LO set you can't adjust Bass or Treble... But I guess that's what the EQ is for in foobar. :D

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #5,414 of 6,777
Quote:
Yes indeed the E09k has some power to it, with the LO Bypass on and the gain switch on low it was driving the 880's very nicely. Ran my Tragically Hip compilation through it last night. Some fine listening for sure. The only thing is with the LO set you can't adjust Bass or Treble... But I guess that's what the EQ is for in foobar.
biggrin.gif

Hey!
I live in Canada too!
But I don't like the Tragically Hip.
Does this mean I will be deported? 
wink_face.gif

Maybe I should mention I do like Tim Horton's?

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #5,415 of 6,777
I have found the battery life to be amazing on the E17. I have it driving my HD650s at 50 volume on the E17 with default gain and adjusted treble and bass to suit my liking. It has been cold recently in my area (-15C) and I have been taking my dog for walks with the E17 in my pocket with my iPhone and my HD650s. Cold usually kills battery life and I expected the E17 to be depleted after a 2 hour walk in -15C weather driving my headphones at high volume. Battery is at 70% from the looks of the bars after a 2 hour walk in cold weather. For me that is better than anything I could have expected. Hell I was even surprised that they were able to power my HD650s. 

I finally have the portable audio experience I always dreamed of. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back